Votes: 52 92.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Some are, some aren't.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Undecided/Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I see them as possessions of my family. I love them very much, but not as much as I love my children, and I won't ransom my kids and my kids' well being for my animals, regardless of how much I love them.

I have sold off horses and given away pets when for whatever reason they became impossible for me to support without it representing a significant change in my kids' lives (financial hardship, for example, or just plain hardship).

Right now I'm dealing with a very large, very exhuberant dog that I got before I realized I would be living where I am now (I honestly had no idea), and he's veerrry troubling because he's damaging things. I'm thinking (especially today) hard about whether or not to find him another home. It's a hard decision, but if it's between that and being homeless, guess what? He'd have to go.

Train him, get a crate, give him a job....getting an animal is a commitment not a passing fancy.

Wow, five dogs. Bet you have your hands full.

They're fun - I enjoy training dogs and am involved Australian Shepherd rescue - the number varies depending on whether I foster or not (am not now as this is the max I am comfortable keeping). Three are seniors - 9, 11, 13 - they're easy keepers ;)

Wow, five dogs. Bet you have your hands full.

They're fun - I enjoy training dogs and am involved Australian Shepherd rescue - the number varies depending on whether I foster or not (am not now as this is the max I am comfortable keeping). Three are seniors - 9, 11, 13 - they're easy keepers ;)

My dog was a stray, and decided he would live with us. If I had room and money I would get more dogs, but I am happy with this guy. He is a very non typical pit bull. Most likely part lab .
Australian Shepherds are cool dogs. Not for the lazy though.

My little cattle dog just got diagnosed with cancer.

We caught it early, had the lump removed and now we're scheduled for radiation treatments.

I didn't even ask how much it costs because I don't care he's worth it to me..

I see them as possessions of my family. I love them very much, but not as much as I love my children, and I won't ransom my kids and my kids' well being for my animals, regardless of how much I love them.

I have sold off horses and given away pets when for whatever reason they became impossible for me to support without it representing a significant change in my kids' lives (financial hardship, for example, or just plain hardship).

Right now I'm dealing with a very large, very exhuberant dog that I got before I realized I would be living where I am now (I honestly had no idea), and he's veerrry troubling because he's damaging things. I'm thinking (especially today) hard about whether or not to find him another home. It's a hard decision, but if it's between that and being homeless, guess what? He'd have to go.

Hmm.

That's quite different from me. I won't live in a place that doesn't allow dogs, and I currently have one that has destroyed furniture. And I once had a girlfriend that gave me the choice of getting rid of the dog..or she would leave.

I said, "Nice knowing ya".
So you'd put your dog's well being before your children's?

Not me.

I'm not talking about making a choice between a person who doesn't like your dog and your dog, I would make the same choice as you. I'm talking about choosing your dog over your house, and having to pay out the remainder of your lease if you choose your dog..

It hasn't come to that yet, and I really don't want it to. So I'm scrambling to figure something out. I will, too.

Are your pets family?

Absolutely. And treated as royalty.

D0034BEST-1-1-1-1.jpg

My cat (Sydney) has been my little buddy for 20 years, she follows me from room to room, greets me when I walk in the door and she's always sleeping by my side when I wake up and unlike my wife, lets me keep the bed covers on me! Syd is my cat.
Then we have Bud, who we rescued from a shelter, he's deaf and has only barked five times since we took him into our home six years ago. What a great watch dog! We're pretty sure he was abused by his previous owner, so he gets a lot of loving care. He loves kids and kids love him. My three year old grand daughter kisses him goodbye whenever she's visiting. She even calls up and asks to speak to Bud! So we put the receiver by Bud's ear and we can hear my grand daughter tell Bud how much she loves him. It's darn cute. Bud is my wife's dog and yes, he is family.

If a dog bites his owner, dog will be sent to sleep.
A father will always forgive his son with time, or the other way round.

I don't communicate with animals. And I don't put a string around the children's neck.
This is not family -->
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9814/138507.jpg

No you don't treat them the same but there is a connection. You grow to love them. I never had pets growing up and I still don't, my daughter does and I really like her dogs. They know you and greet you, they remember things about you.

I have a pic in my profile of one of my daughter's doggies. You can really see warmth in that cute face.

Hmm.

That's quite different from me. I won't live in a place that doesn't allow dogs, and I currently have one that has destroyed furniture. And I once had a girlfriend that gave me the choice of getting rid of the dog..or she would leave.

Not me.

I'm not talking about making a choice between a person who doesn't like your dog and your dog, I would make the same choice as you. I'm talking about choosing your dog over your house, and having to pay out the remainder of your lease if you choose your dog..

It hasn't come to that yet, and I really don't want it to. So I'm scrambling to figure something out. I will, too.

What are you doing? How old is the dog? There are a lot of things you can try to remedy the situation without losing home or dog....

Katie says my relationship with my dog Monty is a little disturbing. Then I remind her that in this house, Monty outranks her.

:eusa_angel:

Recently I had the opportunity to shop for homeowners insurance.

One question they all asked: Do we have pet's? How big is your dog? Has it ever bitten anyone?

Thank the gods, they never asked about the 15 or 17 year old teens.

my husband says it is disgusting to let the clark drank out of my glass then drank from it myself....that its nasty.....i point out he has no problem with other things being inserted into my mouth...and the fight is on lol

Hmm.

Not me.

What are you doing? How old is the dog? There are a lot of things you can try to remedy the situation without losing home or dog....

Oh, he's young, a year old next month. And he's huge. And I don't have a fenced yard (I did when I got him). And he sort of bounces from one thing to the next, it's always something. A couple of weeks ago, it was peeing because he was undergoing steroid treatment. THAT was fun. Now he feels great...and he's discovered where the rug meets the hardwood floor. He destroyed my daughter's favorite shoes (though that's sort of a given, if he can get to them. We've gone through a few pairs of shoes in the last 7 months). But yesterday, he separated the rug, and then when I rushed home at noon to check on him and let him out before rushing back to work, he raced out the front door and down the street. He went about a block before he turned around.

So yesterday just wasn't a very good day...it was better in the evening. And today is my last day of work for 10 days! So I'll be able to spend some quality time with him, get some pet repellent for the areas he's worrying, and have somebody look at the rug and figure out what we can do. I didn't even know my floor was really wood, though I suspected. I thought it was just that super tough wood looking linoleum stuff. He hasn't hurt it. Yet. After his run he was really good for the rest of the day, lol. He needs that edge taken off of him every day, and I can't always do it. I can unless anything changes, but when things change, I'm screwed. This week, the childcare has changed for winter break, which means everything is a half hour earlier in the morning, plus I have to make lunch for the kids which eats another 15 out of the morning..and that's our walk time. This is the last day of that particular hassle, though. We made it. Whew.

Forum List

Back