Anyone Ever Had Dry Land Fish Mushrooms?

Lewdog

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2016
Williamsburg, KY
People all over my area are selling them for pretty expensive amounts, like $20 per pound... I'm just curious if anyone has ever had them before and if they are really THAT good that they are worth paying that much for them.

These are called morrels, I think.

Nope never had them.

I am cautious about mushrooms since they are one of the few things that can kill you if you eat the wrong ones.

Nope never had them.

I am cautious about mushrooms since they are one of the few things that can kill you if you eat the wrong ones.

People are selling them like crazy here in Kentucky. I've seen them for $20 per pound and even $50 a gallon. I read online that a great way to prepare them is to fry them in a corn meal mixture like catfish.

I've had dry land, I've had fish, and I've had mushrooms. Not all at the same time. Usually.

Nope never had them.

Or stoned out of your mind especially around Eastern Kentucky and Tennessee.

17917988_1474605969238630_1802501603517917511_o.jpg

I fried some of those for my wife and she could only eat two. Made her stomach really upset. She picked them behind the house. They are everywhere

I've not had morrels or chantrells. Both are very popular though. If you're curious enough, buy 1/2 or 1/4 lb and try them. If you do like them, get more. If not then you've only spent $5 or $10 to find out.

I agree about picking your own mushrooms....there are too many different varieties & if you don't know what you're doing.....it could cost you your life. I stick with store bought white/button mushrooms and portabellas. They are wonderful stuffed. YUM

I've not had morrels or chantrells. Both are very popular though. If you're curious enough, buy 1/2 or 1/4 lb and try them. If you do like them, get more. If not then you've only spent $5 or $10 to find out.

I agree about picking your own mushrooms....there are too many different varieties & if you don't know what you're doing.....it could cost you your life. I stick with store bought white/button mushrooms and portabellas. They are wonderful stuffed. YUM

That's the nice thing about morels. There's only the morel and the false morel that look like that, and it's really easy to tell them apart.

The white mushrooms at the store and the dark topped portabellas are the only fresh mushrooms that I will buy.

I only have one liver and I don't want to poison it.

Mushrooms taste really good in spaghetti sauce. That's what I mainly use them for. They also taste good on pizza. And they are good in/for gravy.

Fungi have no food value only flavor value. So it makes no sense eating them plain unless you are trying to lose weight. In that sense they are a good leathery diet food. Also expensive though.

For survival tactics we teach people to stay away from fungi.

There is no food value.

There is only the risk of death.

Forum List

Back