Are Muslims Allowed to Kill Themselves

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Apparently even when Muslims kill themselves the US is to blame :salute:

Only if they have a really good reason.
By Daniel Engber

No. There's a clear prohibition on suicide in the collected sayings of the Prophet, known as the hadith. In particular, anyone who kills himself must spend an eternity repeating the act in the afterlife: "He who commits suicide by throttling shall keep on throttling himself in the Hell Fire (forever) and he who commits suicide by stabbing himself shall keep on stabbing himself in the Hell Fire."

You won't find as clear a statement in the Quran. This passage provides the closest thing to a ban: "Do not consume your wealth in the wrong way—rather through trade mutually agreed to, and do not kill yourselves." But the word for "yourselves" could just as well be translated as "each other"—which would make this a ban on homicide, not suicide.

Muslim scholars throughout history have noted this ambiguity but have tended to support the prohibition nonetheless. Eight hundred years ago, Fakhr ad-Din ar-Razi acknowledged that the passage could be interpreted either way but argued that it's better to assume that it's about suicide.

The long-standing prohibition—which had become entrenched by the ninth century—may have something to do with the low suicide rates in Muslim countries. On the other hand, not all suicides get reported as such. In some cases a family will deny that a suicide has occurred, or they'll keep the cause of death to themselves. Entire communities sometimes join in the denial. (See, for example, the case of the Egyptian airline pilot who is said to have killed himself and everyone on his plane in 2002.)

What about suicide bombers? There's no general agreement about how to distinguish between suicide (intihâr) and martyrdom (istisyhâd). Some argue that you're not committing a sin if you're trying to kill the enemies of God. It's only suicide if you're taking your life for your own benefit.

http://www.slate.com/id/2143505/

Bonnie said:
Apparently even when Muslims kill themselves the US is to blame :salute:

Only if they have a really good reason.
By Daniel Engber

http://www.slate.com/id/2143505/

In all honesty, I think it is nothing but BS that Muslims consider committing suicide martyrdom because it suits their terrorist agenda.

I personally find blowing up noncombatant men, women and children to be cowardly and repugnant.

Wanna' be a REAL warrior? Draw your sword and meet me on the battlefield where REAL warriors and not cowardly wannabes wage war.

When reading the title, all I could think of is, "I hope so..." IF not, let them do themselves in for any excuse they can come up with.

Kathianne said:
When reading the title, all I could think of is, "I hope so..." IF not, let them do themselves in for any excuse they can come up with.

I have this little montage in my head in which they all go to a field and blow themselves up:ali:
Problem solved:teeth:

I have actually read some of the twisted logic in the Fatwahs that attempt to make it okay to kill yourself, or even to attack innocents directly against commands of the Prophet...

Truly amazing mental acrobatic maneuvers!

Forum List

Back