Anyone Here Ever Have Skin Cancer?

Way back in the late 60s I was assigned to an Army medical research laboratory. The colonel commanding was a world-renowned dermatologist who told me that, in the future, I would find myself with multiple cases of skin cancer.

He proved right.

The first signs were tough, scaly spots on my face, neck, arms and hands. In more than 10 years, I've had basal and squamous cell cancers in all of those areas.

Some were removed using liquid nitrogen. Stings like hell and raises big blisters. Soon goes away.

Surgery is truly no big deal. They apply local anesthetics that completely numb the area so you don't feel a thing. Hopefully they'll cauterize it with a little electric thingie and then sew it up. Inner sutures will dissolve and the outer ones removed in about a week.

Most of these surgeons are so good it's almost impossible to see the scars.

The main point it to keep a close eye on your skin where it's been exposed to the sun. So, you MUST pay attention! You or your spouse need to check it frequently and, if you see something like the following, show it to your doctor:

AKCheeksmall.jpg

He will either freeze it or do a quick skin scrape so he can see if it's cancerous. If you have a lot of them, he can use a cream like Efudex. It gives your skin a severe sunburn that kills the darned things.

The number one killer skin cancer is melanoma. Look for things like this:

th

If you've got a mole that changes color or you see something like this - RUN, DON'T WALK to your doctor to get it removed!

In summary - as one who's had so many skin cancers removed that I can't even being to count them - Don't worry. Don't fret. It ain't no big deal!

:salute::salute::salute:
The side of my face looks a bit worse than that.....only I'm not an old fart.

And I have spent years in the Sun, in Africa, the Middle-East, and at sea where the Sun usually has no clouds filter anything out. Now I spend close to 8 hours a day working on rooftops and outside. I have 3 more years to retirement, so I'm exploring my options, whether it's getting an inside job or just covering myself until I can pop smoke. I even looked into applying for disability to see what was possible. Don't want to go that route unless I have to.

Sorry to hear this. I dont know much about skin cancer...just that melanoma tends to be far worse than basal cell.
My cousin had a spot removed that turned out to be melanoma. It was something an untrained eye wouldnt suspect...a friend of hers ( who is a nurse) suggested she get it checked out. good thing she did.
shes been fine for years, gets regularly checked and wears sun screen now.

Way back in the late 60s I was assigned to an Army medical research laboratory. The colonel commanding was a world-renowned dermatologist who told me that, in the future, I would find myself with multiple cases of skin cancer.

He proved right.

The first signs were tough, scaly spots on my face, neck, arms and hands. In more than 10 years, I've had basal and squamous cell cancers in all of those areas.

Some were removed using liquid nitrogen. Stings like hell and raises big blisters. Soon goes away.

Surgery is truly no big deal. They apply local anesthetics that completely numb the area so you don't feel a thing. Hopefully they'll cauterize it with a little electric thingie and then sew it up. Inner sutures will dissolve and the outer ones removed in about a week.

Most of these surgeons are so good it's almost impossible to see the scars.

The main point it to keep a close eye on your skin where it's been exposed to the sun. So, you MUST pay attention! You or your spouse need to check it frequently and, if you see something like the following, show it to your doctor:

AKCheeksmall.jpg

He will either freeze it or do a quick skin scrape so he can see if it's cancerous. If you have a lot of them, he can use a cream like Efudex. It gives your skin a severe sunburn that kills the darned things.

The number one killer skin cancer is melanoma. Look for things like this:

th

If you've got a mole that changes color or you see something like this - RUN, DON'T WALK to your doctor to get it removed!

In summary - as one who's had so many skin cancers removed that I can't even being to count them - Don't worry. Don't fret. It ain't no big deal!

:salute::salute::salute:
The side of my face looks a bit worse than that.....only I'm not an old fart.

And I have spent years in the Sun, in Africa, the Middle-East, and at sea where the Sun usually has no clouds filter anything out. Now I spend close to 8 hours a day working on rooftops and outside. I have 3 more years to retirement, so I'm exploring my options, whether it's getting an inside job or just covering myself until I can pop smoke. I even looked into applying for disability to see what was possible. Don't want to go that route unless I have to.

The worst part of the whole thing is when they first inject the pain killed. Stings like hell.

Don't ever go outside without applying a sun screen. And 30 works just fine Anything more is a waste.

Mudwhistle you may want to look on youtube. One guy had melanoma [sic] all over his bald head and treated it with Iodine7 if I recall correctly. He had before and after photos he put up about the experience.
My case is Basal Cell Carcinoma.

Had one my ear.

They cut it off. No issues since.

Certainly a better prognosis than melanoma.

Best of luck.

A coworker had a melanoma on his face. They had to cut pretty deep. At first his face was somewhat disfigured. But over time (no additional work), things seemed to "smooth out". He's pretty much back to normal.
Mine isn't melanoma.....which I believe is deeper. Mine is pretty much on the surface.....but it's pretty wide-spread. Spots are showing up on my forehead and on both sides of my face and neck. It's a wonder I waited this long.

When the doctor was doing it, I was talking to him about the advances in local anesthetics. I could not feel a thing and the shots didn't hurt at all.

Get it taken care of ASAP.

I got the bad news last week.

Just wanted some advice before they cut on my face.
How long before they do the surgery? I found something at EarthClinic that might work for you. You might have to try it for 30 days though. It's applying peroxide and then apple cider vinegar alternately. Many are swearing by this remedy and it's worth a try.

Natural Remedies for Basal Cell Carcinoma

Multi-use cancer drug patented...

Scientists patent drug for breast, colon, skin cancers
Oct. 20, 2015 - The drug decreased tumor activity by 50 percent after 41 days of treatment in lab tests with mice.
Researchers at the University of Granada have patented a drug for treating cancer stem cells, after it was effective against breast, colon and skin cancers. Chemotherapy and radiotherapy target cancer cells, however they do not kill cancer stem cells, which contribute to the growth and survival of tumors. With conventional cancer treatment, differentiated cancer cells may be killed but dormant cancer stem cells can remain behind and often cause relapse. The new drug, called bozepinib, was shown in a study with mice in 2014 to stop tumor growth and prevent metastasis in the three cancer types. New research is being done on the drug's efficacy with lung and pancreatic cancers.

Scientists-patent-drug-for-breast-colon-skin-cancers.jpg

A researcher at the University of Granada checks progress on a tumor implanted in a mouse during testing of a new cancer drug.​

The key to the patent was shortening the time to synthesize and produce large amounts of the drug, however by changing its molecular architecture researchers said in a press release it can now be "synthesized and produced on a grand scale, a fundamental condition for the drug's commercial development." "The powerful anti-tumour activity of Bozepinib is due to the inhibition of the HER2 signalling pathway, and to the fact that this drug inhibits the invasiveness and the formation of new vessels in the tumour," said Dr. Juan Antonio Marchal, a professor at the University of Granada, in a press release last year.

In the study, published in Oncotarget in 2014, researchers transplanted tumors to mice. After treating the rodents twice a week for 41 days, researchers reported a 50 percent decrease in tumor activity. Although the mice were treated with a high level of the drug, healthy cells showed no adverse effects. Researchers believe targeting cancer stem cells is a important because those cells are the original cause of the tumor, as well as the cause of relapses and resistance to treatment. In addition to conducting ADME-Tox, or absorption, distribution, metabolism, excretion and toxicity, studies on the drug, they are beginning to study the effects of bozepinib on lung and pancreatic cancers.

Scientists patent drug for breast, colon, skin cancers

Never had it. Unlike most I understand solar radiatioln exposure is bad and cumulative. Consequently, I avoid UV max times of day and only swim each Summer once the sun's low on the horizon and the UV is at a safe or non-existent level. Generally by 5pm UV is safe enough for suscreen-equipped exposure, and if you can't directly see the solar disk safe even without sunscreen.

I swear, people who tan deliberately have me wanting to scream at them.

Skin cancer starts in the cells of the skin. It is the uncontrolled growth of abnormal skin cells. This cancer usually develops on the top layer of skin, also known as the epidermis.

The Facts About Sunscreen

Wear a hat, stay covered as much as possible, use spf 30. And you have my prayers, muddy.

I found a spot on my elbow. Been using neosporin on it and its going away, but if it doesn't disappear on its own in a week or so...gonna try the ACV recommendation that sarah's link provided.

Also, ACV is great on the scalp too. Just dilute it, then use it as a rinse on your hair and body (All over your body. Will sting on sore spots but not bad enough to be in major pain and it is brief. Just don't get it in your eyes. THAT stings!). You will smell like salad dressing until it dries, then there will be no more odor of the ACV. I have been using it for my dandruff. Works like a charm.

I had a precancerous mole on my scalp
Just a fluke they found it, I needed a few stitches and the Doc saw it. I always wear a hat in the sun now

melanoma when caught early isn't a real big deal

i hate to tell ya this ..melanoma is always a big deal

For very early-stage melanoma that is only located near where it started, 5-year survival is over 98%. Survival for melanoma that has spread to the nearby lymph nodes is 63%. If melanoma has spread to other parts of the body, survival is 17%. However, survival varies depending on a number of factors.

early stage will only be caught with full body checks on a regular basis

Skin cancer starts in the cells of the skin. It is the uncontrolled growth of abnormal skin cells. This cancer usually develops on the top layer of skin, also known as the epidermis.

Solar Keritosis is the medical name for it. You will find dry, scaly spots on your skin, often itching or even slightly painful. You must visit a doctor as these are the first signs of cancer.

The Facts About Sunscreen

Wear a hat, stay covered as much as possible, use spf 30. And you have my prayers, muddy.

I found a spot on my elbow. Been using neosporin on it and its going away, but if it doesn't disappear on its own in a week or so...gonna try the ACV recommendation that sarah's link provided.

Also, ACV is great on the scalp too. Just dilute it, then use it as a rinse on your hair and body (All over your body. Will sting on sore spots but not bad enough to be in major pain and it is brief. Just don't get it in your eyes. THAT stings!). You will smell like salad dressing until it dries, then there will be no more odor of the ACV. I have been using it for my dandruff. Works like a charm.

Home made or OTC remedies are unwise. There a prescription creams that will deal with pre-cancer spots but they tend to be lengthy and even uncomfortable. See a doctor and have them frozen to ensure they don't develop into cancer.

Remember, there are THREE types of skin cancer. Basal Cell, Squamish, and Melanoma. All are treatable with 100% efficiency if caught in the early stages.

I've personally never had it, but while my father was in the nursing home prior to passing away, he developed several small cancerous growths on the skin of his face that had to be removed. I understand it's fairly common in nursing homes, such that they had a regular dermatologist attached to their medical staff to deal with it. The removal was never particularly difficult or arduous, and once they were gone, you really couldn't tell they'd ever been there if you didn't already know.

Is that what you wanted to know?

Forum List

Back