Are we an overweight board?

Maybe, just maybe is some of you who find yourselves on these message boards morning til night, would actually log off and get some exercise, we might now be so top heavy.

Yes, I'm talking to you. And you. And yeah, you too!

Wait a minute, I know you ain't talkin to me. I weigh a buck twenty after a heavy meal. I am no lard ass.
Well, there is the whole meth thing.
But I ain't fat.

:up:

Fixed the typos. I'd blame spell check but this time I blame my need for speed ... on the keyboard.

Hey, I never called anyone a lard ass.

I lift weights.

Every morning.

Upon getting out of bed.

Moobs?

Nope.

Left arm. Right arm.

Right leg. Left leg.

My chins.

My rolls and rolls and rolls of blubber.

I have been assured that these are my physical attributes by many Members of the USMB (who have nevertheless never laid eyes on me), so let's just run with it.

I mean, waddle. I have been assured of that, too.

Mebbe its a combo of iron deficiency and hormones...
:eusa_shifty:
Do hunger hormones make us fat?
20 March 2012 - Research into the hormones that control our appetite may offer new ways to help fight obesity, according to scientists investigating how the brain helps regulate what we eat.
At 21 stone, Marilyn Walsh felt she had run out of ways to battle her weight and had developed a sense of fatalism about her future. "My uncle was about 35 stone," she said. "He suffered with weight throughout his whole life - leg problems, stopped walking. He developed diabetes and lots of other problems. And he did die because of his weight."

Given what had happened to her uncle, why was Marilyn, a 38-year-old housewife and mum from London, not able to reduce her weight through dieting? "It would be a bit like saying: 'Why can't an alcoholic stop drinking?' 'Why can't a smoker stop smoking?' It's exactly the same," she said. "It's something that's been with me all my life. I'm always hungry, and always wanting food."

Constant craving

Everyone knows what it feels like to be hungry, but to have a constant craving and the inability to feel satisfied in the way that Marilyn described was clearly more unusual. But what is different about people like Marilyn? Over the past six months, Marilyn has undergone an operation to reduce her weight - an operation which has helped reveal some surprising insights into the mechanisms that control appetite in all of us.

Dr Carel Le Roux, of Imperial College and King's College Hospital in London, studies obesity and the underlying processes that help control the decisions we all make to eat - or overeat. In 2001, the research unit at Imperial discovered vital clues. They identified two previously unknown hormones called PYY and ghrelin which seem to play a part in our sensations of fullness and hunger. Ghrelin was linked to the sensation of hunger and PYY to fullness. "It completely opened up a new chapter," said Dr Le Roux, "because for the first time we understood that the gut can actually talk to the brain and influence how hungry you are, or how full you are."

More BBC News - Do hunger hormones make us fat?

20 March 2012 - Research into the hormones that control our appetite may offer new ways to help fight obesity, according to scientists investigating how the brain helps regulate what we eat.
At 21 stone, Marilyn Walsh felt she had run out of ways to battle her weight and had developed a sense of fatalism about her future. "My uncle was about 35 stone," she said. "He suffered with weight throughout his whole life - leg problems, stopped walking. He developed diabetes and lots of other problems. And he did die because of his weight."

Given what had happened to her uncle, why was Marilyn, a 38-year-old housewife and mum from London, not able to reduce her weight through dieting? "It would be a bit like saying: 'Why can't an alcoholic stop drinking?' 'Why can't a smoker stop smoking?' It's exactly the same," she said. "It's something that's been with me all my life. I'm always hungry, and always wanting food."

Constant craving

Everyone knows what it feels like to be hungry, but to have a constant craving and the inability to feel satisfied in the way that Marilyn described was clearly more unusual. But what is different about people like Marilyn? Over the past six months, Marilyn has undergone an operation to reduce her weight - an operation which has helped reveal some surprising insights into the mechanisms that control appetite in all of us.

Dr Carel Le Roux, of Imperial College and King's College Hospital in London, studies obesity and the underlying processes that help control the decisions we all make to eat - or overeat. In 2001, the research unit at Imperial discovered vital clues. They identified two previously unknown hormones called PYY and ghrelin which seem to play a part in our sensations of fullness and hunger. Ghrelin was linked to the sensation of hunger and PYY to fullness. "It completely opened up a new chapter," said Dr Le Roux, "because for the first time we understood that the gut can actually talk to the brain and influence how hungry you are, or how full you are."

GAINING weight when you are instructed to isn't a snap either. When I get below 100, doctors start lecturing.

It's a great Country. Who would have thought 200 years ago that we would bitch about having too much to eat? You gotta wonder though when and if the grossly obese ever get the message. Is it the stack of pizza boxes that towers over the garage or the first time they settle into a mobile shopping cart because they can't navigate around Walmart on their own legs anymore?

For me it was a trip to the hospital, being diagnosed as being pre diabetic and having borderline high cholesterol and knee pain that woke me up at night. This all happened by 1/2/12 Needless to say I felt like shit. I've since lost 26 lbs and feel so much better.

Constant craving

GAINING weight when you are instructed to isn't a snap either. When I get below 100, doctors start lecturing.

Agreed, although I have not been below 100 since I was a kid, but I get your point. When I was younger and playing sports I would try and put on weight, and never succeeded in anything more then 5 lbs.

Rumpy DENIES that he is overweight.

UglyGirl.jpg

But you be the judge. I say he/she/it has put on a couple of pounds, in each finger.

Forum List

Back