Balm on the Wound

LOIE

Gold Member
May 11, 2017
After the Charlottesville incident I wrote and distributed an apology letter to African Americans. One lady read it, thanked me, hugged me and told me it was very moving. The next day she said she had shared it with her co-workers.

Yesterday I saw the same lady again. She sat next to me and said, "Delores, we need more people like you who are willing to put a little balm on the wound."

I loved that, because some folks on this board have told me that a wound can't heal if you pick at it. I told them I didn't think they could totally heal on their own without medicine, bandages, etc.

This is a lady who goes to work every weekday like I do. She was not complaining, whining, or blaming. But she said that her community is still struggling and that certain wounds still exist, even though many of us can not see them. And even though some of us continue to deny their existence.

After the Charlottesville incident I wrote and distributed an apology letter to African Americans. One lady read it, thanked me, hugged me and told me it was very moving. The next day she said she had shared it with her co-workers.

Yesterday I saw the same lady again. She sat next to me and said, "Delores, we need more people like you who are willing to put a little balm on the wound."

I loved that, because some folks on this board have told me that a wound can't heal if you pick at it. I told them I didn't think they could totally heal on their own without medicine, bandages, etc.

This is a lady who goes to work every weekday like I do. She was not complaining, whining, or blaming. But she said that her community is still struggling and that certain wounds still exist, even though many of us can not see them. And even though some of us continue to deny their existence.

Good to hear. Don't let the haters deter you, keep doing what you are doing.

Last edited:

Good for you.

That's something we all can do. Just keep working on our own back yard. Just keep on holding a hand out and, like IsaacNewton said, don't let the haters keep you from it.

Thank you for sharing the story Delores. Are you planning to write another letter?

tenor.gif

After the Charlottesville incident I wrote and distributed an apology letter to African Americans.

What did you do to apologise for?
No specific deed, but as the letter said, I apologized for having been previously silent. Sins of omission, not commission.
So you are going out of your way to add fuel to the fire of resentment and perpetual victimhood.
Got it.
I do hope you only apologised for yourself.

I wrote a letter to the editor begging blacks to learn to speak, get jobs and stop committing crimes, and take care of their kids. Never heard a word about it.

Forum List

Back