Atty Gen. May Abandon Civilian 9/11 Trial

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
Attorney General Eric Holder is leaving open the possibility of trying professed Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed before a military commission instead of the civilian trial originally planned for New York City.

"At the end of the day, wherever this case is tried, in whatever forum, what we have to ensure is that it's done as transparently as possible and with adherence to all the rules," Holder told The Washington Post in an interview published in Friday's editions. "If we do that, I'm not sure the location or even the forum is as important as what the world sees in that proceeding."

Attorney General May Abandon Civilian 9/11 Trial - TIME

Attorney General Eric Holder is leaving open the possibility of trying professed Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed before a military commission instead of the civilian trial originally planned for New York City.

"At the end of the day, wherever this case is tried, in whatever forum, what we have to ensure is that it's done as transparently as possible and with adherence to all the rules," Holder told The Washington Post in an interview published in Friday's editions. "If we do that, I'm not sure the location or even the forum is as important as what the world sees in that proceeding."

Ya Think???

Never should have been moved from the MT to begin with.

What the world should see is that the US won't give that sack of shit a civilian trial.

What kind of fair trial would he have had?
The administration had said that he's guilty, and even if he's found innocent through a technicality he would have never seen the light of day.
This is what barry was trying to be transparent about, so the whole world could see this trial that would have ended up being a sham?

The Barry administration just blinked.

I'd say this is a trial balloon to see how much heat they get from the loony far left over the prospect of having KSM's trial in a military rather than civilian court. Odds are no matter what they hear from them though they'll still move it because the overwhelming public opinion is in favor of the military.

Next up, not closing Gitmo!

All of those Terrorist must be tried by a U.S. Army Military tribunal. They must not be given the same rights as American citizens.! The terrorist attack on 9/11 , was an act of War, not a criminal act by American citizens.
Attorney General Holder , and President Barack Obama, have it all wrong.Who are they trying to impress.?
And they all must be tired at Guantanamo Bay Cuba prison.!
Guantanamo Bay Prison must not be closed.!
It is a vital national asset.

Last edited:
I think this is just one instance wherein the Obama administration has screwed up, realized it and tried to save face by reversing decisions according to the polls.

mt and transparency don't really mix so he is already lying

I'm just curious - what "rights" would the Terrorists get that they shouldn't?

The right to examine secret information and how it was gathered. In the Moussaui trial this information made it to the other side of the world in a hot second as soon as the defense got to see it.

In case you didn't know it, American citizens don't have a right to secret information and how it was gathered. There was no classified information, especially information concerning sources and methods, divulged in the Moussaui trial. If you don't believe me, see for yourself.

U.S.D.C. Eastern District of Virginia

It amazes me how little faith some Americans have in our justice system and their fellow citizens who sit on juries.

I'm just curious - what "rights" would the Terrorists get that they shouldn't?

The right to examine secret information and how it was gathered. In the Moussaui trial this information made it to the other side of the world in a hot second as soon as the defense got to see it.

In case you didn't know it, American citizens don't have a right to secret information and how it was gathered. There was no classified information, especially information concerning sources and methods, divulged in the Moussaui trial. If you don't believe me, see for yourself.

Actually, nice try....but you are incorrect. Here is a copy of the pleading to amend just which member of the Mousaui defense team had access to classified information. Note that access had previously been granted.

Moussaui pleadings

However, I will note that you are technically correct, Moussaui himself didn't see the documents. I was speaking more generally, given the leanings of some of my fellow lawyers out there I know full well that they would tell what they find out in a hot second if they could. Most especially those members of the bar that would represent terrorists.

We all have our morals and must answer for what we do. I, for instance, would not represent rapists and sexual battery suspects. I know they deserve representation, but it doesn't have to be me.

Last edited:

Actually, nice try....but you are incorrect. Here is a copy of the pleading to amend just which member of the Mousaui defense team had access to classified information. Note that access had previously been granted.

Moussaui pleadings

There was one single classified document on the list of exhibits. Do you have any proof of any classified information "making it around the world" as you said before, or is that just conjecture?

Moussaui pleadings

However, I will note that you are technically correct, Moussaui himself didn't see the documents. I was speaking more generally, given the leanings of some of my fellow lawyers out there I know full well that they would tell what they find out in a hot second if they could. Most especially those members of the bar that would represent terrorists.

We all have our morals and must answer for what we do. I, for instance, would not represent rapists and sexual battery suspects. I know they deserve representation, but it doesn't have to be me.

Moussaui's lawyer was a public defender.

When we give up on due process in this nation the terrorists have won. Our system of law requires we treat all criminals the same, it demonstrates to the world that we are above the politics of fear and hatred and truly a civilized nation.

Last edited:

Moussaui pleadings

There was one single classified document on the list of exhibits. Do you have any proof of any classified information "making it around the world" as you said before, or is that just conjecture?

Published: September 27, 2002

WASHINGTON, Sept. 26— Federal prosecutors mistakenly turned over 48 classified F.B.I. reports to Zacarias Moussaoui in what a federal judge described as a grave security breach, the government acknowledged in court documents released today.

New York Times, September 27, 2002

So much for one document.

I've heard the other reported, I'm trying to dig it up for you.

Forum List

Back