arch Madness shouldbe happenning to Div 1college football

Bama/LSU repeat was a disgrace in the bcs

They may both have been good football teams - but I have seen beter

and both will no ddoubt be highly ranked in 2012

I find that 95% of people who have a plan for a college football playoff have a plan that is totally unrealistic. Nearly 100% of these people rarely or never go to a college football game.

I have to agree that LSU/Bama playing for the National Championship fails... but what would you do about it?

The BCS Championship game was a showcase of defensive football. If you wanted teams scoring 50 or 60 points, I am sure you were disappointed.

As far as "seen better", perhaps you have seen teams score more. But there are very few college football defenses that were even in the same league as what was shown in that game.

They both sucked

Yeah yeah yeah. Thats what you have said before.

But LSU hung 40 points on Oregon, who were ranked #4 in the final AP poll. (40-27)

LSU scored 41 points against Arkansas, who ended the year at #5 on the AP. (41-17)

LSU burned W.VA for 47 points, and the Mountaineers were ranked #17 after kicking Clemson's ass. (47-21)

LSU beat Georgia 42-10 after being down 10-0 at the half. Georgia ended the year ranked #19 in the AP poll.

And against Alabama they scored 0 points. They only got beyond the 50 yardline once. And that was in the 4th quarter, after which they were promptly slapped backwards.

Bama, meanwhile, played an almost perfect game. Only one touchdown, but scored 5 times on field goals, held the #1 team completely in check, had only one penalty for 5 yards late in the 4th quarter, and did not turn the ball over against a defense that prided itself on creating turnovers.

As I have said numerous times, it was not a high flying offensive football game. But it was a defesnive showcase. Both defenses looked stout during most of the game. (LSU's defense was simply worn-out by the end of the 3rd quarter).

LSU was #1 in the AP for 11 weeks in a row. You may not have liked the game, but to claim both teams sucked is simply BS. The two best teams in college football for the 2011 season were on that field.

I find that 95% of people who have a plan for a college football playoff have a plan that is totally unrealistic. Nearly 100% of these people rarely or never go to a college football game.

I have to agree that LSU/Bama playing for the National Championship fails... but what would you do about it?

NCAA is run by a bunch of short sighted idiots

They are in love with their bowl games which are nothing but exhibition games. They dont mean anything because they don't prove anything

Who cares if the number 3 team from one conference beats the number 2 team from another?

And why would you have a regular season, stop in November and then pick it up again in January?

The best college team of all time was the 1972 USC Trojans - Newsweek had an articleon them titled "Southern Cals Super Bowl." (the best team that has ever been coached???)

The best college team of all time was the 1972 USC Trojans - Newsweek had an articleon them titled "Southern Cals Super Bowl." (the best team that has ever been coached???)

I like that you state it as if it were fact. And just as an FYI, the youngest players from the '72 team would be 59 years old, so I doubt they would have made much of a showing in January.

According to this link Nebraska's '71 teams is the #1 team of all time. But your '72 USC team came in second. ESPN.com - Page2 - Best college football teams of all time

According to this link, Nebraska's '95 team is the beat of all time. The Miami '01 team was second and your team was ranked 3rd. PARADE Magazine | Parade.com

This link lists the '95 Nebraska squad as the best ever too, but your '72 USC team is #5.
Greatest College Football Teams of All Time (Single Season)

Wow, another link showing Nebraska's '95 team as the best.
All-time greatest college football teams: Ten all-time greatest college football teams - Sun Sentinel

But this is all nonsense. This is not the first time you have posted claims about some team from the 70s in response to current football champions. Even if the '72 USC squad was the best ever, this does not mean both teams sucked. You just hate the SEC.

But the upside is that you got to see an SEC team lose in the BCS championship game. That has never happened in the history of the BCS.

Last edited:

They are in love with their bowl games which are nothing but exhibition games. They dont mean anything because they don't prove anything

Who cares if the number 3 team from one conference beats the number 2 team from another?

And why would you have a regular season, stop in November and then pick it up again in January?

You say this because you're not a college football fan. You may love football and you may follow college football, but there's not a team that you go and watch on Saturday. If you did you would understand the rationale behind the bowl game schedules.

I've heard alot of cocakmamie schemes for a college football playoff over the years. Go ahead and tell us yours. Just keep in mind 3 things.

1. All post-season football games have to serve alcohol to be financially realistic.
2. People have to be given some notice to be able to make plans to travel 1000+ miles to attend a game.
3. Attendance is really important and it's the biggest problem most bowl games have.

Now tell me your plan, since you're so much smarter than the NCAA idiots.

You say this because you're not a college football fan. You may love football and you may follow college football, but there's not a team that you go and watch on Saturday. If you did you would understand the rationale behind the bowl game schedules.

I've heard alot of cocakmamie schemes for a college football playoff over the years. Go ahead and tell us yours. Just keep in mind 3 things.

1. All post-season football games have to serve alcohol to be financially realistic.
2. People have to be given some notice to be able to make plans to travel 1000+ miles to attend a game.
3. Attendance is really important and it's the biggest problem most bowl games have.

This is going to be hard....

Eight teams are selected for the Div 1 playoffs after conference championships are completed. That means there are seven games to play that actually mean something. The rest of the teams can play meaningless bowl games if they want to feel important

Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Cotton Bowl and two at large bowls are selected to host. First round (4 games) happens mid December two weeks after the regular season ends. Second round (2 games) are held New Years Day, Rose Bowl is one of these games. Championship is held mid January at a rotating site like the SuperBowl.

1 Beer is mandatory of course

2 Fans have two weeks notice to buy tickets and make travel arrangements. NFL fans do it. NCAA Basketball fans do it. If you can't make it, someone else will buy the ticket. Stub Hub is amazing at filling seats

3 Attendance and TV ratings will go through the roof because the games are not for bragging rights, they lead to a championship

I bet my way makes more money and draws more nationwide interest than a hodgepodge of meaningless bowls

Last edited:

Eight teams are selected for the Div 1 playoffs after conference championships are completed. That means there are seven games to play that actually mean something. The rest of the teams can play meaningless bowl games if they want to feel important

Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Cotton Bowl and two at large bowls are selected to host. First round (4 games) happens mid December two weeks after the regular season ends. Second round (2 games) are held New Years Day, Rose Bowl is one of these games. Championship is held mid January at a rotating site like the SuperBowl.

1 Beer is mandatory of course

2 Fans have two weeks notice to buy tickets and make travel arrangements. NFL fans do it. NCAA Basketball fans do it. If you can't make it, someone else will buy the ticket. Stub Hub is amazing at filling seats

3 Attendance and TV ratings will go through the roof because the games are not for bragging rights, they lead to a championship

I bet my way makes more money and draws more nationwide interest than a hodgepodge of meaningless bowls

I don't see short notice as being much of a detriment to the tournament. The SEC Championship is often not locked until the final game of the season, which is only a week away from the Championship.

College football has fans unlike any other game. We are fanatics. If you have our team in a bowl game, we will fill the stands (with or without beer).

'Bout as cockamamie as all the rest. There are alot of problems here - so I'll just start with one.

The Rose Bowl is a game between the PAC champ and the B1G champ. Despite the fact that that it's played on a PAC home field the B1G just seems to love the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. The only real reason we have a BCS is because my beloved Huskers gave the B1G fits back in '94 and '97.... they still didn't give up their stinkin' Rose Bowl. Maybe one of these years my Huskers will thump the Buffs in the Rose Bowl. That would be the one game I never would have expected in a million years.

So the Bowl Games aren't owned by the NCAA and the NCAA only has limited control over what it can tell them they can and cannot do. The Orange Bowl isn't going to be played on 12/15.

I'll ignore the numerous other problems with your system temporarily and focus a bit on how you feel that you would select your "Eight Teams". Here are the week 15 rankings from 2011. I presume the season is still fresh in your mind.

Who gets a shot and who doesn't? How are the eight selected? How are they seeded?

1 LSU 13-0
2 Alabama 11-1
3 Oklahoma State 11-1
4 Stanford 11-1
5 Oregon 11-2
6 Arkansas 10-2
7 Boise State 11-1
8 Kansas State 10-2
9 South Carolina 10-2
10 Wisconsin 11-2
11 Virginia Tech 11-2
12 Baylor 9-3
13 Michigan 10-2
14 Oklahoma 9-3
15 Clemson 10-3
16 Georgia 10-3
17 Michigan State 10-3
18 TCU 10-2
19 Houston 12-1
20 Nebraska 9-3
21 Southern Miss 11-2
22 Penn State 9-3
23 West Virginia 9-3
24 Texas 7-5
25 Auburn 7-5

I don't see short notice as being much of a detriment to the tournament. The SEC Championship is often not locked until the final game of the season, which is only a week away from the Championship.

They drive.

Like my Huskers turning Notre Dame Stadium into a sea of red - if they can drive they will go. Southerners are accustomed to driving to Atlanta for one reason or another from time to time.

Hold the SEC championship in Seattle and see what happens.
College football has fans unlike any other game. We are fanatics. If you have our team in a bowl game, we will fill the stands (with or without beer).

Nope. Bowl games are mostly sparsely attended. I don't think you're going to get too many college football fan bases who can represent a good crowd at 3 separate contests in faraway cities. I was in Yankee Stadium in December and Rutgers couldn't make a good showing in their own back yard.

They drive.

Like my Huskers turning Notre Dame Stadium into a sea of red - if they can drive they will go. Southerners are accustomed to driving to Atlanta for one reason or another from time to time.

Hold the SEC championship in Seattle and see what happens.

Nope. Bowl games are mostly sparsely attended. I don't think you're going to get too many college football fan bases who can represent a good crowd at 3 separate contests in faraway cities. I was in Yankee Stadium in December and Rutgers couldn't make a good showing in their own back yard.

We drive? Alabama took 30,000 fans to a game in hawaii. Hold it in Seattle and we'll fill the place to the rafters. In the BCS Championship in Pasadena CA there were over 94,000 fans in attendance. Tuscaloosa is a bit over 2,000 miles from Pasadena, and Austin Texas is almost 1,400 miles from the Rose Bowl. And the Rose Bowl lists its seating capacity as 90,000+.

'Bout as cockamamie as all the rest. There are alot of problems here - so I'll just start with one.

The Rose Bowl is a game between the PAC champ and the B1G champ. Despite the fact that that it's played on a PAC home field the B1G just seems to love the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. The only real reason we have a BCS is because my beloved Huskers gave the B1G fits back in '94 and '97.... they still didn't give up their stinkin' Rose Bowl. Maybe one of these years my Huskers will thump the Buffs in the Rose Bowl. That would be the one game I never would have expected in a million years.

So the Bowl Games aren't owned by the NCAA and the NCAA only has limited control over what it can tell them they can and cannot do. The Orange Bowl isn't going to be played on 12/15.

I'll ignore the numerous other problems with your system temporarily and focus a bit on how you feel that you would select your "Eight Teams". Here are the week 15 rankings from 2011. I presume the season is still fresh in your mind.

Who gets a shot and who doesn't? How are the eight selected? How are they seeded?

1 LSU 13-0
2 Alabama 11-1
3 Oklahoma State 11-1
4 Stanford 11-1
5 Oregon 11-2
6 Arkansas 10-2
7 Boise State 11-1
8 Kansas State 10-2
9 South Carolina 10-2
10 Wisconsin 11-2
11 Virginia Tech 11-2
12 Baylor 9-3
13 Michigan 10-2
14 Oklahoma 9-3
15 Clemson 10-3
16 Georgia 10-3
17 Michigan State 10-3
18 TCU 10-2
19 Houston 12-1
20 Nebraska 9-3
21 Southern Miss 11-2
22 Penn State 9-3
23 West Virginia 9-3
24 Texas 7-5
25 Auburn 7-5

Sorry, but I remain completely unconvinced

First off.....the Rose Bowl is a joke. nobody cares. If a Pac 10 or Big 10 team makes the BCS Championship game(think USC) they get the second place team. So what have they proved? The Bowls may own the game, but they don't own the teams that play in them. Rose Bowl doesnt want to play in the Championship format? Let them arrange to get teams outside the top 8 and see how their attendance is

Conferences are also a joke right now with teams jumping back and forth. It would not be hard to rearrange conferences to fit in an at championship format.

How to pick teams? Needs to be worked out. You could go straight BCS type ranking 1 through 8. Or you could give select super conferences (5 teams) automatic bids and select the other 3 at large. Seeding by committee

Still better than selecting an LSU - Alabama rematch

Now, give me a real reason an eight team playoff format won't work. Your reasoning has been pretty lame so far

We drive? Alabama took 30,000 fans to a game in hawaii. Hold it in Seattle and we'll fill the place to the rafters. In the BCS Championship in Pasadena CA there were over 94,000 fans in attendance. Tuscaloosa is a bit over 2,000 miles from Pasadena, and Austin Texas is almost 1,400 miles from the Rose Bowl. And the Rose Bowl lists its seating capacity as 90,000+.

I would not be so foolish as to imply that my Huskers were better than the Tide in 2011. The Saban-era Tide have been very, very good. Much better than my Huskers. Congrats on that - I really mean it.

I wouldn't say that the Tide faithful travel any better than Husker fans do. I don't know if you travel with the Tide but I do travel with the Huskers and I can tell you that the turn out for games requiring a flight is not nearly as good as games that can be reached by driving. That doesn't mean the Huskers won't travel far and wide to watch our team play. A couple years back we invaded Victoria, BC one Sunday because so many of us decided to just day trip there after the UW game. It's like a 3 hour ferry ride but we just all decided to do it, so you had a bunch of Husker Red walking around Canada. Pretty funny.

The Conference Championship that used to be in Kansas City - that was no problem. We'll have to wait and see how many Husker faithfull will make the trip to Indy.

First off.....the Rose Bowl is a joke. nobody cares. If a Pac 10 or Big 10 team makes the BCS Championship game(think USC) they get the second place team. So what have they proved? The Bowls may own the game, but they don't own the teams that play in them. Rose Bowl doesnt want to play in the Championship format? Let them arrange to get teams outside the top 8 and see how their attendance is

Conferences are also a joke right now with teams jumping back and forth. It would not be hard to rearrange conferences to fit in an at championship format.

How to pick teams? Needs to be worked out. You could go straight BCS type ranking 1 through 8. Or you could give select super conferences (5 teams) automatic bids and select the other 3 at large. Seeding by committee

Now, give me a real reason an eight team playoff format won't work. Your reasoning has been pretty lame so far

Son, I'm not the one who needs to be convincing you. It's the other way around. I don't contend that an 8 team playoff is impossible. Your 8 team playoff would never work because you didn't think it through completely or carefeully.

The Rose Bowl may be a joke to you, but the B1G loves it and therefore it will persevere. I know that you think that the SEC will continue to enjoy permanent domination of college football from now unti eternity, but something tells me that some team from one of those other minor confrences, the B1G, the Big 12, the PAC 12, the ACC - just maybe one of them will manage to field a halfway decent team one of these years.

I don't see why half the best teams in college football would be willing to risk ending their seasons in mid-December and I don't see why the best bowls would give up their coveted January slots. The financial implications of one team winning 3 bowl games are unsettling. It sounds like the richest gettting much richer.

So I ask again - you have the 2011 week 15 rankings right there. Who would play whom and where and when? How would your 8 team playoff work. We already established that you have relegated the Big East to "minor conference" status.

Son, I'm not the one who needs to be convincing you. It's the other way around. I don't contend that an 8 team playoff is impossible. Your 8 team playoff would never work because you didn't think it through completely or carefeully.

The Rose Bowl may be a joke to you, but the B1G loves it and therefore it will persevere. I know that you think that the SEC will continue to enjoy permanent domination of college football from now unti eternity, but something tells me that some team from one of those other minor confrences, the B1G, the Big 12, the PAC 12, the ACC - just maybe one of them will manage to field a halfway decent team one of these years.

I don't see why half the best teams in college football would be willing to risk ending their seasons in mid-December and I don't see why the best bowls would give up their coveted January slots. The financial implications of one team winning 3 bowl games are unsettling. It sounds like the richest gettting much richer.

So I ask again - you have the 2011 week 15 rankings right there. Who would play whom and where and when? How would your 8 team playoff work. We already established that you have relegated the Big East to "minor conference" status.

Right now, only two teams have a shot at a National Championship after Thanksgiving. Then they close up shop, wait for six weeks and play a game in the second week of January. Are you telling me that six other teams would not be willing to play in mid- December if it meant a shot at a national title and possibly more playoff games?
Are you telling me that fans would not come to those games?
Are you telling me that TV ratings and sponsorships would not be much higher than with existing bowls?

Let's look at 2011

Let's put the championship in the Fiesta Bowl

Semi finals in Rose Bowl (New Years Day) and Sugar Bowl

First Round (Mid December): Cotton Bowl, Orange Bowl, Atlanta and New Jersey

Seed the teams 1-8 and go at it

Forum List

Back