Are there superior intelligences out there?

that are we to frogs?
I'm sure there is smarter than us. To think otherwise would be arrogant and ignorant.

But, if it weren't for the meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs we'd still be hiding in trees, caves and underground.

I think about how the dolphins brain has been evolving for millions of years longer than ours. I bet most life on other planets have not invented electricity or fire or medicine. If the meteor didn't screw up the dinosaurs survival of the fittest would have kept us down. Luckily for us we work well in teams and we multiplied faster than the lions and tigers could eat us

that are we to frogs?

Australian Fossils Hint At Where To Search For Life On Mars

If we find out that there was once life on mars, that will confirm life is probably all over the universe. It'll prove earth isn't unique.

The fossil finding predates the previous oldest evidence for life on land by almost 600 million years, the scientists say.

This recent finding, Djokic says, is "a geological perspective saying actually, really early on we're already seeing life on land. So it just lends weight potentially to an argument suggesting that the origin of life on land might be something to consider."

It could also suggest where to look in the search for life on Mars.

NASA is currently considering where to land the rover on its 2020 Mars Exploration Mission, and one of the sites is a "hot spring-type setting," about the same age as the early Earth, Djokic says.

"If you're going to look for life on Mars, we know it was preserved on hot springs here on the ancient earth," she says. "So there's a good chance if it ever developed on Mars, then it would probably be preserved in hot springs there, too."

that are we to frogs?

If we find out that there was once life on mars, that will confirm life is probably all over the universe. It'll prove earth isn't unique.

The fossil finding predates the previous oldest evidence for life on land by almost 600 million years, the scientists say.

This recent finding, Djokic says, is "a geological perspective saying actually, really early on we're already seeing life on land. So it just lends weight potentially to an argument suggesting that the origin of life on land might be something to consider."

NASA is currently considering where to land the rover on its 2020 Mars Exploration Mission, and one of the sites is a "hot spring-type setting," about the same age as the early Earth, Djokic says.

"If you're going to look for life on Mars, we know it was preserved on hot springs here on the ancient earth," she says. "So there's a good chance if it ever developed on Mars, then it would probably be preserved in hot springs there, too."

If there's "life" on Mars in the form of simpler lifeforms in a fossilized state, we may just find that they are the same as ours. If there is life anywhere in our Solar System, it may very well all be genetically related.

As close as we are to Proxima Centauri, and the likelihood of our two Oort Clouds intersecting, this relation may also carry over to our neighbors.

The age of galactic discovery is only an infant still. Exciting times ahead!

that are we to frogs?

If there's "life" on Mars in the form of simpler lifeforms in a fossilized state, we may just find that they are the same as ours. If there is life anywhere in our Solar System, it may very well all be genetically related.

As close as we are to Proxima Centauri, and the likelihood of our two Oort Clouds intersecting, this relation may also carry over to our neighbors.

I find it amazing that our planet is surrounded by a bubble that protects us from outer space and also our solar system is surrounded by a bubble of radiation that our sun kicks out and everything in it is in our solar system. Voyager 1 is just now beyond our solar systems bubble. It is truly doing interstellar travel now. Boy is it in for a long dark sightless trip to the next star. Hundreds of thousands of years. Message in a bottle. Hope someone finds it.

that are we to frogs?

I won't even argue with people who think we are the only life in the universe. Even though there's no proof yet it seems mathematically impossible we are alone.

So I don't even wonder if we are alone. I wonder how common, how close? How intelligent?

Like out of 1000 planets with life is it 1 in 1000 that have intelligent life? One in a million? Every other?

A dolphins brain has been evolving for millions of years longer than ours. I bet more planets have dinosaurs that weren't accidentally wiped out, giving way for us to relax and invent.

If there were still dinosaurs we would still exist but we'd still be in the Stone age.

Any intelligent creatures looking at us from their planet are seeing the dinosaurs not us.

And if we are looking at a planet that has no life, that's not to say life isn't forming now slowly. Eventually at least one planet around every sun breeds life. Probably more.

We don't even know our own solar system yet

that are we to frogs?

I won't even argue with people who think we are the only life in the universe. Even though there's no proof yet it seems mathematically impossible we are alone.

So I don't even wonder if we are alone. I wonder how common, how close? How intelligent?

Like out of 1000 planets with life is it 1 in 1000 that have intelligent life? One in a million? Every other?

A dolphins brain has been evolving for millions of years longer than ours. I bet more planets have dinosaurs that weren't accidentally wiped out, giving way for us to relax and invent.

If there were still dinosaurs we would still exist but we'd still be in the Stone age.

This budding Mathematician cannot possibly believe we are alone either. From sheer mathematics to empirical evidence to every ancient religion still practiced today, life outside of Earth is not only a high possibility/probability, but most likely; and, it explains so many things that the average person doesn't even think to consider.

If there were still dinosaurs, we might even be their slaves with how many hundreds of millions of years extra they would have had for development.

I've never subscribed to the concept of evolution through survival of the fittest. Most adaptable and intelligent, yeah. Meatheads do meathead things. They don't adapt.

The American poet Edward Rowland Sill (1841-1887) seemed to think so.

from "The Hermitage" by Edward Rowland Sill:

However small the present creature man, —
Ridiculous imitation of the gods,
Weak plagiarism on some completer world, —
Yet we can boast of that strong race to be.
The savage broke the attraction which binds fast
The fibres of the oak, and we to-day
By cunning chemistry can force apart
The elements of the air. That coming race
Shall loose the bands by which the earth attracts;
A drop of occult tincture, a spring touched
Shall outwit gravitation; men shall float,
Or lift the hills and set them down where they will.
The savage crossed the lake, and we the sea.
That coming race shall have no bounds or bars,
But, like the fledgeling eaglet, leave the nest, —
Our earthly eyrie up among the stars, —
And freely soar, to tread the desolate moon,
Or mingle with the neighbor folk of Mars.
Yea, if the savage learned by sign and sound
To bridge the chasm to his fellow's brain,
Till now we flash our whispers round the globe,
That race shall signal over the abyss
To those bright souls who throng the outer courts
Of life, impatient who shall greet men first
And solve the riddles that we die to know.

"The Hermitage," written in 1866, was first published in The
Hermitage and Other Poems in 1868. The first landing of men on
the Moon was in 1969. Did the quoted passage have an influence on
naming the first lunar module? "The Eagle has landed!" It seems
remarkable that the phrase "to tread the desolate moon" was
written 103 years before it became a reality.

theeaglehaslanded.jpg

Apollo 11 lunar module "Eagle"

that are we to frogs?
Did you see the movie Life? They got a sample of a microb off Mars. They warmed it up and suddenly they discovered this life that was all muscle and brain all at the same time. Could easily kill us and it was smarter than us. It tries to fly the international space station into Earth's orbit. It can survive re entry and If it gets on earth it would kill all humans, multiply and take over.

Sure. It would explain why they haven't contacted us.

"Yeah, we'll be back when you get your shit together".
Or maybe they visited ten thousand years ago. We were too uncivilized so they left.

Or they visited 300,000 years ago. What did they think about us then?

This movie Life seems totally plausable to me. Now I wouldn't bring back to earth any life form. It may have the ability to destroy us and take over our planet with us surviving only for them to prey on us.

that are we to frogs?

This budding Mathematician cannot possibly believe we are alone either. From sheer mathematics to empirical evidence to every ancient religion still practiced today, life outside of Earth is not only a high possibility/probability, but most likely; and, it explains so many things that the average person doesn't even think to consider.

If there were still dinosaurs, we might even be their slaves with how many hundreds of millions of years extra they would have had for development.

I've never subscribed to the concept of evolution through survival of the fittest. Most adaptable and intelligent, yeah. Meatheads do meathead things. They don't adapt.
Survival of the fittest, as stated by Darwin, never meant the survival of the nastiest and meanest. It always meant survival of those organisms most adapted to the environment. That is why Darwin spoke against Social Darwinism his whole life.

There has to be intelligent life out there somewhere as there isn't much on this planet.

Doesn't take much to be smarter then people like this Sherlock who made this car plate error:
red.jpeg

Carl Sagan described a possible scenario - imagine a swimming pool on a hot summer day. There are kids laughing, splashing, playing.

Next to the pool is a chain link fence and a sidewalk and an ant nest.

Are the ants aware of the swimming pool?

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

that are we to frogs?

Survival of the fittest, as stated by Darwin, never meant the survival of the nastiest and meanest. It always meant survival of those organisms most adapted to the environment. That is why Darwin spoke against Social Darwinism his whole life.

Actually, Darwin never said that and it has no meaning at all. It's a tautology.

A problem with evolution is that it's slow. So, maybe nasty and mean has a use too.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Forum List

Back