Are republicans hopelessly stuck in the 80's because of their undying love of Reagan?

The GOP MUST point to Reagan and exaggerate his effectiveness out of political necessity.

The reason is because he's the only Republican president that has left office on a positive note since Eisenhower.

Nixon: resigned in disgrace
Ford: short presidency of little note, obscured by Watergate fallout.
Bush 1: one term and a soft landing recession at the end.
Bush 2: economic crisis.

Without Reagan's inflated worship, the GOP has to go back to over 50 years to find a successful ending to an administration.

Reagan did some things right.

All that increased deficit spending on defense, which was his version of a stimulus.
Being in the right spot for a resurgence of American nationalism ala' post 60's revolution.
Claiming credit for the inevitable collapse of the Soviet Union.

But so many, many more things wrong. 25,000 Americans died before St. Ronnie even said the word "AIDS". It's ironic that the party that worships him are going over the top freakout over one guy that died of Ebola.

Unless you were alive then, you have nothing to talk about.

It was great living in an area outside of San Fan where people were worried that mosquitos could give you aids.
I don't know how far outside of San Fran you live. I'm about 90 miles away myself, and I remember that well, only it wasn't Bay Area folks buying the hysteria and misinformation about AIDs...it was idiots like Robertson, Swaggert, and Falwell that hinted at AIDs being part of an indictment of gays by God.

The GOP MUST point to Reagan and exaggerate his effectiveness out of political necessity.

The reason is because he's the only Republican president that has left office on a positive note since Eisenhower.

Without Reagan's inflated worship, the GOP has to go back to over 50 years to find a successful ending to an administration.

All that increased deficit spending on defense, which was his version of a stimulus.
Being in the right spot for a resurgence of American nationalism ala' post 60's revolution.

But so many, many more things wrong. 25,000 Americans died before St. Ronnie even said the word "AIDS". It's ironic that the party that worships him are going over the top freakout over one guy that died of Ebola.

It was great living in an area outside of San Fan where people were worried that mosquitos could give you aids.

Yes, I was a live then. And I'm well aware of how many Americans died before St. Ronnie would even say the word.

The collapse of the Soviet Union was due to the farming system not efficiently producing enough food, and their mishandling of oil resources. Both of which started before Reagan was done being governor of California.

Also...you've bought the GOP rebranding effort, hook, line, and sinker. When the Bush administration ended in disaster. Rove and Co. hijacked Ron Paul's anti TARP movement to give Republicans a place to hide, till they could saddle Obama with the blame for everything. Bush was not a liberal, he is a Republican you most likely voted for.
The USSR, like North Korea, spent a disproportionate amount of capital on weapons. Because that's what we were doing after Peanuthead got the heave ho.

You seem to be too stupid to understand the the word Republican does not mean conservative. There are liberal Republicans, too many in fact. Bush was hardly a fiscal conservative and the Democrats, unfortunately, held congress his last two years. Reagan had a similar problem but was much more a conservative. And that's why he had success. Your clumsy efforts to rewrite history won't work, facts are stubborn things.

I don't know how far outside of San Fran you live. I'm about 90 miles away myself, and I remember that well, only it wasn't Bay Area folks buying the hysteria and misinformation about AIDs...it was idiots like Robertson, Swaggert, and Falwell that hinted at AIDs being part of an indictment of gays by God.

Yes, they were.

The whole country was struggling with what was real and what was not.

Yes, I was a live then. And I'm well aware of how many Americans died before St. Ronnie would even say the word.

And they died because he wouldn't say the word or because they couldn't stay off of the needle or each other ?

Republicans pretend that the Iran-Contra never happened.

They pretend that Reagan didn't support gun control.

They pretend that Reagan caused the collapse of the Soviet Union with a speech.

They pretend that Reagan didn't preside over 8 government shutdowns.

They pretend that Reagan didn't extend the national debt.

I could go on about the things they would demand Obama's impeachment over....

Don't pretend at all......

You assertions are bull.

Everything I stated is a fact. Name one that is bull, and explain how.

Can you read ?

The assertion part is the your claim that republicans pretend these things. I am well aware of Reagan's position on gun control. I also know he increased the debt.

Not pretending at all......

But, now that you mention it.....

Please show where the GOP thinks (as a group) that a speech (and not our military build up) brought down the Soviet Union.

And they died because he wouldn't say the word or because they couldn't stay off of the needle or each other ?

Ignoring it completely didn't help any now did it? Ignoring it and hoping it would just go away worked out really well...or was he silent because the "right" people were dying from it? We may never know.

I like how the militant resident hagfag has to turn yet another thread into her life's calling. With lies and distortions, as usual.

Ronald Reagan and AIDS Correcting the Record RealClearPolitics
For the record, Reagan first mentioned AIDS, in response to a question at a press conference, on Sept. 17, 1985. On Feb. 5, 1986, he made a surprise visit to the Department of Health and Human Services where he said, “One of our highest public health priorities is going to be continuing to find a cure for AIDS.” He also announced that he’d tasked Surgeon General C. Everett Koop to prepare a major report on the disease. Contrary to the prevailing wisdom, Reagan dragged Koop into AIDS policy, not the other way around.

I like how the militant resident hagfag has to turn yet another thread into her life's calling. With lies and distortions, as usual.

Ronald Reagan and AIDS Correcting the Record RealClearPolitics
For the record, Reagan first mentioned AIDS, in response to a question at a press conference, on Sept. 17, 1985. On Feb. 5, 1986, he made a surprise visit to the Department of Health and Human Services where he said, “One of our highest public health priorities is going to be continuing to find a cure for AIDS.” He also announced that he’d tasked Surgeon General C. Everett Koop to prepare a major report on the disease. Contrary to the prevailing wisdom, Reagan dragged Koop into AIDS policy, not the other way around.

AIDS first starting killing people in 1981.

Yes, the only people following a political messiah are republicans, continually hoping for the second coming in this sorry lot of dolts they follow these days.
There are a lot following obama as a messiah now so that's wrong. I'm not registered as a Republican but history has been kind to Ronald, a far cry from the vitriol and hate from the time period. The libs did their best to destroy him and it didn't work. Tough shit.

The liberal counterpart in the White House is a smarmy, condescending asshole. The polar opposite of who Reagan was. History will not be kind to obama, his administration sucks and the fluffing won't stand the test of time.

The Whitewashing of Ronald Reagan

A Gallup poll taken in 1992 found that Ronald Reagan was the most unpopular living president apart from Nixon, and ranked even below Jimmy Carter; just 46 percent of Americans had a favorable view of Reagan while Carter was viewed favorably by 63 percent of Americans.

This was before the Hollywood-style re-write of Reagan’s presidency that created the fictional character portrayed during Reagan’s 100th birthday celebration.

Vox Verax The Whitewashing of Ronald Reagan

How Republicans created the myth of Ronald Reagan

With the Gipper's reputation flagging after Clinton, neoconservatives launched a stealthy campaign to remake him as a "great" president.

How Republicans created the myth of Ronald Reagan - Salon.com

Republicans pretend that the Iran-Contra never happened.

They pretend that Reagan didn't support gun control.

They pretend that Reagan caused the collapse of the Soviet Union with a speech.

They pretend that Reagan didn't preside over 8 government shutdowns.

They pretend that Reagan didn't extend the national debt.

I could go on about the things they would demand Obama's impeachment over....

Don't pretend at all......

You assertions are bull.

Everything I stated is a fact. Name one that is bull, and explain how.

Can you read ?

The assertion part is the your claim that republicans pretend these things. I am well aware of Reagan's position on gun control. I also know he increased the debt.

Not pretending at all......

But, now that you mention it.....

Please show where the GOP thinks (as a group) that a speech (and not our military build up) brought down the Soviet Union.

Weird, I thought it was 4 decades of containment by US President's and communism that self destructed?

It wasn't understood by the medical community then. Your side calls Reagan the right wing messiah, we don't see him that way, he didn't have those powers. His friend Rock Hudson kept quiet about it, that was common in the day. Quit blaming Reagan, read the article with an open mind, if possible.

The collapse of the Soviet Union was due to the farming system not efficiently producing enough food, and their mishandling of oil resources. Both of which started before Reagan was done being governor of California.

Also...you've bought the GOP rebranding effort, hook, line, and sinker. When the Bush administration ended in disaster. Rove and Co. hijacked Ron Paul's anti TARP movement to give Republicans a place to hide, till they could saddle Obama with the blame for everything. Bush was not a liberal, he is a Republican you most likely voted for.
The USSR, like North Korea, spent a disproportionate amount of capital on weapons. Because that's what we were doing after Peanuthead got the heave ho.

You seem to be too stupid to understand the the word Republican does not mean conservative. There are liberal Republicans, too many in fact. Bush was hardly a fiscal conservative and the Democrats, unfortunately, held congress his last two years. Reagan had a similar problem but was much more a conservative. And that's why he had success. Your clumsy efforts to rewrite history won't work, facts are stubborn things.

ONE bill the Dems passed the last 2 years of Dubya that changed his policies? Oops

Ronnie was 'much more conservative'? Must have been the 11 new revenues increases he supported or lying to Congress about Iran/Contra? Maybe signing the most liberal abortion law in the nation as Guv of Cali? Or supporting gun control?

With the Gipper's reputation flagging after Clinton, neoconservatives launched a stealthy campaign to remake him as a "great" president.

Ronald Reagan
Because of the non stop sick efforts of the hate filled left his approval was down. remember it well. obama gets fluffed up instead and his numbers are no better. To people with brains that says something but the point is that Reagan has risen in popularity once the smears wore off. Sorry.

It wasn't understood by the medical community then. Your side calls Reagan the right wing messiah, we don't see him that way, he didn't have those powers. His friend Rock Hudson kept quiet about it, that was common in the day. Quit blaming Reagan, read the article with an open mind, if possible.

Yeah, not mentioning it for nearly six years as thousands died? Bennnngaaazzzzi had 4 US citizens die. Ebola has had none. GOPers *shaking head*

Yes, it was pretty well understood by the medical community as an EPIDEMIC that Ronnie ignored !

The Reagan legacy for republicans is one of conservative perfection and they don't even care that it's a fabrication. The guy skillfully invoked god and patriotism, it was his only talent, and went on spending sprees and tax hikes Obama could only dream of.
^ that
Well, you have to remember how desperate Republicans are to find a President they can be proud of.

That just leaves them with Reagan, who if you ignore the fact he gave Amnesty to 3 million illegals, tripled the national debt, wasted billions on weapon systems that didn't work or we didn't need, appointed moderates to the courts, and sold weapons to terrorists, really didn't have everything turn into a shit sandwich on his watch.
^ and that
Reagan and Coolidge were the 20th Century's 2 greatest Presidents
:rofl:

Ronald Reagan
Because of the non stop sick efforts of the hate filled left his approval was down. remember it well. obama gets fluffed up instead and his numbers are no better. To people with brains that says something but the point is that Reagan has risen in popularity once the smears wore off. Sorry.

Yeah, NOT this

The presidency of Ronald Reagan in the United States was marked by multiple scandals, resulting in the investigation, indictment, or conviction of over 138 administration officials, the largest number for any US president

Reagan administration scandals - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

The myth of Ronald Reagan was already looming in the spring of 1997 — when a highly popular President Bill Clinton was launching his second-term, pre-Monica Lewinsky, and the Republican brand seemed at low ebb. But what neoconservative activist Grover Norquist and his allies proposed that spring was virtually unheard of — an active, mapped-out, audacious campaign to spread a distorted vision of Reagan’s legacy across America.

In a sense, some of the credit for triggering this may belong to those supposedly liberal editors at the New York Times, and their decision at the end of 1996 to publish that Arthur Schlesinger Jr. survey of the presidents. The below-average rating by the historians for Reagan, coming right on the heels of Clintons’ easy reelection victory, was a wake-up call for these people who came to Washington in the 1980s as the shock troops of a revolution and now saw everything slipping away

Forum List

Back