are you better off than you were two years ago ?

Notice how the Henny Penny crowd blames Obama and whines when it is accurately pointed out that the economic shit hit the fan under the Booooooooooosh administration?
Notice how deficit spending was not an issue during the first decade of this new century until Obama took office and saved jobs (such as those in the auto industry), stopping what may have become a second great depression? Notice too that the HP crowd relies on emotion rather than reason to support their ideology, and never, ever posits a practical solution to the myriad of problems left to us by Bush and 'wall street; greed?
Notice the one-line idiotgrams they post, none suggest anything but the usual talking points: Cut taxes, cut regulations and drill baby drill.

:clap2:

You idiotic liberals blame Bush for letting 9/11 happen after being Pres for 8 months but then Obama is Pres for almost 2 years and you blame Bush.

See how hypocritical you are?

Idiot wingnuts think Obama was responsible for 9/11

Interesting kick-ass column by a savvy business advisor.
Conversations - Expert’s Advice - Stop Whining and Run Your Small Business - Question - NYTimes.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 11, 2010
Conversations
Fire Your Relatives. Scare Your Employees. And Stop Whining.
By KERMIT PATTISON

IT’S not the economy, stupid, it’s you. So says George Cloutier, author of “Profits Aren’t Everything, They’re the Only Thing” (HarperBusiness, 2009). Mr. Cloutier, the 63-year-old founder and chief executive of American Management Services, specializes in advising small and midsize businesses and turning troubled companies around.

His advice is to put profits above all. Always pay yourself first. Shock your laggard employees. Don’t accept excuses. His ax falls on trade shows (“they’re just a flimsy excuse for a paid vacation”), sweat equity (“I call it working for nothing and being a fool”) and teamwork (“vastly overrated”). And if you ever apply for a job at American Management Services, don’t mention that you like to play golf. A condensed version of a conversation with Mr. Cloutier follows.

Q. Lots of people blame the recession for putting them out of business. You don’t buy it?

A. I’m a little bit of a hawk on that one. The recession has been an excuse for poor performance. Why does your work dry up? Normally because you haven’t built a strong enough sales organization.

Q. What do most troubled companies have in common?

A. They have not implemented strong financial reporting. Small businesses fail to focus on the basics — doing your P.& L.’s [profit and loss statements] and paying attention to cash flow.

Q. What are you trying to drive into people’s heads when you say, “It’s not the economy, stupid, it’s you.”

A. Look, what happened yesterday is now done. Tomorrow is a new day. I have to cut my costs viciously. I have to spend a great deal more time on my sales and marketing, and I have to stop whining and get to work.

Q. You recommend that businesses never pay their vendors on time. What do your vendors say about that?

A. We tell our vendors, if you’re asking for 15 days, forget it. We’re going to pay you in 45 days. You don’t want the work? Tell me, and I’ll find somebody else. You have to work on stretching your payables because every dollar you get in extended payables is an interest-free loan. You have to spend time, go see them and negotiate. Honor your word. But don’t think 30 days is a good deal. It’s not.

Q. You’re a big advocate of micromanagement. What’s wrong with hiring people you trust and letting them do their jobs?

A. Getting good people is 100 times more difficult than conventional wisdom says. The fact is, you’re going to deal with a lot of mediocre people, no matter how hard you try. You have got to have a system in place to check on how they’re doing. If someone says, “I’m going to deliver $2 million in sales in the first six months,” you have to follow that every day. Like Ronald Reagan said, trust but verify. We actually have a button that’s says. “I’m a control freak and proud of it.”

Q. Tell me about being a control freak.

A. I have an extensive control system. I can tell you right now how many sales have been made today with new clients. I can tell you what our bank balances were this morning, how much line of credit I’ve used, how many people were in the recruiting class we’re having two weeks from now. I have a very strong view that you should be carefully monitoring — and intervene early rather than late when you see something going off track.

Q. You tell business owners to forget about being likable. Is there something wrong with employees liking you?

A. You have to treat your people with respect. If they have a personal problem, you have to help them through it. You have to follow the law. But we also need to get things done as asked. The abandonment of that principle is a large factor in the failure of small businesses to achieve real profitability.

Q. Do business owners coddle their people too much?

A. The concept that if you love your employees they’ll perform is on the edge of insanity. It’s not that you want to hurt your employees, but you have a mission. You’re paid to produce results.

Q. Can your employees talk back to you or say, “Sorry, boss, but that’s a stupid idea?”

A. We actually did a survey around Christmas of their attitudes toward the company. Two-thirds of them thought the company was changing for the better. We let them write any comments they had. One guy that worked for me for 10 years wrote, “If I fell dead at my desk, George wouldn’t notice for two days.” Sure, we let them talk back. We like to listen, but you can only listen so much and then you have to make a choice.

Q. What’s your view of fear as a management tool?

A. Fear is the best motivator.

Q. Are you a tyrant?

A. I’m sure many people would view me as difficult. If I ask you to do something and you say, “Geez, I don’t have enough time to do that.” Well, maybe I don’t have enough time to sign your check this week.

Q. You say, “Love your business more than your family.” What does your wife think of that?

A. Well, she loves me, but I’m not sure she would always agree with that. I’m not saying don’t love your family. But if you don’t love your business as much as your family, your probability of success is very much lower. Sometimes you just have to put the business ahead of family considerations.

Q. How many times have you been married?

A. This is my third marriage. But you have to look at it this way — it’s over 63 years. I’ve had a lot of spacing between them.

Q. Do you have kids?

A. I never had kids... But I would also say my current wife has not ruled that out.

Q. One might argue it’s easier for you to take these hard-line positions because you haven’t had to balance family considerations.

A. I would be the first one to say it probably is easier. But the reality is, if you’re not fully committed and prepared to sacrifice what many of us would view as the traditional family role, you have a much higher probability of failing in a small business.

Q. What do you think of “The 4-Hour Workweek” [a best-selling book by Timothy Ferriss]?

A. Oh, forget it. I haven’t even read it yet. I don’t want to die of laughter.

Q. You say the best family business has only one member — in other words, fire your relatives. What’s wrong with family businesses?

A. A member of the family, if they’re not carefully policed or indoctrinated by the principle of the business, tends to feel entitled. That entitlement is terrible for morale and is terrible for the business.

Q. What about a relative who’s highly competent and well respected?

A. They should work better than your conventional nonfamily members. If they don’t, parole them. Give them some money to go away.

Q. You say no owner should be satisfied with his business. What dissatisfies you about yours?

A. I feel that I should triple the size of the business over the next 10 years because I’m getting old. I’m a little dissatisfied we haven’t done that. I semi-retired for about five years and that was probably something I won’t do again. They’re going to carry me out of here in my shoes.

Maybe we should pull the plug on the two military escapades we got going and use that money to help Americans here at home who find themselves unemployed and without prospect.

Tell your dear leader...

Aparently, we ain't getting out for a long time...

At least the two wars keep a whole lotta people employed.

So who do you propose we invade next to bring down unemployment?

Pok-E-stahn?

Maybe someone Barry hasn't bowed to yet...

Tell your dear leader...

Pok-E-stahn?

Perfect example of an idiotgram. Maybe the good Dr. has had too much pain medication to think clearly, critically and post a cogent message. Or maybe the kool-aid has caused him to ignore reality. The world according to LImbaugh, et al dispensed without this warning:
"Propaganda is harmful to your mental health; rinse your brain carefully of all opinions not tested by critical thought. Failure to do so can result in foolis posts and ideological infection."

Pok-E-stahn?

Perfect example of an idiotgram. Maybe the good Dr. has had too much pain medication to think clearly, critically and post a cogent message. Or maybe the kool-aid has caused him to ignore reality. The world according to LImbaugh, et al dispensed without this warning:
"Propaganda is harmful to your mental health; rinse your brain carefully of all opinions not tested by critical thought. Failure to do so can result in foolis posts and ideological infection."

Wow... I didn't know you cared so much...

I could lie and say I'm flattered, but mostly it's just creepy...:eusa_shifty:

Pok-E-stahn?

Care? I suggest you not be silly but that suggests you might have something of substance to offer.

Tell your dear leader...

Pok-E-stahn?

I don't advocate invading anyone else, and that wasn't my point, fool. But I also don't think any consideration was given to the number of people who will be coming home (military and civilians) who will be looking for work--just as they were following World War II (my own father being one).

Pok-E-stahn?

Sorry, but you're the one who's creepy (among other things). Anyone who has to hijack a star's TV series photograph has some serious personal image problems.

it's too bad that, the republican senators voted down unbuck extension. at some point someone has to be realistic about finance. the democrat congress wasted the money on "the sex life of a college freshman girl" and seven mil for hillary's pollster. we can't stay an uncontolled frivolous spending indefinately. your hard earned tax money isn't monopoly money. so it's time to start asking "are you better off than you were two years ago? as promised? pood pa nub.

Your post is rambling nonsense, but I will answer anyway.

Two years ago, June 2008

Stock market and housing market was in a collapse. I lost 33% of my 401K and my house lost 20% in value. My 21 yr old son was cancelled from my health insurance plan and had to go on the private market to spend too much money on a plan that pays very little.

Today, June 2010

The Stock Market has recovered much of what it lost and my 401K is almost back to where it was two years ago. My house is still below value but has regained 5-10% of its loss.
With the passing of healthcare, I can now put my son back onto my healthcare plan and he can have full coverage again.

So, the answer in my situation is that I am better off than I was two years ago

The question should be, "Are you better of today thqan you were 4 years ago?" We are coming up on a mid term, not a presidential election.

What were your stock holdings, your home value and your insurance situation then vs. now.

Does the health care bill allow you to insure your son again already or is that one of the parts that holds off until 2014?

I'm in pretty much the same position, but my neighbors are hurting. My nephew, who is in his 30's, is living with my brother again and there is no game plan for him moving out -- because the only job he could find pays minimum wage. My across the street neighbor, who relies entirely on meals on wheels for her food, is now getting only 4 out of 7 days' worth. My next door neighbor, who almost certainly has a broken foot, is delaying treatment until she can locate a cut rate medical provider, because she cannot pay full price in cash.

All in all, I don't see the recovery taking hold among people whose lives touch mine.

I don't know where you live. In indianapolis we have Wishard Hospital that treats the poor and uninsured. Encourage your neighbor with the broken foot to research and find a care center like Wishard in your area.

If there are none, your neighbor can go to any emergncy room and they are required by law to treat the foot.

I'm in pretty much the same position, but my neighbors are hurting. My nephew, who is in his 30's, is living with my brother again and there is no game plan for him moving out -- because the only job he could find pays minimum wage. My across the street neighbor, who relies entirely on meals on wheels for her food, is now getting only 4 out of 7 days' worth. My next door neighbor, who almost certainly has a broken foot, is delaying treatment until she can locate a cut rate medical provider, because she cannot pay full price in cash.

All in all, I don't see the recovery taking hold among people whose lives touch mine.

I don't know where you live. In indianapolis we have Wishard Hospital that treats the poor and uninsured. Encourage your neighbor with the broken foot to research and find a care center like Wishard in your area.

If there are none, your neighbor can go to any emergncy room and they are required by law to treat the foot.

ER's are not required by law to treat a broken foot if the person has no insurance and the injury is not life-threatening.

i still think its hilarious that the same GOP that spent trillions on useless wars and medicaid part D is now getting fiscally responsible over 31 billion....

I really don't care if someone's tender little feeling are hurt...And I don't care who does it or for what reason........but.

WE CAN'T KEEP SPENDING MONEY WE DON'T HAVE.......WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE.
SPEND.....SPEND.....SPEND....THAT'S ALL THESE PEOPLE KNOW.

Two years we are paying unemployment benefits....I thought Obama the savior turned the economy around.That's all I hear from MSNBC.Now they are talking about doing another
STIIMULUS package.Like the first one did so well.:cuckoo:

Who did Cheney meet with and what did they deside in his energy meetings?

You voted for this oil spill.

The Democrats have chaired every committee in both houses of Congress overseeing every regulatory commission and reviewing every regulation in force since January 1 2007.

By my calendar, they had more than three years to remedy anything done by ***** Bush.

What were they doing between the time they accepted all those donations from BP and the explosion on the Deep Water Horizon?

How long must the Democrats be in charge of things before they become responsible for the situation which is a dismal failure on all issues at all times?

Please give me a number of months or years or decades or centuries that it will require before the Dems bear some responsibility for the mess they've made.

Sorry, but you're the one who's creepy (among other things). Anyone who has to hijack a star's TV series photograph has some serious personal image problems.

I hope you aren't upset if I don't care what you, a Barry-worshiping leftoid, thinks of me...

I am better off now. two years ago I was still in school, now I am done and 1 of 4 that started whats becoming a really successful company

Congratulations!

To what do you credit your success?

Yes, much better.

1. No longer in danger of losing my job - I really thought it would happen as I supply American car makers w/materials
2. Got a bonus again for the 1st time in 2 years
3. Getting a raise this year - I ain't no CEO, so they were put on hold
4. American car market heating up (I do traffic/logistics for industrial textiles)
5. Convinced my landlord to freeze my rent this year - would have gone up another 4.5%, which is criminal in this economy. Greedy biyotch. If my bathroom ceiling collapses again this year (would be the 3rd time), there will be blood. And no, I can't afford to move.
6. Paid off my student loans and am now able to put that money in savings.
7. My 401K is rebounding nicely.

Yep, I'm doing much, MUCH better than I was 2 years ago

Not trying to give investment advice, but your 401 K can be used to make a downpayment on a primary dwelling. You may be at the right time with a nest egg if you have a sufficient amount in the 401 K.

Lord knows there are plenty of distressed owners who have to sell short right now. In most transactions, there is a winner and a loser. With the right property, you could post a big win.

the gulf spill is our Dust bowl.

You can thank Cheney for his energy policy along with Bush fro crashing the world economy and giving us two failed wars.

Who did Cheney meet with and what did they deside in his energy meetings?

You voted for this oil spill.

:gives: :anj_stfu:

Notice how the Henny Penny crowd blames Obama and whines when it is accurately pointed out that the economic shit hit the fan under the Booooooooooosh administration?
Notice how deficit spending was not an issue during the first decade of this new century until Obama took office and saved jobs (such as those in the auto industry), stopping what may have become a second great depression? Notice too that the HP crowd relies on emotion rather than reason to support their ideology, and never, ever posits a practical solution to the myriad of problems left to us by Bush and 'wall street; greed?
Notice the one-line idiotgrams they post, none suggest anything but the usual talking points: Cut taxes, cut regulations and drill baby drill.

Booooooosssshhhh Booooooooooossssssssshhhhhhhhhh Boooooooooossssssssshhhhhhhh

BLAH BLAH BALH BLAH BLAH BALH BLAH BLAH BALH BLAH BLAH BALH

The original question was are you better off now? To answer it.... NO I am not, but I'm not whining about it... I am dealing with it like a man. I changed careers at 42, and Im making the best of it for my wife and kids.

Get over it...... Booooooooooooossssssssshhhhhhhhh isnt to blame for what is happening now.
Booooooooooooooossssssssshhhhhhhhhhh didnt blame that sex addict that was there before him. No, he rolled up his sleeves and made it worse! Just like the asshole in the white house is doing now.

Gawd you Obama zombies make me sick!
:evil:

it's too bad that, the republican senators voted down unbuck extension. at some point someone has to be realistic about finance. the democrat congress wasted the money on "the sex life of a college freshman girl" and seven mil for hillary's pollster. we can't stay an uncontolled frivolous spending indefinately. your hard earned tax money isn't monopoly money. so it's time to start asking "are you better off than you were two years ago? as promised? pood pa nub.

Your post is rambling nonsense, but I will answer anyway.

Two years ago, June 2008

Stock market and housing market was in a collapse. I lost 33% of my 401K and my house lost 20% in value. My 21 yr old son was cancelled from my health insurance plan and had to go on the private market to spend too much money on a plan that pays very little.

Today, June 2010

The Stock Market has recovered much of what it lost and my 401K is almost back to where it was two years ago. My house is still below value but has regained 5-10% of its loss.
With the passing of healthcare, I can now put my son back onto my healthcare plan and he can have full coverage again.

So, the answer in my situation is that I am better off than I was two years ago

The question should be, "Are you better of today thqan you were 4 years ago?" We are coming up on a mid term, not a presidential election.

What were your stock holdings, your home value and your insurance situation then vs. now.

Does the health care bill allow you to insure your son again already or is that one of the parts that holds off until 2014?

I am probably about the same as 2006 maybe slightly better. The crash of 2007-2008 took a major bite out of my personal wealth as it did most people. My salary has been roughly the same and has risen maybe $10K.
The healthcare bill will enable me to put him back on my policy in Jan 2011. That will be a major savings in benefits paid and the amount of coverage.

Forum List

Back