awfull teams

Are you telling me that TV ratings and sponsorships would not be much higher than with existing bowls?

Let's look at 2011

Let's.

The BCS selects 10 teams. Presumably in your 8 team field you would not have chosen the Big East Winner (WV) or the lowest ranked at-large (Michigan). Taking the remaining 8 and doing a conventional seeding where lowest plays highest we would get:

LSU 1 v. Clemson 15
Stanford 4 v. Oregon 5

Alabama 2 v. Virginia Tech 11
Oklahoma State 3 v. Wisconsin 10

Okie State/Wisconsin is the only good game of the 4.

Stanford/Oregon had just played the Pac championship.
First Round (Mid December): Cotton Bowl, Orange Bowl, Atlanta and New Jersey

New Jersey? Like the Meadowlands? That makes no sense. We don't do college football around here.

You complain that the LSU/Bama rematch was lame and college football should have a playoff, but a playoff probably would have resulted in the same thing.... A Bama/LSU rematch.

Are you telling me that TV ratings and sponsorships would not be much higher than with existing bowls?

Let's look at 2011

Let's.

The BCS selects 10 teams. Presumably in your 8 team field you would not have chosen the Big East Winner (WV) or the lowest ranked at-large (Michigan). Taking the remaining 8 and doing a conventional seeding where lowest plays highest we would get:

LSU 1 v. Clemson 15
Stanford 4 v. Oregon 5

Alabama 2 v. Virginia Tech 11
Oklahoma State 3 v. Wisconsin 10

Okie State/Wisconsin is the only good game of the 4.

Stanford/Oregon had just played the Pac championship.
First Round (Mid December): Cotton Bowl, Orange Bowl, Atlanta and New Jersey

New Jersey? Like the Meadowlands? That makes no sense. We don't do college football around here.

You complain that the LSU/Bama rematch was lame and college football should have a playoff, but a playoff probably would have resulted in the same thing.... A Bama/LSU rematch.

When you look at it that way, March Madness sucks

so do the NFL Playoffs

But they seem to do pretty well with the fans

When you look at it that way, March Madness sucks

so do the NFL Playoffs

But they seem to do pretty well with the fans

The NFL Playoffs are contested on the home field of the higher seeded team, so only a small percentage of attendees will travel to be there.

If the first round of a college football playoff was attended like the first weekend of March Madness then I would say an 8 team playoff would be a very big mistake. I don't think more than 25% of the seats are filled in most first weekend March Madness games.

Besides, looking at 2011, a 4 team playoff would obviously have sufficed. A "BCS+1" format that pits the #4 team vs #1 and #3 vs #2 and then the winners play each other would have been perfect for 2011.

Bama v. Okie State
Stanford v. LSU

(But the +1 bowl still would have been Bama/LSU.)

And still that wouldn't stop the possibility of teams playing each other back-to-back on neutral fields in championship games.

The best college team of all time was the 1972 USC Trojans - Newsweek had an articleon them titled "Southern Cals Super Bowl." (the best team that has ever been coached???)

I like that you state it as if it were fact. And just as an FYI, the youngest players from the '72 team would be 59 years old, so I doubt they would have made much of a showing in January.

According to this link Nebraska's '71 teams is the #1 team of all time. But your '72 USC team came in second. ESPN.com - Page2 - Best college football teams of all time

According to this link, Nebraska's '95 team is the beat of all time. The Miami '01 team was second and your team was ranked 3rd. PARADE Magazine | Parade.com

This link lists the '95 Nebraska squad as the best ever too, but your '72 USC team is #5.
Greatest College Football Teams of All Time (Single Season)

Wow, another link showing Nebraska's '95 team as the best.
All-time greatest college football teams: Ten all-time greatest college football teams - Sun Sentinel

But this is all nonsense. This is not the first time you have posted claims about some team from the 70s in response to current football champions. Even if the '72 USC squad was the best ever, this does not mean both teams sucked. You just hate the SEC.

But the upside is that you got to see an SEC team lose in the BCS championship game. That has never happened in the history of the BCS.

The youngest players on the
71 Nebrasksa team would be 60. And the 72 team lost to UCLA and Mark Harmon.(NCIS)

The 95 Cornhuskers couldn't pass. Were exposed by Arizona St in the first game in 1996 when they got SHUT-OUT.

Last edited:
In these lists - ND gets the 47 team (before I was born)

1988 team - had some sqeekers butfinished up strong - beating #2 USC 27-10 in the LA Colisuem - then winning easily against West Virgina in the Fiesta Bowl.

But how about the1966 team?? Won the concensus NC - gave up under 40 points the entire season.

After they beat Okla in Norman - one sooner said - "it was like playing against the Green Bay Packers."

Had guys like Alan Page etc

1988 team - had some sqeekers butfinished up strong - beating #2 USC 27-10 in the LA Colisuem - then winning easily against West Virgina in the Fiesta Bowl.

But how about the1966 team?? Won the concensus NC - gave up under 40 points the entire season.

After they beat Okla in Norman - one sooner said - "it was like playing against the Green Bay Packers."

And if we were talking about the history of college football you might have a point.

But this is about current college football teams and the recent BCS National Championship. The two best teams in the country (that played in 2011) were on the field in New Orleans. And the best team took home the championship. Thats how it works. Not only do you have to win, but you have to win at teh right time.

Also, ND should never have been the NC in '66. They played Michigan State, and were tied with 1:10 left in the game and Ara played for the tie. Both ND and Michigan St finished the year 9-0-1, while Bama finished 10-0.

Oh, and while ND held their opponents to a total of 38 points, Bama held theirs to 37 for the season.

The reason ND was given that trophy had less to do with football and more to do with politics and race relations.

Last edited:
ND beat USC 51- 0 after the Mich St tie.

swayed thevoters..........................................

Yeah, they beat a team ranked #10, while Bama beat the #6 team 34-7.

So Bama beat a higher ranked team and had a better record. It was during the era of civil rights battles and the Crimson Tide paid the price for that.

Well, that and too many people didn't want to see the Crimson Tide win 3 NCs in a row.

So Bama beat a higher ranked team and had a better record. It was during the era of civil rights battles and the Crimson Tide paid the price for that.

Well, that and too many people didn't want to see the Crimson Tide win 3 NCs in a row.

Bama was good - thinkd ND would have whupped them though

Bama was good - thinkd ND would have whupped them though

Nah, Bama's defense that year would have killed ND. And Ken Stabler was at his best that year.

I doubt that.

ND in 1966 was one of the best CF teams of all times.

They would have annihaledc bama.

The 95 Cornhuskers couldn't pass. Were exposed by Arizona St in the first game in 1996 when they got SHUT-OUT.

Ignorant and inaccurate.

1. The ASU game in '96 was the second game of the season.
2. The QB in '95 was Tommie Frazier. The QB in '96 was Scott Frost. I'll leave it to you to decide whether Tommie could pass or not, but Scott was an excellent drop back passer.
3. The '96 Nebraska Cornhuskers lost 2 games (one was their conference championship) and finished ranked #6. Not bad for a rebuilding year. They won the National Championship with Scott the next year in '97.

I doubt that.

ND in 1966 was one of the best CF teams of all times.

They would have annihaledc bama.

Best of all time? Couldn't win them all though. Alabama won all their games and allowed one fewer points to be scored.

ND played by far a tougher scheule in 1966 than Alabama.

The SEC of 1966 wasn't the SEC of today.

Mediocre at best/lilly-white.

ND would have a 30 lb advantage on them on the line of scrimmage.

When Rocky Bleir and Bubba Smith did a retrospective show on ESPN on The Game Of The Century - even Smith stated that Bamas arguements were sour grapes -and that both ND and Mich St would have handily beat Bama.

Last edited:
You could put ND 1977 in the discussion of bestteams.

Once Devinve put in Montana as the starting QB.....................................................................

The SEC of 1966 wasn't the SEC of today.

Mediocre at best/lilly-white.

I agree with this. Segregated football teams really can't compare to desgregated football teams. Football isn't baseball. It's very hard to put any segregated football team on a the best-of-all-time list.

The best college team of all time was the 1972 USC Trojans - Newsweek had an articleon them titled "Southern Cals Super Bowl." (the best team that has ever been coached???)

I like that you state it as if it were fact. And just as an FYI, the youngest players from the '72 team would be 59 years old, so I doubt they would have made much of a showing in January.

According to this link Nebraska's '71 teams is the #1 team of all time. But your '72 USC team came in second. ESPN.com - Page2 - Best college football teams of all time

According to this link, Nebraska's '95 team is the beat of all time. The Miami '01 team was second and your team was ranked 3rd. PARADE Magazine | Parade.com

This link lists the '95 Nebraska squad as the best ever too, but your '72 USC team is #5.
Greatest College Football Teams of All Time (Single Season)

Wow, another link showing Nebraska's '95 team as the best.
All-time greatest college football teams: Ten all-time greatest college football teams - Sun Sentinel

But this is all nonsense. This is not the first time you have posted claims about some team from the 70s in response to current football champions. Even if the '72 USC squad was the best ever, this does not mean both teams sucked. You just hate the SEC.

But the upside is that you got to see an SEC team lose in the BCS championship game. That has never happened in the history of the BCS.

I think that USC in 1972 would have defeated the Miami Dolphins.

As big, faster and more talented.

I am sure most of you have seen the story about the National Championship Trophy being shattered in Tuscaloosa over the weekend? A player's father tripped and knocked it over.

Which just goes to show, you can't trip in Tuscaloosa without hitting a NC trophy.

I also heard the University of Alabama is sending the shattered remains to LSU, to commemorate how their season ended.

Forum List

Back