As climate changes, boreal forests to shift north, relinquish more carbon than expect

Well assuming that the planet is warming, that would mean that the tundra would be dying long before plant life could migrate north to recapture that CO2.

And while that tundra is dying (its formerly frozen plants will be rotting actually) it will be releasing enormous amounts of previously captured CO2.

And the rotting process is going to create enormous amounts of METHANE, too.

Eventually (in the longer run one supposes) new plant life will begin recapturing (and storing) CO2, that IS true.

But we do not live in the LONGER RUN, we live in the PRESENT.

So at first (and for many years would be my guess) there is a net gain in CO2 and methane IF the arctic tundras start to thaw.

drying up

--LOL

Dying, not drying, Lad.

Most of the plant life in the tundra is long dead but frozen in the perma frost.

When the permafrost melts those dead plants start to rot.

Rotting plants give off CO2 and methane.

Really kiddo, learn some basic chemistry and get back to me, okay?

it is not dead

it is dormant

it comes back to life

when the temps are right

it doesnt matter how long it was frozen

dead plants give off methane btw

the co2 that was in the pllant when it was alive

had been trurned into 02

--LOL

All one need do is look back at paleohistory to see that this, like all other disasters predicted by climate science is just more hysterics with no basis in fact. We know that the holocene optimum, the minoan, the roman, and the medieval warm periods were warmer than the present..what disasters were caused by the greater warming during those times? Answer...none.

All that may be true.

But we were asked to suppose the outcome if the Global Warming is in fact happening to tyhe degree that we are being warned about.

Dying, not drying, Lad.

Most of the plant life in the tundra is long dead but frozen in the perma frost.

When the permafrost melts those dead plants start to rot.

Rotting plants give off CO2 and methane.

Really kiddo, learn some basic chemistry and get back to me, okay?

it is not dead

the vast majority of the tundra is dead plants buried under the living plant life, lad.

it is dormant
The living plant life is. Tht represents a tiny fraction of the frozen (dead) plant material underneath it

it comes back to life

I think we'll have to agree to disagree about this.

I suspect that the living plant life in the tundra is rather minor compared to the now dead plant material it's growing on top of found in the permafrost.

And its the perma frost's dead plant material that is the concern.

the vast majority of the tundra is dead plants buried under the living plant life, lad.

The living plant life is. Tht represents a tiny fraction of the frozen (dead) plant material underneath it

I think we'll have to agree to disagree about this.

I suspect that the living plant life in the tundra is rather minor compared to the now dead plant material it's growing on top of found in the permafrost.

And its the perma frost's dead plant material that is the concern.

it is all a natural cycle

enjoy it while you can

All one need do is look back at paleohistory to see that this, like all other disasters predicted by climate science is just more hysterics with no basis in fact. We know that the holocene optimum, the minoan, the roman, and the medieval warm periods were warmer than the present..what disasters were caused by the greater warming during those times? Answer...none.

yes it is

obviously it was warmer at other times

or the tundra grasses would not be in the perma frost in the first place

All that may be true.

But we were asked to suppose the outcome if the Global Warming is in fact happening to tyhe degree that we are being warned about.

Like I said, even the most hysterical warmist predictions have temperatures falling short of the holocene maximum and it is clear that no dire ecological consequences came about from that period of warming unless you want to call giving humanity a chance to blossom dire ecological consequences.

Forum List

Back