Anyone Here Ever Have Skin Cancer?

Mudwhistle you may want to look on youtube. One guy had melanoma [sic] all over his bald head and treated it with Iodine7 if I recall correctly. He had before and after photos he put up about the experience.
My case is Basal Cell Carcinoma.

Had one my ear.

They cut it off. No issues since.

Certainly a better prognosis than melanoma.

Best of luck.

A coworker had a melanoma on his face. They had to cut pretty deep. At first his face was somewhat disfigured. But over time (no additional work), things seemed to "smooth out". He's pretty much back to normal.

Likely, they used the Moze Procedure like on me. It's pretty radical and concerning at first but also with me, you can't even tell now.

Mudwhistle you may want to look on youtube. One guy had melanoma [sic] all over his bald head and treated it with Iodine7 if I recall correctly. He had before and after photos he put up about the experience.

Had one my ear.

Best of luck.

A coworker had a melanoma on his face. They had to cut pretty deep. At first his face was somewhat disfigured. But over time (no additional work), things seemed to "smooth out". He's pretty much back to normal.
Mine isn't melanoma.....which I believe is deeper. Mine is pretty much on the surface.....but it's pretty wide-spread. Spots are showing up on my forehead and on both sides of my face and neck. It's a wonder I waited this long.

What has the doctor said? Is it something they can freeze or scrape? My wife had something like that fixed with a chemical peel.

Had one my ear.

Best of luck.

Mine isn't melanoma.....which I believe is deeper. Mine is pretty much on the surface.....but it's pretty wide-spread. Spots are showing up on my forehead and on both sides of my face and neck. It's a wonder I waited this long.

What has the doctor said? Is it something they can freeze or scrape? My wife had something like that fixed with a chemical peel.
Doctor said there was too much to freeze.....and they took a biopsy to see if it was cancerous....and it tested positive.

I spend at least 8 hours a day outside during the week. I go around with sunscreen on to control it and lately I've been wearing a Kafia....or traditional Arab headdress to shade my head.

The Basal Cell Carcinoma is pretty common and you are right, it isn't cancer. I look things up on the computer all the time and my doc encourages it. He said when you find the same info several times, that's probably correct. If you have diabetes, that may be the cause. Diabetes causes a lot of side issues.

Good luck, Muddie. Do everything your doc tells you to do.

Had one my ear.

Best of luck.

Right now I'm doing chemotherapy.....and next month they're going to remove the cancerous portion.

The Basal Cell Carcinoma is pretty common and you are right, it isn't cancer. I look things up on the computer all the time and my doc encourages it. He said when you find the same info several times, that's probably correct. If you have diabetes, that may be the cause. Diabetes causes a lot of side issues.

Good luck, Muddie. Do everything your doc tells you to do.
not diabetes......it's cancer. My blood sugar is normal.

My Sister had a few Basal Cell spots removed from her face and chest about 15 years ago. She was a big, So Cal Sun worshiper.

She's doing just fine now with no reoccurance. She never did Chemo or Radiation.

I have Malignant Melanoma and I got the tumor removed but passed on the Chemo and Radiation too.

Good luck!

.[/QUOTE]

I spend at least 8 hours a day outside during the week. I go around with sunscreen on to control it and lately I've been wearing a Kafia....or traditional Arab headdress to shade my head.[/QUOTE]
The sunscreen probably caused the cancer.

I spend at least 8 hours a day outside during the week. I go around with sunscreen on to control it and lately I've been wearing a Kafia....or traditional Arab headdress to shade my head.[/QUOTE]
The sunscreen probably caused the cancer.[/QUOTE]
Along with the Sun and genetics.

I got the bad news last week.

Just wanted some advice before they cut on my face.

Good luck, friendo. I have a couple of friends who have had it, and their treatments were successful. I hope yours is too.

Had one my ear.

Best of luck.

My understanding is that it's common and the prognosis is good...it isn't a terminal cancer it's just a pain in the ass. Use the highest spf sunscreen you can find when you're outside, apply liberally and often.

Way back in the late 60s I was assigned to an Army medical research laboratory. The colonel commanding was a world-renowned dermatologist who told me that, in the future, I would find myself with multiple cases of skin cancer.

He proved right.

The first signs were tough, scaly spots on my face, neck, arms and hands. In more than 10 years, I've had basal and squamous cell cancers in all of those areas.

Some were removed using liquid nitrogen. Stings like hell and raises big blisters. Soon goes away.

Surgery is truly no big deal. They apply local anesthetics that completely numb the area so you don't feel a thing. Hopefully they'll cauterize it with a little electric thingie and then sew it up. Inner sutures will dissolve and the outer ones removed in about a week.

Most of these surgeons are so good it's almost impossible to see the scars.

The main point it to keep a close eye on your skin where it's been exposed to the sun. So, you MUST pay attention! You or your spouse need to check it frequently and, if you see something like the following, show it to your doctor:

AKCheeksmall.jpg

He will either freeze it or do a quick skin scrape so he can see if it's cancerous. If you have a lot of them, he can use a cream like Efudex. It gives your skin a severe sunburn that kills the darned things.

The number one killer skin cancer is melanoma. Look for things like this:

th

If you've got a mole that changes color or you see something like this - RUN, DON'T WALK to your doctor to get it removed!

In summary - as one who's had so many skin cancers removed that I can't even being to count them - Don't worry. Don't fret. It ain't no big deal!

:salute::salute::salute:

Forum List

Back