Baltimore Bridge May Take 10 Years to Rebuild

The FSK bridge was a toll bridge, I assume the replacement will be as well.
I don't know what they will gain by making it higher- the FSK had 185 feet of clearance, and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge is something like 182 feet. Any ship that goes to Baltimore has to first clear the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, so....
Keep looking forward, eventually the CBB will need to be replaced.
I don't know what the benefit/cost is for raising the bridge(s) is.
I'm sure the number crunchers are hard at work planning things out.

~~~~~~
Well, they have to think about what it will do to the fish and run all those EPA tests first.

A Couple of years is not enough according to Democrat Neo-Marxists. They of course would have to also run an EPA study before the first pile could be driven.
Nope. Its an in-kind replacement. If the FSK bridge didn't hurt the environment the new one won't either.

The FSK bridge was a toll bridge, I assume the replacement will be as well. I don't know what they will gain by making it higher- the FSK had 185 feet of clearance, and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge is something like 182 feet. Any ship that goes to Baltimore has to first clear the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, so....
Please see the link on my post #85

Please see the link on my post #85
I read that (the draft EIS) when you posted it the first time, is there something you want to point out?

They are proposing widening the loop channel, I believe it's already 50 ft. deep now isn't it? I know I read that somewhere...

I read that (the draft EIS) when you posted it the first time, is there something you want to point out?

They are proposing widening the loop channel, I believe it's already 50 ft. deep now isn't it? I know I read that somewhere...
I think its 42' deep now going to be 50' deep. Its also going to be widened.
Point being that any pipelines would have been addressed.
I'm curious if any of the parameters, like the vertical clearance will change so the design can proceed.
There are probably several high end engineering firms looking at everything and preparing their design proposals.
Then there could be partnerships to design/build the bridge to save the "construction bid" cycle time, several months.

I think its 42' deep now going to be 50' deep. Its also going to be widened.
Point being that any pipelines would have been addressed.
The EIS says 42' federally maintained and 50' state maintained in the main channels.

50' is the spec for New Panamax vessels like the Dali.

This is an older Army Corp doc that says which parts were 42' and which were 50'.

Pipelines can be moved, I don't think that would be a deal breaker.
I'm curious if any of the parameters, like the vertical clearance will change so the design can proceed.
If there is room under the keel, they can ballast the ship lower in the water and gain some air draft that way too.

And there is a 190' height limit that is determined by the Bridge of the Americas at the Pacific entrance to the Panama Canal. There are larger ships out there, but they have to go around the capes...

Last edited:
And I have no doubt the cost will be 50X what they budgeted at the start.

To put a man on the moon required seven years, eight months, and 23 days.

Hoover Dam took six years, two months, and four days after the first shovelful of dirt was moved to become fully operational and producing electricity.

The Roman Coliseum in Rome took 5 years to construct 2,000 years ago.

The Empire State Building was completed after just one year and 45 days of construction.

Golden Gate Bridge took 4 years to build.

Welcome to the 21st century.

It took 13 years to rebuild One World Trade Center on the site of the Twin Towers Terrorist Attack.

Tunnel....

The terrain doesn’t suit a tunnel. Mostly silt and sand, which is poor material to tunnel in. The only option would be sunken boxes like the Boston Big Dig tunnel. That is incredibly expensive. That project cost literally a billion dollars and was a testament to the power of Tip O’Neil.

The terrain doesn’t suit a tunnel. Mostly silt and sand, which is poor material to tunnel in. The only option would be sunken boxes like the Boston Big Dig tunnel. That is incredibly expensive. That project cost literally a billion dollars and was a testament to the power of Tip O’Neil.
Yeah I drove that tunnel for 15 years....they use gigantic refrigeration units to keep the bottom mud layer frozen.

Did you support the Build Back Better bill or not fuckup.
Low-IQ guy:
My general rule is "everything Biden touches turns to shit", so no, I'm not a fan of Biden and his band of educated idiots.
A corollary from SECDEF Gates is that Biden has been "wrong on every foreign policy decision he's ever made".

BBB was a $3.5T wet dream. I'm very happy Manchin killed it.

I'm very upset that the Budgets have gone off the rails. They are way too high.
Should only be about $4.5T instead of $7.0T, Republicans should be ashamed they surrendered on that hill.

And I have no doubt the cost will be 50X what they budgeted at the start.

To put a man on the moon required seven years, eight months, and 23 days.

Hoover Dam took six years, two months, and four days after the first shovelful of dirt was moved to become fully operational and producing electricity.

The Roman Coliseum in Rome took 5 years to construct 2,000 years ago.

The Empire State Building was completed after just one year and 45 days of construction.

Golden Gate Bridge took 4 years to build.

Welcome to the 21st century.

I don't know why. It only took 5 years, 50 years ago.

Forum List

Back