Youth Courts, a better way?

Wry Catcher

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
"There are approximately 1,040 youth courts nationwide, and nearly 70 youth courts in California. Youth courts serve teenagers arrested on misdemeanor charges or a minor felony. A youth charged with an offense opts out of a hearing in juvenile court and agrees to a sentencing forum before a jury of peers. Teens in youth courts act in traditional courtroom roles such as attorney, clerk and bailiff, as well as serve on the jury. Sentences issued by the teen jury typically involve activities such as community service, written apologies, essays, educational workshops and jury service."

For more information see:

California Courts - Peer/Youth Courts

or google Youth Courts for more background.

Discuss.

Why or why not is this a good idea in your view.

To me it looks like one more way for kids to game the system before they face serious trouble.

Interesting concept. If they face juries and judges who are also students, the verdicts might be a great deal harsher.

asking kids to participate in society and act like adults creates better adults

• Banned

To me it looks like one more way for kids to game the system before they face serious trouble.

Interesting concept. If they face juries and judges who are also students, the verdicts might be a great deal harsher.

Of course some kids will 'game' the system, but the end game for them is juvenile court. There are volumes of data, studies and opinions on the merits of this concept. Your observation that kids will mete out grater punishments than would a probation officer or juvenile court referee/judge/commissioner are generally true. POs, prosecutors and triers of fact see serious crimes and repeat offenders, making the lesser offender too often an afterthought.

The fact that kids develop an understanding of our system of law and justice first as defendants, and later as prosecutors/jurors defense attorney's and bailiffs intrigues me. Remember too, the only way to move up in the system is to first be found to have violated a rule or law, and to successfully fulfill the terms and conditions of 'probation', i.e., write an essay, a letter of apology, complete community service, etc. and then to serve as a juror.

asking kids to participate in society and act like adults creates better adults

are-toddlers-and-tiaras-mothers-doping-their-daughters-girls-drinks-spiked-with-pageant-crack-and-go-go-juice-in-most-shocking-scenes-yet-1__oPt.jpg

"There are approximately 1,040 youth courts nationwide, and nearly 70 youth courts in California. Youth courts serve teenagers arrested on misdemeanor charges or a minor felony. A youth charged with an offense opts out of a hearing in juvenile court and agrees to a sentencing forum before a jury of peers. Teens in youth courts act in traditional courtroom roles such as attorney, clerk and bailiff, as well as serve on the jury. Sentences issued by the teen jury typically involve activities such as community service, written apologies, essays, educational workshops and jury service."

For more information see:

California Courts - Peer/Youth Courts

or google Youth Courts for more background.

Discuss.

I don't agree. I think "Youth"...knows exactly what they are doing and should be punished just like an adult.

Well, apparently three votes to continue doing the same thing we've been doing and expecting a different result. Sad, really really sad.

Actually, i do not agree with the Juvenal courts. They are far to easy on teens doing "adult" crimes. Little criminals are nothing more then big criminals in a small body.

Of course some kids will 'game' the system, but the end game for them is juvenile court. There are volumes of data, studies and opinions on the merits of this concept. Your observation that kids will mete out grater punishments than would a probation officer or juvenile court referee/judge/commissioner are generally true. POs, prosecutors and triers of fact see serious crimes and repeat offenders, making the lesser offender too often an afterthought.

The fact that kids develop an understanding of our system of law and justice first as defendants, and later as prosecutors/jurors defense attorney's and bailiffs intrigues me. Remember too, the only way to move up in the system is to first be found to have violated a rule or law, and to successfully fulfill the terms and conditions of 'probation', i.e., write an essay, a letter of apology, complete community service, etc. and then to serve as a juror.
My initial impression is that I like the idea.

I work with young adults at universities who are self governing with only a professor or a dean as a faculty adviser. I find their panels mete out very fair, even sometimes harsher, penalties for their peers who break the rules.

However, I would always want at least one adult official being an integral part of the process.

And, if it's a violent crime I'm thinking it may be more proper to toss them in the adult criminal court.

But, my initial impression is that I like it...a lot. I reserve the right to change my mind as the discussion progresses, though.

First I've heard of these...:cool:

I work with young adults at universities who are self governing with only a professor or a dean as a faculty adviser. I find their panels mete out very fair, even sometimes harsher, penalties for their peers who break the rules.

However, I would always want at least one adult official being an integral part of the process.

And, if it's a violent crime I'm thinking it may be more proper to toss them in the adult criminal court.

But, my initial impression is that I like it...a lot. I reserve the right to change my mind as the discussion progresses, though.

A university youth..is far different then a little hood gang banger "youth".

Very true. I'm making the assumption that the participants in the youth court, other than the criminals, are going to be exceptional high school students with respect to scholarly abilities.

That may be a bad assumption of mine.

If it is the case, I can picture those kids being pretty tough (relatively so, considering the punishments outlined in the OP) on other kids.

I'm thinking back to when I was in high school - it was a judgmental time for all of us.

Very true. I'm making the assumption that the participants in the youth court, other than the criminals, are going to be exceptional high school students with respect to scholarly abilities.

If it is the case, I can picture those kids being pretty tough (relatively so, considering the punishments outlined in the OP) on other kids.

I'm thinking back to when I was in high school - it was a judgmental time for all of us.

Let me put it this way... some little punk kid who whats to perpetrate some misdemeanor or minor felony on me or my property,i really don't think a bunch of teens handing out written apologies or committee service is punishment enough.

Tag my fence... i what the kid in jail, and the parents sued for damages.

Let me put it this way... some little punk kid who whats to perpetrate some misdemeanor or minor felony on me or my property,i really don't think a bunch of teens handing out written apologies or committee service is punishment enough.

I can understand that. I'm thinking that a tagging offense isn't likely to get much jail time in the regular juvie court, anyway, though. Probably probation.

Anything violent, though, - violence on a person - should definitely be handled in the regular court. I agree.

And property damage? Sue the parents, always, if you can. I would try, that's for sure.

I can understand that. I'm thinking that a tagging offense isn't likely to get much jail time in the regular juvie court, anyway, though. Probably probation.

Anything violent, though, - violence on a person - should definitely be handled in the regular court. I agree.

And property damage? Sue the parents, always, if you can. I would try, that's for sure.

Tagging was just an example... but i think you get what i am saying.

Sorry, youth court does not work for me. I want criminal kid with a record that follows them the rest of their little punk lives.

Forum List

Back