Artificial Intelligence

Reflexive Ribosomes

A computer processes commands (inputs) and regurgitates operations (outputs).

A camera makes a light motion recording and 'translates' it into a plane view.

When a human being witnesses a rainbow, he/she wonders if the rainbow is somehow 'corrupted' by acid rain.

Would an A.I. robot translate (or interpret) a process (i.e.,rainbow formation) into (or in terms of) system dynamics (i.e., eco-pollution)?

:afro:

T-1000

t1000.png

Is true 'artificial intelligence' possible? Intelligence in the sense that we understand it as a human trait? If so, what does this mean about our view of ourselves and our place in the world? It raises questions of a spiritual and theological nature as well, but I suppose that's for another thread.
Its proven "possible" we just dont have the details ironed out yet.

Its implications are crazy. Too much to type, more so a convo over a beer or 4.

Unk, you want to have a dumbed down less tedious convo about it?

Meaning, no walls of text ala emily/politicalchic....

U can start it..

U can start it..

Seems to me there are two parts to the issue. Is it or will it ever be possible, and what would it mean to our understanding of ourselves if it were.

Physique: Dollhouse Dreams

When early man (i.e., australopithecines) began to walk upright and evolve away from monkeys, they were eyeing the horizon of the African plains and creating targeting and navigation maps.

As these early humans noticed the layout of the land (vegetation, animalia, terrain, etc.), they began to analyze geometric contours and similarities between natural objects. They began to notice the shape of their own bodies, and the functional elegance of the human physique.

When Leonardo Da Vinci created his famous drawing of the proportionate human body, artists began to think more formally about geometry in art.

How long have human beings made dolls (or statues) to re-present or characterize the shape and elegance of the human body?

Our aspirations to make synthetic brains or robotic humans (A.I.) seems to be connected to a natural curiosity about the shape of the human body system.

It seems therefore that a robot is like a doll, and conceptions of A.I. reach both into the future and back into our past.

A pink tutu would go good with that bun on your head.

What are you talking about, dopey?

I'll bet all the young boys like you ha ha.

What do you mean?
It's not unimaginable to understand that you are too stupid to understand. ....

I've asked you before, have you ever actually studied philosophy formally? It doesn't seem like you have. In fact, it seems like you only turned up to repeat a few poorly thought-out talking points and then get yourself booted so you can sit in the basement telling yourself how you've been wronged yet again.

Is true 'artificial intelligence' possible? Intelligence in the sense that we understand it as a human trait? If so, what does this mean about our view of ourselves and our place in the world? It raises questions of a spiritual and theological nature as well, but I suppose that's for another thread.
In whole sense - not, it is not possible. Man can't create a man by himself, with his own conscious. It can do only God. So, man can only make a discrete machine which could make a billion simple operations a second. People don't act like that, they have an intuition, templates in brain and many other things. Moreover, human's brain is discovered very bad.

Bio-Synthetics: Grip

One of the challenges of 're-creating' the human mind is to imagine a 'synthetic' mind with infinite potential.

In the American film "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" [1991], we encounter a strange robot called the T-1000 which is comprised entirely of a malleable mercury-like material. The T-1000 is sent from the future to destroy leaders of the human resistance against the eventual robot-led empire. One of these human leaders is involved in an investigation into a scientific research of a remnant of a robotic hand.

Such images from pop culture suggest a natural curiosity about the scope and reach of robotics and synthetics. Indeed, robotics comprises the new frontier, taking its place with the somewhat established realm of genetics in modern science.

My favourite robotics avatar from pop culture art is the Insecticon, a robotic warrior that transforms into a predatory insect. Insecticons were evil avatars from the A.I. fantasy-adventure franchise Transformers (Hasbro) which has already been adapted into multiple big-budget Hollywood (USA) films.

The Insecticons are robots that signify an interest in bio-synthetics --- of both body and mind.

Robots must have degrees of freedom in movement which they can coordinate between brain (central processing) and body parts (limbs and nerves).

It's all about flexibility. You can't imagine a synthetic mind with infinite potential without recreating an entire biological system with synthetic materials.

:afro:

mercury.jpg insecticon.jpg

To approprately answer the question we have to consider a contrasting concept to that of Artificial Intelligence. Let it be Natural Intelligence for the simplicity of the argument.

Given Natural Intelligence, endowed to and inherited by any being to capably act without any necessity to learn, we then have Artificial Intelligence, which is basically learned and improving communication.

Is it then possible to have true A.I.? Yes, but its recognition depends on the capacity of one with Natural Intelligence to learn and improve their language not only by their own but with another. This transition therefore would not be the same as endowement or inheritance but more closely relates to cooperation.

Storytelling Sophistication

In the A.I. (Artificial Intelligence) robotics fantasy-adventure franchise Transformers (Hasbro), the heroic Autobot robots vie with the sinister Decepticon robots for dominion.

The Decepticons are beset by internal power struggles when their first-knight, Starscream, rebels and develops his own team of robot warriors called Combaticons (mini-robot warriors that transform into army vehicles) which merge into a giant super-robot named Bruticus.

The Decepticons have to retaliate and develop a team of robot warriors called Stunticons (mini-robot warriors that transform into armed road-race vehicles) which merge into a giant super-robot named Menasor.

Bruticus and Menasor compete and we get a portrait of 'machine monstrosity.'

Bruticus

Menasor

brut2.jpg men2.jpg

"How do we figure out goals for ourselves? How are goals defined? They tend to be defined for a given human by their own personal history, their cultural environment, the history of our civilization. Goals are something that are uniquely human. It's something that almost doesn't make any sense. We ask, what's the goal of our machine? We might have given it a goal when we built the machine."
AI & The Future Of Civilization | Edge.org

"Lack of intelligence is the greatest poverty." Arabic proverb

That raises and important question. Is higher intelligence possible without emotion, and vice versa?
Yes, I think it clearly is.

Intelligence is not defined by emotion. Simply because we are emotional beings does not mean that intelligence is ties to emotion is some manner. Assuming so is nothing more than trying to demand that intelligence must be similar to what we, as humans, experience.

U can start it..

Seems to me there are two parts to the issue. Is it or will it ever be possible, and what would it mean to our understanding of ourselves if it were.
1. Yes, it is possible in my mind.
2. Obviously it would have massive implication is what we hold true in a religious manner and the concept of free will in general.

Some assume that we are somehow special because we are self aware, that no other being has this and therefore it cannot be created in a machine. That our free will separates us from the rest of the universe. I think that is a rather arrogant view in general. Even the existence of free will is rather questionable to me. I can give you a drug that will transform you into another individual entirely - you make different decisions and act in an entirely different manner. My grandmother used to talk about how my grandfather 'was a different man' when he was on his meds to control his anger issues and, quite frankly, she was right. My father was an entirely different individual when he was an addict using cocaine. These chemicals introduced into the brain created completely different outputs than what you would have expected from the person without them, It was a night and day difference in both cases. We are no different than a computer in that aspect - perimeters in our coding (in this case taking the physical form of chemicals rather than magnetic charges on a platter) alter the output with a given input.

The complexity of the system is one of the barriers that we have to overcome if we are seeking AI. We are not only a massive collection of neurons but also of the literally billions of inputs that we are processing every second. Those neurons are also not akin to transistors - they are far more complicated and can have more connections. A neuron may connect up to 10,000 other neurons where a transistor has but 2 states. Essentially, a transistor may send a single that consists of a 1 or 0 where a neuron can send one that comes up with 10,000 different outputs. Put 2 of them together and you have exponential growth that is rather extreme though biological constraints narrows that gap significantly.

We already have computers that learn and rewrite their own internal code to adapt. Learning is another hurdle to overcome in creating AI. As others have pointed out, computers cannot be intelligent if all they are doing is taking information and processing it as a programmer told them to do. We are passed that now though and able to give machines some algorithms to base future programming on (not unlike our instincts that we are born with) and let the computer itself learn what it needs to.

Researchers create a computer program that learns the way humans do
AI computer learns to speak like a four-year-old child
NELL: The Computer that Learns - Carnegie Mellon University | CMU

We are progressing technologically VERY quickly and I have no doubt that true AI will be found sometime in our future. Those that believe it is not possible are no different than those that believed flight or space travel was impossible.

Art: Archaeology

When we look at various entertainment programs about A.I. robots (e.g., Transformers, Robotech, the Terminator franchise, etc.), we find some valuable insights about 'social perspectives' on 'intelligence ghoulishness.'

How should we evaluate these 'market messages'?

Doesn't art symbolize intellectual curiosity?

Robotech

r2.jpg

r1.jpg

Forum List

Back