Baltimore Bridge May Take 10 Years to Rebuild

Let me put it to you in technical terms

If a modern super tanker or container ship tries to pass under a bridge that is too low, it will take it down. Basic physics

The Port of Baltimore could handle ships from the 70s but not modern super ships
Silly post again. Even you know that isn't what happened. Why make a fool of yourself...again?

And I have no doubt the cost will be 50X what they budgeted at the start.

To put a man on the moon required seven years, eight months, and 23 days.

Hoover Dam took six years, two months, and four days after the first shovelful of dirt was moved to become fully operational and producing electricity.

The Roman Coliseum in Rome took 5 years to construct 2,000 years ago.

The Empire State Building was completed after just one year and 45 days of construction.

Golden Gate Bridge took 4 years to build.

Welcome to the 21st century.

I wish I believed you were wrong.

Since the magnanimous President Biden has offered to pick up the whole tab, hundreds more will line up to get their share, costing millions more!

If the people doing the work are overpaid is your eyes I say good. Cheap labor needs to be a thing of the past

Hoover Dam took six years, two months, and four days after the first shovelful of dirt was moved to become fully operational and producing electricity.

The Empire State Building was completed after just one year and 45 days of construction.

That’s assuming a Trump win and more incompetent management of the country. Under a Biden administration, it should be completed before the end of his second term. All the prep work is done. A new span and better protection for the supports are all that’s required and should take less time than the initial build, 5 years.

Keep in mind:

That guy is estimating the time from the time the first engineer's pencil hits the first piece of paper. Not just the construction time.

And for sure it will be less than ten years.

it was built for shipping volume and ship sizes for the 1970s.
Because of the low clearance on the Key Bridge, the Baltimore Harbor has been limited for decades.
The bridge needs to be built higher and the channels deeper to handle larger ships
Why? Neither of those things was a problem.

Other such bridges should have barriers retrofitted to prevent off-course ships from hitting any supports.

The same thing happened to the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Tampa years ago. It was replaced with barriers to protect supports.

sunshine-skyway-bridge-1024x768-XL.jpg

I have crossed both bridges many times.

The last bridge was done on the cheap and was inadequate for modern ships.
They need to do this one right and make port improvements to modernize

Quit spouting shit you know nothing about.

The bridge cost 220 million dollars and wound up 33 million dollars OVER budget. That was a hell of a lot of money 50 years ago.

Why doesn't Baltimore tunnel under the river, so this kind of thing doesn't happen again?

It would be a kick in the ass if they spend 25 years on this project, and the day after it opens, another cargo ship knocks it right back down.

Why doesn't Baltimore tunnel under the river, so this kind of thing doesn't happen again?

It would be a kick in the ass if they spend 25 years on this project, and the day after it opens, another cargo ship knocks it right back down.
You build back better. Hazardous waste cannot go through a tunnel.

The exact same thing happened years ago to the Sunshine Skybridgeio Bridge in Tampa. I have crossed both the old and new bridges dozens of times. They can be made far more resistant to errant ships.

Here is what replaced the old bridge, which was very similar to the one in Baltimore.

You build back better. Hazardous waste cannot go through a tunnel.

The exact same thing happened years ago to the Sunshine Skybridgeio Bridge in Tampa. I have crossed both the old and new bridges dozens of times. They can be made far more resistant to errant ships.

Here is what replaced the old bridge, which was very similar to the one in Baltimore.

Foundations are smart....

Forum List

Back