Atheism Is Not A Religion!!!

Yes. I have told you before I read your web site. I've also told you I'm not a Christian. There is no evidence presented in that site to show there is no God. Only arguments against the proposition that there is, and specifically a Christian God. Since there is no evidence that there is a God, that is not particularly difficult. You need to find a new set of bible tracts to hand out.

Maybe because god is a Baseless assertion and Unfalsifiable?

Falsifiability
or refutability of a statement, hypothesis, or theory is an inherent possibility to prove it to be false. A statement is called falsifiable if it is possible to conceive an observation or an argument which proves the statement in question to be false.

A justification for calling belief knowledge. A worthless justification. If you cannot support a claim, then you don't pretend you don't have to support it - you don't make it.

The reason it can't be falsified is because there is no evidence. None. Nada. Zip. In the absence of evidence, any conclusion is a belief. You are a believer.

You are just stupid and stubborn. Whatever you want to think.

An ad hominem is not a replacement for evidence or reason. Your conclusions are entirely unsupported by anything except belief. Whatever you want to think.

noun: evidence
.the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

We've given you plenty of evidence that god doesn't exist. First we shown you tons of evidence the Mo, Jo & Jesus god(s) don't exist and we even exposed generic god as being a fraud.

Put it this way. If you believe in generic god, and you don't believe that god ever visited earth and talked to Mo, Joe & Jesus, then you are saying that ancient/primitive/superstitious/uneducated/unevolved man 400,000 years ago were right when they invented him.

Chances are though they made him up and he does not actually exist but feel free to remain in the stone age.

You have provided no evidence at all. Not a shred. I know you keep saying you have, but that simply is not true. What you have provided is one unsupported claim after another. You have provided web sites which are dedicated to disagreeing with Christianity and they provide not one shred of evidence. You have not even defined what it is you say does not exist, other than an insistence that Christianity (though completely wrong) is the only possible option. You have not shown what evidence would be required to show God does exist so you can show it doesn't by the absence of that evidence.

Yours is a position based entirely upon belief. No different than someone who concludes there is a God.

Smith defines implicit atheism as "the absence of theistic belief without a conscious rejection of it". "Absence of theistic belief" encompasses all forms of non-belief in deities. This would categorize as implicit atheists those adults who have never heard of the concept of deities, and those adults who have not given the idea any real consideration. Also included are agnostics who assert they do not believe in any deities (even if they claim not to be atheists)

vs me:

Smith observes that some motivations for explicit atheism are rational and some not. Of the rational motivations, he says:

The most significant variety of atheism is explicit atheism of a philosophical nature. This atheism contends that the belief in god is irrational and should therefore be rejected. Since this version of explicit atheism rests on a criticism of theistic beliefs, it is best described as critical atheism.

If by irrational it is meant the belief is based upon no evidence of any kind, I would agree. However, if a belief based upon no evidence of any kind is irrational, then that term must be applied to all such beliefs - which would includes Atheism.

This really has nothing to do with philosophy, it is a realistic examination of facts. If you want to look at a specific deity, or a specific attribute of a deity, sound arguments can be made about it. I think we can establish through hard evidence the sun is not Apollo riding his chariot across the sky. I think we can establish lightning is not Zeus throwing stuff around in a snit. But in terms of generality, the amount of information available to support either side is equal - zero. Whether one says there is or there is not, either position is equally irrational.

Consider a foot race and you are going to bet on the outcome. There are two racers, called racer a and racer b. Who the actual racers will be will be determined by drawing their name, at random, from a container with the name of every living human being on the planet. Who do you think will win, a or b? There is no way to judge that, so it is a 50/50 proposition. And in this situation, you at least have some information - which is more than you have regarding the existence of God. Yet you think you can come to a rational conclusion about the existence of God? The notion is absurd.

Lots of evidence. Why there is no god

ev·i·dence

1.the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid

Yes. I have told you before I read your web site. I've also told you I'm not a Christian. There is no evidence presented in that site to show there is no God. Only arguments against the proposition that there is, and specifically a Christian God. Since there is no evidence that there is a God, that is not particularly difficult. You need to find a new set of bible tracts to hand out.

So if the bible god is completely made up, what makes you think any god(s) are real? Why can't you see that before Christianity was made up, god himself was made up?

I just feel that there is. Nothing more than that, just a feeling. Since there is no evidence to support either side, I'll go with what feels right. I don't claim this is knowledge, just belief. I also think all attempts on the part of humans to define God are our own inventions, including yours.

I would ask you how you know god was made up but we both know you have nothing to back that up. You just believe it. I have no objection to your believing it. I do object to someone who has nothing but belief claiming it is more than just belief. If you want to claim your position is based upon evidence and reason, then you must produce both. If you say you just believe it, then the discussion is over. You need provide no support for a belief.

I don't "just believe it". I have looked at all the evidence and it makes sense.

It is you who rejects logic and goes with "your feeling", not me. Just like you, I would love for their to be a god. I'm just able to look beyond what I want and look at it rationally.

And I too for a long time, even though I doubted organized religions, chose to believe in god. I hadn't given it enough thought yet at the time to decide there is no god. And when I "wasn't sure" of course like you I chose to believe in a generic god. Then I realized if all organized religions are made up, so too is god probably. Now Boss has given me a lot of reasons why he believes in a god but not organized religions but I believe his reasons are bad too. He thinks just because humans have always believed in god(s) that this is proof god exists. I disagree. I think our primitive ancestors originally made up the concept and later the concept was organized into religion(s).

“I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there’s little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.” – Carl Sagan

Maybe because god is a Baseless assertion and Unfalsifiable?

Falsifiability
or refutability of a statement, hypothesis, or theory is an inherent possibility to prove it to be false. A statement is called falsifiable if it is possible to conceive an observation or an argument which proves the statement in question to be false.

A justification for calling belief knowledge. A worthless justification. If you cannot support a claim, then you don't pretend you don't have to support it - you don't make it.

The reason it can't be falsified is because there is no evidence. None. Nada. Zip. In the absence of evidence, any conclusion is a belief. You are a believer.

An ad hominem is not a replacement for evidence or reason. Your conclusions are entirely unsupported by anything except belief. Whatever you want to think.

.the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

We've given you plenty of evidence that god doesn't exist. First we shown you tons of evidence the Mo, Jo & Jesus god(s) don't exist and we even exposed generic god as being a fraud.

Put it this way. If you believe in generic god, and you don't believe that god ever visited earth and talked to Mo, Joe & Jesus, then you are saying that ancient/primitive/superstitious/uneducated/unevolved man 400,000 years ago were right when they invented him.

Chances are though they made him up and he does not actually exist but feel free to remain in the stone age.

You have provided no evidence at all. Not a shred. I know you keep saying you have, but that simply is not true. What you have provided is one unsupported claim after another. You have provided web sites which are dedicated to disagreeing with Christianity and they provide not one shred of evidence. You have not even defined what it is you say does not exist, other than an insistence that Christianity (though completely wrong) is the only possible option. You have not shown what evidence would be required to show God does exist so you can show it doesn't by the absence of that evidence.

Yours is a position based entirely upon belief. No different than someone who concludes there is a God.

That site debunks every religion not just Christianity.

In reply to your insisting that I have not provided.....piss off.

No, it doesn't. Not even a little bit. And you haven't, not even a little bit. Sorry if I'm not willing to be converted.

If by irrational it is meant the belief is based upon no evidence of any kind, I would agree. However, if a belief based upon no evidence of any kind is irrational, then that term must be applied to all such beliefs - which would includes Atheism.

This really has nothing to do with philosophy, it is a realistic examination of facts. If you want to look at a specific deity, or a specific attribute of a deity, sound arguments can be made about it. I think we can establish through hard evidence the sun is not Apollo riding his chariot across the sky. I think we can establish lightning is not Zeus throwing stuff around in a snit. But in terms of generality, the amount of information available to support either side is equal - zero. Whether one says there is or there is not, either position is equally irrational.

Consider a foot race and you are going to bet on the outcome. There are two racers, called racer a and racer b. Who the actual racers will be will be determined by drawing their name, at random, from a container with the name of every living human being on the planet. Who do you think will win, a or b? There is no way to judge that, so it is a 50/50 proposition. And in this situation, you at least have some information - which is more than you have regarding the existence of God. Yet you think you can come to a rational conclusion about the existence of God? The notion is absurd.

ev·i·dence

1.the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid

So if the bible god is completely made up, what makes you think any god(s) are real? Why can't you see that before Christianity was made up, god himself was made up?

I just feel that there is. Nothing more than that, just a feeling. Since there is no evidence to support either side, I'll go with what feels right. I don't claim this is knowledge, just belief. I also think all attempts on the part of humans to define God are our own inventions, including yours.

I would ask you how you know god was made up but we both know you have nothing to back that up. You just believe it. I have no objection to your believing it. I do object to someone who has nothing but belief claiming it is more than just belief. If you want to claim your position is based upon evidence and reason, then you must produce both. If you say you just believe it, then the discussion is over. You need provide no support for a belief.

I don't "just believe it". I have looked at all the evidence and it makes sense.

It is you who rejects logic and goes with "your feeling", not me. Just like you, I would love for their to be a god. I'm just able to look beyond what I want and look at it rationally.

And I too for a long time, even though I doubted organized religions, chose to believe in god. I hadn't given it enough thought yet at the time to decide there is no god. And when I "wasn't sure" of course like you I chose to believe in a generic god. Then I realized if all organized religions are made up, so too is god probably. Now Boss has given me a lot of reasons why he believes in a god but not organized religions but I believe his reasons are bad too. He thinks just because humans have always believed in god(s) that this is proof god exists. I disagree. I think our primitive ancestors originally made up the concept and later the concept was organized into religion(s).

“I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there’s little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.” – Carl Sagan

I will make this very easy. You talk about "all the evidence". Give me just one piece of hard, objective and relevant evidence. Just one. That's all I'm asking for. Not a web site, not an argument, not a quote, not a bumper sticker quip.... evidence. It has to be relevant... you can't just point to a rock and say "there it is". You have to be able to show it is evidence there is no God.

You can either produce it or you can't. I'll wait.

why there is no reason to waste your time going to that silly web site......there are no proofs there.....there is no evidence there......there isn't even logic there......nothing but boldfaced statements similar to the drivel you post here every day......nothing at all to back them up......

I mean look at it.....
"There is no evidence to support any of the claims made in the Bible concerning the existence of a god."......this is your proof there is no God?.......I can say exactly the same thing about the claim there is no God.......oh, gosh, which one of us wins?.....

As long as you realize "There is no evidence to support any of the claims made in the Bible concerning the existence of a god."
so do I have to care that you reject what I accept?.......

No, that you are a believer has been established. Your willingness to concede there is a 1% chance your belief is wrong does not make it any less a belief. What we are arguing over is this unquestioned adherence to a definition and the insistence that the definition creates reality. This is the essence of dogma and dogma is one of the attributes of religion.

The definition given is that Atheists lack beliefs in gods. You clearly don't lack beliefs but you go back and forth on admitting this because it conflicts with the definition. Dogma.

It is said Atheists don't evangelize. You have admitted you do exactly that, but you deny it is evangelizing (though you agree you are doing exactly what evangelists do) because you are an Atheist and Atheists don't evangelize. Dogma.

Atheism as the belief there is no God (and you can only arrive at that conclusion via belief) is not religion. It's just a belief and as valid as any other belief. It is this dogmatic approach that an Atheist's beliefs aren't beliefs because Atheists lack beliefs that takes what is just a belief and transforms it into religion. Now you are setting up standards that "this is what an Atheist is" and "they are doing Atheism wrong", and that is nothing but dogma.

The existence and non-existence of a god are not equally probable outcomes.
obviously nothing more than a throwaway, unproveable comment.....there is no valid way to quantify either.....

Really? What odds do you give god? 50 50 odds?
????.....100/100......the chance that the universe we have is the result of random shit happening randomly?......0

The First Cause Argument, or Cosmological Argument, is internally contradictory and raises the following questions: Who or what created god?, Why should a hypothetical ‘cause’ have any of the common attributes of a god?, Why is the ‘cause’ a specific god?, Why can’t the universe be causeless too? and, most importantly, Why rule out all other possible explanations?
/shrugs....foolish questions remain foolish questions......nobody had to create God......only a god could be a 'cause'.......if you wish to choose another god as the 'cause' feel free...the world is your oyster......the universe can't be causeless because it had a beginning......what other explanations do you suggest?.....shit happening randomly?......

ev·i·dence

this is why I have to consider atheists to be irrational.......half a dozen posts ago you agreed there was no evidence either way......

it doesn't debunk anything.....it just gives you a list of atheist memes to copy and paste......

ev·i·dence

I will make this very easy. You talk about "all the evidence". Give me just one piece of hard, objective and relevant evidence. Just one. That's all I'm asking for. Not a web site, not an argument, not a quote, not a bumper sticker quip.... evidence. It has to be relevant... you can't just point to a rock and say "there it is". You have to be able to show it is evidence there is no God.

I already have and you just keep going in circles. It's like trying to play with a dog

No, it doesn't. Not even a little bit. And you haven't, not even a little bit. Sorry if I'm not willing to be converted.

You sound just like my uneducated dad, god love him. LOL.

I try to explain to him all the reasons there "probably" is no god and he just won't listen. He's not listening or hearing me. Close minded.

I say, "but dad science says" and he says, "then science is stupid if they think that".

What are his reasons? Because he can't believe or imagine all this happened by itself. That's it. That's all you and he have. That's exactly what our primitive uneducated ancestors thought too. It is why it is so easy to con people into believing and why the majority of the people on this planet believe in that shit. Its irrational but we all understand why people believe.

I'll go with science and logic. You go with what your heart/feelings/emotions tell you.

ev·i·dence

this is why I have to consider atheists to be irrational.......half a dozen posts ago you agreed there was no evidence either way......

Not to the unfalseafiable but there is tone of "evidence" that this imaginary man in your head is not real. There is lot of different types of "evidence". I can deduce by the things you say your god is just made up in your head. I can deduce with science why, what part of the brain came up with religion/gods. I can look at how 999 other religions before yours were all made up and that is sort of real good evidence to me that yours is no different. I can deduce miracles don't exist or have never been "proven" but then I'm sure your dumb ass will argue that too.

quite frankly, I don't think you could deduce your way out of a paper bag.....

there is tone of "evidence" that this imaginary man in your head is not real
I would be interested in seeing just one item of evidence you have that God is not real.....

I already have and you just keep going in circles. It's like trying to play with a dog

You sound just like my uneducated dad, god love him. LOL.

I try to explain to him all the reasons there "probably" is no god and he just won't listen. He's not listening or hearing me. Close minded.

I say, "but dad science says" and he says, "then science is stupid if they think that".

What are his reasons? Because he can't believe or imagine all this happened by itself. That's it. That's all you and he have. That's exactly what our primitive uneducated ancestors thought too. It is why it is so easy to con people into believing and why the majority of the people on this planet believe in that shit. Its irrational but we all understand why people believe.

I'll go with science and logic. You go with what your heart/feelings/emotions tell you.

So you can't produce one piece of evidence and you can't admit that you can't. But you think you are more educated than your Dad. LOL indeed.

I would be interested in seeing just one item of evidence you have that God is not real.....

Your three gods are not the true gods. Kronos is the true God. I would be interested in seeing just one item of evidence you have that Kronos is not the real, true God.

I already explained why it was wrong and no one here refuted it. See post #2179

That wasn't a joke?

You feel you are being spoon fed definitions so what do you do? You add another definition.
Every activity a person does can be interesting to them, including stamp collecting, watching TV, eating, screwing, coluring in stencils...etc Are you suggesting these all be classified as religions. If you or anyone else says yes then I cannot help your lack of reasoning.

RFOLMAO.

OK, that is out of my system, for now.

This is the definition you insist is wrong.

A pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.​

Funny how you ignore the words supreme importance in your response, isn't it?

In other words, the only thing you refuted is your claim that you refuted anything.

So, one again, why are atheist that say their religion is atheism wrong? Have you even considered the possibility that you might be the one that is wrong?

As for writing a letter to Webster, they only accept business or advertising letters or someone wishing to add a new word.

And you know this because...

Calling atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color
do most bald people deny the existence of hair?.....

Calling atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color, or not collecting stamps a hobby.

Bumper stickers.
Yet true.

Your three gods are not the true gods. Kronos is the true God. I would be interested in seeing just one item of evidence you have that Kronos is not the real, true God.
?????.....apparently the ton of evidence has lost weight......

That wasn't a joke?

RFOLMAO.

In other words, the only thing you refuted is your claim that you refuted anything.

So, one again, why are atheist that say their religion is atheism wrong? Have you even considered the possibility that you might be the one that is wrong?

Calling atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color, or not collecting stamps a hobby.

Bumper stickers.
Yet true.
truly silly......bald people don't deny the existence of hair......people who don't collect stamps don't deny the existence of stamps......

That wasn't a joke?

RFOLMAO.

Bumper stickers.
Yet true.

So you claim.

?????.....apparently the ton of evidence has lost weight......
There has never been any evidence to support any of your gods.

You can't lose what you never had.

Forum List

Back