Jam, jelly or preserves?

Jam, jelly or preserves?

• Total voters
Not to be a total dick but "preserves" actually include jams and jellies as well as chutney, marmalade, fruit butter, etc. It's really a "regional" thing as to how people use the term but basically, what you're thinking of as preserves are probably jams.

My parents and grandmother used to make pear preserves every year. I could just sit and eat a jar plain by themselves, they were SO good!

I dont know. But my great grandfather used to put butter and orange marmalade on a toasted english muffin and it was magical.

Not to be a total dick but "preserves" actually include jams and jellies as well as chutney, marmalade, fruit butter, etc. It's really a "regional" thing as to how people use the term but basically, what you're thinking of as preserves are probably jams.

My parents and grandmother used to make pear preserves every year. I could just sit and eat a jar plain by themselves, they were SO good!

Preserves are the kind with big pieces of fruit, while jam is a more smooth fruit spread.

Isn't preserves what you use for fruit pies, and jams on toast? Its all full of sugar, so as a child I liked Jam and as an adult I avoid things that have large amounts of sugar as best I can. Sugar is bad and HFCS is worst. Sorry for being such a turn off!

Preserves are the kind with big pieces of fruit, while jam is a more smooth fruit spread.

That's what I always thought as well until someone corrected me on it. Technically, the kind with big fruit pieces is called "conserves." The difference between marmalade and jam is that marmalade includes fruit peels.

It's an interesting thing. We brought this over from England and I think we kind of adapted our own understandings in the process. I had never heard of "conserves" before. But that's what we call "preserves" when "preserves" are actually all types and styles of preserved fruit (or vegetable) spreads.

That's what I always thought as well until someone corrected me on it. Technically, the kind with big fruit pieces is called "conserves." The difference between marmalade and jam is that marmalade includes fruit peels.

It's an interesting thing. We brought this over from England and I think we kind of adapted our own understandings in the process. I had never heard of "conserves" before. But that's what we call "preserves" when "preserves" are actually all types and styles of preserved fruit (or vegetable) spreads.

:rolleyes: Just pick one and stop being so anal about it.

LOL... I told you I didn't mean to be a total dick about it! :lmao:

I DID PICK! I picked PRESERVES!! ;)

What is this then?

Strawberry_Preserves.jpg

LOL... I told you I didn't mean to be a total dick about it! :lmao:

I DID PICK! I picked PRESERVES!! ;)

I wouldn't go as far as to say you are being a dick about it, just a picky pants. :D

Here is a picture of jam, jelly and preserves. I prefer jam because jelly is too much like jello, and jam is easier to spread and has a more intense flavor. I don't like the big pieces of fruit in preserves.

Oops, almost forgot the picture. :D

051114091-01-jelly-jam-preserves_xlg_xl.jpg

I wouldn't go as far as to say you are being a dick about it, just a picky pants. :D

Nah, I'm not picky. I was just being informative. I used to think the difference between jams and preserves was a northern/southern thing. People from the north tend to like jam while people in the south tend to prefer preserves. Like 'co-cola' and 'pop'.

Nah, I'm not picky. I was just being informative. I used to think the difference between jams and preserves was a northern/southern thing. People from the north tend to like jam while people in the south tend to prefer preserves. Like 'co-cola' and 'pop'.

That's interesting because I am from the north and I do prefer jam. I know people here who like preserves better though. I just don't like the big chunks in mine.

Here is a picture of jam, jelly and preserves. I prefer jam because jelly is too much like jello, and jam is easier to spread and has a more intense flavor. I don't like the big pieces of fruit in preserves.

Oops, almost forgot the picture. :D

051114091-01-jelly-jam-preserves_xlg_xl.jpg

Jelly... Jam... Conserves.

ALL 3 are Fruit Preserves!
:lol:

Forum List

Back