Artificial Intelligence

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Is true 'artificial intelligence' possible? Intelligence in the sense that we understand it as a human trait? If so, what does this mean about our view of ourselves and our place in the world? It raises questions of a spiritual and theological nature as well, but I suppose that's for another thread.

As a bonus question, how if at all does this relate to transhumanism?

Is true 'artificial intelligence' possible? Intelligence in the sense that we understand it as a human trait?
Human intelligence requires a brain. Artificial intelligence requires a computer.

What about "intelligence" as a concept in and of itself?
Humans do have intelligence; some more so than others. lol What exactly are you asking? Whether humans can be genetically engineered to gather/transmit information similar to Robocop? If so, highly unlikely.

You have your answer. Human intelligence requires a brain. Artificial intelligence requires a computer. Artificial intelligence as a human trait does not compute.

Last edited:
Ok, well, thanks for your participation. Maybe it's time for you to find a thread that's more your speed.

Your question made no sense (to me). Maybe an artificial intelligence on this board can explain it.

Now if kiddie hour is over, would any adults care to comment on the topic?

ran66p.jpg

Is true 'artificial intelligence' possible? Intelligence in the sense that we understand it as a human trait? If so, what does this mean about our view of ourselves and our place in the world? It raises questions of a spiritual and theological nature as well, but I suppose that's for another thread.

Elements of artificial intelligence already exist. An important aspect of human intelligence is pattern recognition. For example, understanding language involves the recognition of audio patterns. There are many systems that are dependent on pattern recognition. There are computer systems that emulate or surpass aspects of human intelligence. For example, language recognition, chess programs, cruise missile guidance systems. Humans have designed chess playing machines that can defeat the best human chess players. Does this mean that regarding pattern recognition chess playing machines are more intelligent than humans? Perhaps it is no more significant than any other machine that is better at its designed task than are humans.

Computational power is an element of intelligence. How much data, and at what speed, can a machine or a human process? Based on its number of neurons, cell connections, and neuron firing speed, a human brain is capable of about 10 trillion calculations per second. This says nothing about useful calculations. But even the simplest acts require huge amounts of data processing, and humans do many things simultaneously, e.g., driving a car while listening to the radio. The current top super computer can process 33 trillion calculations per second, but it is not an example of artificial intelligence. So intelligence involves something more than pattern recognition and data processing.

So what is it about intelligence that humans possess and machines do not? Is it the ability to experience, to abstract? Yes, and more. Will machines someday have these abilities? Yes, and more. The Singularity approaches.

What does this mean about “our place in the world?” We better never lose control of our ability to pull the plug.

As to the topic, you exhibit no signs of intelligence, artificial or otherwise.

But your quota of sanctimony is off the charts.

Good on you, Punky Brewster. :eusa_clap:

Elements of artificial intelligence already exist. An important aspect of human intelligence is pattern recognition. For example, understanding language involves the recognition of audio patterns. There are many systems that are dependent on pattern recognition. There are computer systems that emulate or surpass aspects of human intelligence. For example, language recognition, chess programs, cruise missile guidance systems.

Computers still haven't mastered language to a human extent.

As to the topic, you exhibit no signs of intelligence, artificial or otherwise.

But your quota of sanctimony is off the charts.

Good on you, Punky Brewster.

Thanks for that nothing, idiot. Now go show your ass somewhere else.

My pleasure. See, if you weren't such a pretentious arrogant prick, you might find people willing to play along with your posits of pontification. However, being you are the A # 1 prick of USMB most in need of tooth loss, kiss my lilly white ass, choad guzzler. :eusa_clap:

At this point in time, I don't think it is.

You can write complex programs that "learn", but that learning is still based a set of conditions written in by the programmers.

In terms of "Artificial Intelligence" or more importantly "Self Awareness", I don't think the technology is there yet.

At best you could get something that's "sub insect".

Forum List

Back