Atty Gen. May Abandon Civilian 9/11 Trial

Attorney General Eric Holder is leaving open the possibility of trying professed Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed before a military commission instead of the civilian trial originally planned for New York City.

"At the end of the day, wherever this case is tried, in whatever forum, what we have to ensure is that it's done as transparently as possible and with adherence to all the rules," Holder told The Washington Post in an interview published in Friday's editions. "If we do that, I'm not sure the location or even the forum is as important as what the world sees in that proceeding."

Attorney General May Abandon Civilian 9/11 Trial - TIME

While I think the Attorney General was a dumbass in the first place for failing to grasp the obvious problems associated with treating these unlawful combatants as mere criminals, I have to add that I do not care WHAT it was that has caused him to at least give SOME THOUGHT to reconsideration of his ghastly idea.

In fact, I hate to say it, but anything that opened his stupid eyes at least DID open his eyes; and the man deserves some credit for at least STARTING to contemplate reversing his own decision. I hope he's smart enough, at long last, and principled enough to admit that his original notion was a mistake. Correcting a mistake is not a sign of weakness.

IF he follows through on this apparent signal that he's willing to reverse his own original "call," I say it will be time to give him some props.

Actually, nice try....but you are incorrect. Here is a copy of the pleading to amend just which member of the Mousaui defense team had access to classified information. Note that access had previously been granted.

Moussaui pleadings

There was one single classified document on the list of exhibits. Do you have any proof of any classified information "making it around the world" as you said before, or is that just conjecture?

Published: September 27, 2002

WASHINGTON, Sept. 26— Federal prosecutors mistakenly turned over 48 classified F.B.I. reports to Zacarias Moussaoui in what a federal judge described as a grave security breach, the government acknowledged in court documents released today.

New York Times, September 27, 2002

So much for one document.

I've heard the other reported, I'm trying to dig it up for you.

As your post says, it was a mistake. The fact that the prosecutors made a mistake doesn't give him the "right" to the classified information. Still waiting on that evidence of classified documents getting "around the world".

KSM should be tried by Military Tribunal. When the finish with him they should try Eric Holder for incompetence. He'd be found guilty. The entire administration is a joke.

When we give up on due process in this nation the terrorists have won. Our system of law requires we treat all criminals the same, it demonstrates to the world that we are above the politics of fear and hatred and truly a civilized nation.
Congress passed a law authorizing Military Tribunals for illegal combatants. That is how our Republic works. The terrorists lose when we interrogate them, try them in Military court, and execute them.

Forum List

Back