Atheism takes courage

Czernobog

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2014
Corner of Chaos and Reason
Just a bit of insight on what it means to be an atheist. It's actually easier to allow one's self to believe in God than it is to be an atheist. Being an atheist means there is no Devil to blame, no afterlife to reunite with loved ones, no personal cosmic bodyguard, only one life to live, personal responsibility for one's thoughts, actions, and prosperity, or lack thereof, lack of acceptance from a religion infused society, and no easy explanation for our existence.

Atheism is not for the weak.

Not one man in a thousand has either strength of mind or goodness of heart to be an Atheist. I repeat, not one man in a thousand has either strength of mind or goodness of heart to be an Atheist.

-- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

I wish I could simply "turn off" my rational mind. Imagine how much easier life is for those who can, so easily, simply ignore all of the rational, logical flaws inherent in their faith. Life would be so much easier if I could just ignore that I know what I know, and pretend that there is a "happily ever after" that no one has ever confirmed.

It takes common sense...Where is the evidence for god? There isn't.

It makes it even easier when believers abuse their beliefs and elect monsters into public office that hurt people. I see this and it turn me off from even considering relgiion.

I wish I could simply "turn off" my rational mind. Imagine how much easier life is for those who can, so easily, simply ignore all of the rational, logical flaws inherent in their faith. Life would be so much easier if I could just ignore that I know what I know, and pretend that there is a "happily ever after" that no one has ever confirmed.

It is more wishful thinking than rational thought

Just a bit of insight on what it means to be an atheist. It's actually easier to allow one's self to believe in God than it is to be an atheist. Being an atheist means there is no Devil to blame, no afterlife to reunite with loved ones, no personal cosmic bodyguard, only one life to live, personal responsibility for one's thoughts, actions, and prosperity, or lack thereof, lack of acceptance from a religion infused society, and no easy explanation for our existence.

that used to be the case...now it's chic, toni even...but yes, it does take some courage cuz "when ya die you'll be all dressed up with nowhere to go"

It takes common sense...Where is the evidence for god? There isn't.

It makes it even easier when believers abuse their beliefs and elect monsters into public office that hurt people. I see this and it turn me off from even considering relgiion.
First, as Mr. Twain once observed, "Common Sense" isn't really all that common. Second, human beings are, by nature, social creatures. Humans crave acceptance, and solidarity. I think for an atheist to opine about how "easy" it is to stand by his insistence on rational evidence to drive his world-view is kinda arrogant, and ignores the natural drives, and desires of humans. I'm not suggesting that atheism isn't the rational choice; it clearly is. However, to brag about how easy it is? I mean, after years of being an atheist, it certainly becomes easier. However, to take that first step out from the comfortable masses requires great strength, courage, and self-confidence.

Last edited:

It is more wishful thinking than rational thought
That's kinda my point. It requires wilfully ignoring reason, and living one's life hoping that the irrational is, in fact, reality. It would, literally, require me to pretend that I don't know what I know.

that used to be the case...now it's chic, toni even...but yes, it does take some courage cuz "when ya die you'll be all dressed up with nowhere to go"
I don't know where you live, but, here in the US, especially The South, it is most definitely not chic, toni (whatever that means), or the "cool thing to do".

Not necessarily. It simply means you don't believe in any deity ruling over the universe. I'm an atheist, but I still believe in the possibility of something more after this life.

I don't know where you live, but, here in the US, especially The South, it is most definitely not chic, toni (whatever that means), or the "cool thing to do".
NYC

NYC
Then I have to ask, where are you seeing this "all the cool kids are doing it" attitude towards atheism. Because, aside from, possibly on the West Coast, I have not, in 50 years, seen this in the US.

Not necessarily. It simply means you don't believe in any deity ruling over the universe. I'm an atheist, but I still believe in the possibility of something more after this life.
So, you don't believe in deity, but you buy into heaven. Care to square that circle for me?

I like being my own maker.

I like being my own maker.
You have to admit, though, there are times when it would be really nice to just give up the responsibility to some cosmic bodyguard, and wait for them to "kiss the booboo, and make it all better"...

NYC
Then I have to ask, where are you seeing this "all the cool kids are doing it" attitude towards atheism. Because, aside from, possibly on the West Coast, I have not, in 50 years, seen this in the US.
why are you attributing words to me? please keep it to what I actually said and not what you would like it to mean...I've seen it on TV including shows like mythbusters et al....I think you must really not understand the meaning of cool, chic and toni because they usually describe things that step out from the masses...once everyone is doing it is called routine

Forum List

Back