Ashers gay cake court case couple say they have done nothing wrong

Your opinion is your opinion only, marty. It has no validity for anyone else. The law is what it is in our society. You don't like it. So work to change it. But don't be offended if people oppose you.

Saying that your view is wrong, and the law is wrong (or being applied wrong) is not 'being offended".
My opinion is the right one, nothing more or less. That doesn't invalidate other opinions (which is the left's current play de jour) it makes them wrong.

The thing is I'm sure these so called deeply religious people have no qualms about baking birthday cakes for kids who aren't baptized or who are born out of holy matrimony. I'm sure they have baked cakes for adulterers and people who blaspheme so they are hypocrites of the nth order in my book.

But I don't think just because you own a business you can't reserve the right to refuse service and I still cannot understand why anyone would want to do business with people who dislike them for what I think are bigoted and stupid reasons much less take them to court to make them serve you.

Do these people really expect high quality service ?

Besides by the time the lawyers get done they would have had to go to another baker to get the cake done in time for the wedding anyway

I think the difference is that a gay wedding is celebrating the union of two people in a homosexual relationship. Its a public declaration of support for said union. I don't see people having adultery parties and asking for an adultery cake, which would make your comparison more compelling.

The thing is I'm sure these so called deeply religious people have no qualms about baking birthday cakes for kids who aren't baptized or who are born out of holy matrimony. I'm sure they have baked cakes for adulterers and people who blaspheme so they are hypocrites of the nth order in my book.

But I don't think just because you own a business you can't reserve the right to refuse service and I still cannot understand why anyone would want to do business with people who dislike them for what I think are bigoted and stupid reasons much less take them to court to make them serve you.

Besides by the time the lawyers get done they would have had to go to another baker to get the cake done in time for the wedding anyway

I think the difference is that a gay wedding is celebrating the union of two people in a homosexual relationship. Its a public declaration of support for said union. I don't see people having adultery parties and asking for an adultery cake, which would make your comparison more compelling.

The public declaration comes at the wedding ceremony the cake is for the guests at the party afterwards

The thing is no matter how you slice it baking a cake isn't a sin

I wonder what would happen if a gay couple went in to this bakery and didn't ask for a wedding cake

What if they asked for a three tiered white cake with cascading flowers and a statue on top?

The public declaration comes at the wedding ceremony the cake is for the guests at the party afterwards

To me and you, yes, it isn't a sin. However, we don't get to decide what a person thinks is sinful, and unless there is an overwhelming governmental interest in it, government doesn't get to either.

I wonder what would happen if a gay couple went in to this bakery and didn't ask for a wedding cake

What if they asked for a three tiered white cake with cascading flowers and a statue on top?

Good question. If they picked it up themselves? I wonder.

To me and you, yes, it isn't a sin. However, we don't get to decide what a person thinks is sinful, and unless there is an overwhelming governmental interest in it, government doesn't get to either.

I know as i said I respect their right to refuse service but I also have the right to say it's pretty silly

The thing is the cake is usually brought to the reception venue hours before the event the baker is never at the ceremony or the reception

The thing is the cake is usually brought to the reception venue hours before the event the baker is never at the ceremony or the reception

It's still part of the overall celebration. My cake wasn't at the ceremony, but it was a part of the overall party and ritual. Pulling hairs, I know, but it's not my place to judge either the lesbian couple (up to the point they decided to go to the EEO people) OR the baker. (I know you agree with that).

More "check your privilege" bullshit. It's a weak way to deny another person's opinion as valid, used by weak people. Not surprised at all that you have gone running for it.

But considering balkanization and further victim racing is all your side has left as a debating tactic, I am even more not surprised.

Guy, you don't have a valid opinion. You are another white guy whining how he can't get his way on stuff anymore.

or the gay couple can find another baker, which in this case is the easier choice, but you hate the people on the other side, so it's no surprise you want them to suffer.

Running to the law, typical fascist idiot.

But that was the point. AFTER They had been verbally abused by a religious asshole, the law was on their side.

NOw, here was the thing. The Klein's could festoon their store in Fred Phelps "God Hates Fags" signs, and LEGALLY, they wouldn't have an issue. They'd probably be shunned by the community. But legally, they'd be within their rights.

They didn't do that. Instead what they did was invite the Cryer-Bowman couple to their store and then refused them service, which IS against the law.

Whenever anyone on your side talks about "Freedom", I usually grab for my wallet and wwatch [sic] my back, because you are usually going to try to snag something fro me I worked hard to get to start with.

jN1mrbv.gif

No, they could follow the law and bake the cake. Or they could chose a ine [sic] of work that is different.
·
·
·​
We want to punish people for breaking the law

The Constitution is the highest law;and the First Amendment is part of it.

In calling for this law to be violated, in calling for people to be denied their explicit First Amendment rights to religion and expression, and their implied rights to association and conscience; you forfeit any credibility in speaking of “obeying the law”.

Why do you not call for corrupt judges and legislators, who, as a condition and requirement of their jobs, have sworn an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution, to be punished for violating it?

Participating in and/or supporting a celebration of overt evil and immorality most certainly is a sin.

It was never meant to punish small contract style businesses, you idiots have defined a PA as "any business" which was never the intent.

It's fascist morons like you that take crap like this and use it to enforce your groupthink.

I agree that "unintended consequences" can be a problem. For instance, The Americans With Disabilities Act has actually made it harder to hire the disabled. Oh, wait, we can't call them 'the disabled' anymore.

The thing is, where do you draw the line as to what is a "small contract". A wedding cake can cost upwards of $500. That's not a small contract.

In the case of the Klein's, the wife invited the gay couple in, only to have the Husband maniacally scream bible verses at them. Those assholes deserved to get slapped down.

If they had said, "oops, I'm sorry, we are totally booked up that weekend" they wouldn't have gotten into trouble.

But when you worship a sky pixie who hates lying and loves homophobia, your brain tends to make bad decisions like that. Again, the need for some "Re-education".

$500 is a very small contract, and a wedding cake is not a necessary or point of sale service, which is what PA laws were supposed to deal with.

I just don't get the whole idea that people would rather be lied to, or served by someone who hides behind a tight fake smile while secretly despising what they have to do. I guess an authoritarian such as yourself gets off on making people do things they don't want to do.

And as usual, your anti-religious bigotry and fascism shines through. You are truly a waste of organic matter.

Well liberals don't want honesty or discussion. Therefor you need to lie to them jack up and take their money. The liberals will so much happier when you do.

In our business we have dealings with the union workers, lots of demands, lots of unnecessary work because they don't have it together. We don't care for them so we charge more on our bids and let them decide. Our competitors do the same. So, just tell them you are busy or charge them more. Construction contractors will do that all the time. But don't be honest, liberals frown on such nonsense.

the same reason that blacks just don't go to another lunch counter.

if you run a business, you have to accommodate the public.

Where, in the Constitution, does it allow for government to compel one to waive one's First Amendment rights as a condition of being allowed to make an honest living?

(Hint: It doesn't.)

the court has already ruled on this. it isn't a first amendment issue. no religion requires you to be a bigot.

so hint: you're wrong. the court was correct. *shrug*

Where, in the Constitution, does it allow for government to compel one to waive one's First Amendment rights as a condition of being allowed to make an honest living?

(Hint: It doesn't.)

The same place it says you can't sacrifice babies and smoke pot because your imaginary sky fairy says it's okay.

You are free to believe in any Imaginary Sky Pixies you want. You aren't allowed to disobey laws.

Participating in and/or supporting a celebration of overt evil and immorality most certainly is a sin.

I think a Church that has engaged in Crusades, Wars, Inquisitions, homophobia, misogyny, the slave trade, the abuse of Children and thousands of other crimes against humanity has no fucking business telling the rest of us that sticking your dick in a poopy-hole is "evil".

The Constitution is the highest law;and the First Amendment is part of it.

In calling for this law to be violated, in calling for people to be denied their explicit First Amendment rights to religion and expression, and their implied rights to association and conscience; you forfeit any credibility in speaking of “obeying the law”.

Why do you not call for corrupt judges and legislators, who, as a condition and requirement of their jobs, have sworn an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution, to be punished for violating it?

Guy, most sensible people realize that the First Amendment is not an absolute. Freedom of religion means you can't perform human sacrifices.

You have Freedom of Religion. Your business does not.

Well liberals don't want honesty or discussion. Therefor you need to lie to them jack up and take their money. The liberals will so much happier when you do.

In our business we have dealings with the union workers, lots of demands, lots of unnecessary work because they don't have it together. We don't care for them so we charge more on our bids and let them decide. Our competitors do the same. So, just tell them you are busy or charge them more. Construction contractors will do that all the time. But don't be honest, liberals frown on such nonsense.

again, guy, if you want to have bad business practices, that's your business. You just can't discriminate.

More "check your privilege" bullshit. It's a weak way to deny another person's opinion as valid, used by weak people. Not surprised at all that you have gone running for it.

But considering balkanization and further victim racing is all your side has left as a debating tactic, I am even more not surprised.

Guy, you don't have a valid opinion. You are another white guy whining how he can't get his way on stuff anymore.

Considering I was born in the 70's, and matured well after any systemic racism would have given me any benefit, your pontificating is as usual, completely worthless.

Forum List

Back