The big eco lie: Solar panels produce five TIMES more carbon dioxide than previously thought, report claims

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
Others have pointed out the same disconnect from reality over these Chinese mad solar panels.

People would rather believe fantasy than facts, though.

Meanwhile selling ourselves to China over a false claim of man made climate change.

Solar panels release five times more carbon dioxide than previously thought, according to a new report.

An Italian researcher made the claims after finding a database that world institutions use to calculate global carbon footprint projections omits emissions from China, which produces 80 percent of solar panels worldwide.

China is known to use coal-burning plants in manufacturing, which has dropped the price of technology for Americans and other Western countries.

Without data from China, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) claims the solar photovoltaic (PV) industry emissions are 48 gCO2/kWh.

However, the new analysis suggests that the number is closer to 170 and 250 gCO2/kWh - 62.5 percent as much carbon dioxide emissions as natural gas electricity generation.

The report was prepared by Italian researcher Enrico Mariutti, who identified a discrepancy in Ecoinvent's data two years ago.

'If I use the standard variables for LCA [life cycle analysis] of PV energy, I arrive at a carbon intensity estimate similar to those of other studies: around 100 gCO2/kWh, Mariutti told DailyMail.com.

'However, those studies omit five crucial variables: methane emissions, albedo, grid upgrades, storage and transport. When included, the estimate drastically increases.'

Robbie Andrew, a researcher at the Center for International Climate Research in Oslo, told the Wall Street Journal in 2021: 'If China didn't have access to coal, then solar power wouldn't be cheap now.

'Is it OK that we've had this huge bulge of carbon emissions from China because it allowed them to develop all these technologies really cheaply?'

johnny-english-agent.gif

this industry is still in its infancy. the panels efficiency is headed up and the price is headed down.

Solar panels release five times more carbon dioxide than previously thought, according to a new report.
It's an insignificant amount of carbon dioxide as far as the Earth's temperature is concerned.

But it is significant because the amount of carbon dioxide a country produces is proportional to it's prosperity.

this industry is still in its infancy. the panels efficiency is headed up and the price is headed down.
My Dude... The first solar voltaic cell was invented in the 1800s.

Solar panel efficiency has effectively increased from 14% to 22% in 63 years.

Sure, there are exotic solar cells that are 47% efficient...but they are so astronomically expensive to manufacture they are currently completely dismissed as viable.

Others have pointed out the same disconnect from reality over these Chinese mad solar panels.

Meanwhile selling ourselves to China over a false claim of man made climate change.

An Italian researcher made the claims after finding a database that world institutions use to calculate global carbon footprint projections omits emissions from China, which produces 80 percent of solar panels worldwide.
China is known to use coal-burning plants in manufacturing, which has dropped the price of technology for Americans and other Western countries.
Without data from China, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) claims the solar photovoltaic (PV) industry emissions are 48 gCO2/kWh.
However, the new analysis suggests that the number is closer to 170 and 250 gCO2/kWh - 62.5 percent as much carbon dioxide emissions as natural gas electricity generation.
The report was prepared by Italian researcher Enrico Mariutti, who identified a discrepancy in Ecoinvent's data two years ago.
'If I use the standard variables for LCA [life cycle analysis] of PV energy, I arrive at a carbon intensity estimate similar to those of other studies: around 100 gCO2/kWh, Mariutti told DailyMail.com.
'However, those studies omit five crucial variables: methane emissions, albedo, grid upgrades, storage and transport. When included, the estimate drastically increases.'
Robbie Andrew, a researcher at the Center for International Climate Research in Oslo, told the Wall Street Journal in 2021: 'If China didn't have access to coal, then solar power wouldn't be cheap now.
'Is it OK that we've had this huge bulge of carbon emissions from China because it allowed them to develop all these technologies really cheaply?'

You forgot to mention (assuming these numbers are correct) that even 5X more than previously thought means less than 2/3 the carbon dioxide as natural gas produced electricity.

So basically what this article is admitting is that solar panels create less pollution than natural gas created electricity. Thanks for that tidbit of info.

I recently posted an article from an official scientific source that showed that every tree on earth produces 40 tons of carbon dioxide each year. Nature needs this in order to function. I'll dig it up and re-post it here tomorrow. I don't know why liberals get so jacked out of shape over the minuscule amount of CO2 produced by human activity. Must be in those liberal genes.

I recently posted an article from an official scientific source that showed that every tree on earth produces 40 tons of carbon dioxide each year. Nature needs this in order to function. I'll dig it up and re-post it here tomorrow. I don't know why liberals get so jacked out of shape over the minuscule amount of CO2 produced by human activity. Must be in those liberal genes.
does your chart show the co2 absorbed during photosynthesis?

there is no doubt that the co2 that you see melting the antarctic (or not if you are blind deaf and dumb) is from the human activity.

There is a noticeable uptick in garden Growth this year.
I have never seen my lawn grow so rapidly. It has to be the increase in the CO2 PPM.
This could actually end world hunger.

You idiot trees ABSORB carbon dioxide. A single average tree ABSORBS 48 pounds of carbon dioxide per year and RELEASES Oxygen. Only when trees start to decompose do they release carbon dioxide.

But to put your lol 40 tons of Carbon dioxide in perspective (I mean I hope you didnt think each tree emits 40 tons of CO2 per year that's even dumber than my original assumption of what you said), the US in 2021 released 5,586,000,000 metric tons of CO2 into the atmosphere. That's just the United States. Even if your number was correct, it's infinitely small when compared to how much is released by industry, transportation, and the power grid.

What in the hell is wrong with you people?

Last edited:
You idiot trees ABSORB carbon dioxide. A single average tree ABSORBS 48 pounds of carbon dioxide per year and RELEASES Oxygen.

What in the hell is wrong with you people?
actually does both (since photosynthesis reverses at night. ) in the summer more foliage converts more co2 to o2. excess leaves fall off as the days grow shorter.

as for "these people," well, what do you expect?

Forum List

Back