Anybody else on the Atkins diet?

I have been on a low carb regimen (to varying degrees of strictness) since the summer of 2000. It works but it never gets any easier.

I need to lose about 40 pounds to get back in shape. Just can’t keep up a calorie based diet or a rabbit food diet. Atkins Works for me.
How about you?
Speaking as a professional physical trainer/nutritionist, I recommend that you avoid restrictive fad diets. They are all total bullshit.

Unless you have some sort of medically diagnosed allergy or bad reaction to certain foods, you should avoid nutritionally restrictive diets.

Such diets cannot help you, but may cause malnutrition.

There is absolutely no benefit, but possible disadvantages, to following such a nutritionally restrictive diet. So common sense says, just don't do it.

Last edited:
Better or worse than Ozempic? :lol:

Seriously, I've had blood tests done and the bad cholesterol number actually went down when on low carb diet.
No diabetes bad numbers, either.
Many doctors have actually recommended Atkins. Can't be that bad.

I need to lose about 40 pounds to get back in shape. Just can’t keep up a calorie based diet or a rabbit food diet. Atkins Works for me.
How about you?
Do you wonder why Rob Lowe looks young and fit? He isn't just the Atkins spokesperson for nothing.

There are a lot of negative things to say about a low-carb diet. Fat diet, extreme, unsustainable, etc. All very valid criticism.

But… The biggest upside for me is that it worked. After struggling with weight into my 40s, I finally tried the Atkins diet and lost an average of 2 pounds a week going from, approaching 250 down to almost as low as 170.

I believe that carbs are like alcohol or cigarettes. One bite leads to another. Easier to cut them out altogether. I believe both guides utilize a one day per week carb day. Your idea is to keep your body from going into starvation mode and holding onto the fat so to speak. That seemed to work both physically and psychologically.

A similar low-carb is the four hour body diet. It’s not just a diet but many recommendations and suggestions for achieving results that you want. I like the approach in that book.

I started the 40 carb a day plan. You don't lose weight as fast, but it's easier to follow.
A successful diet is one you like the foods on.
Eggs, steak, bacon, broiled chicken, broccoli, cauliflower and more.
Not so bad. :lol:

You can't burn body fat until your body has useds up all its available glycogen.
It takes about 24-36+ hours to burn off all of your glycogen.
After that you can begin to burn your body fat at a significant rate.
Fasting is the best way to burn off body fat.

How about you?
Once I hit 15 1/2 stone. I went on two salads a day; no dressings, no protein, no fats, no carbs, and just drunk flavoured fizzy water. In a few months, I went down to 11st 11lbs. Some people experience waffy head, I didn't.

If I miss a meal, I lose a lb, if I eat extra on a meal, I put a lb on.

You could do red and green days. Never eat carbs and protein in the same day.

How about you?
This woman was on the Atkins diet.

1707311274417.png

How about you?
I have actually had better luck with calorie based diets that were high fiber diets. I tried Atkins before and hated Atkins. In the long run the high fiber calorie based diets seemed to work better for me for long term weight loss, but that's just what my body seemed to respond to best.

I have lost as much as 90 lbs before in a solid year of dieting. Another time I lost 75, Another time 50. Each time I just did a high fiber calorie diet combined with tons of cardio and weight training.

I am back on a diet now, I am calling this one my slow easy going diet. I am dieting much slower than on past diets and making the calorie cut much more gradual. So far the diet hasn't felt like a diet which makes staying on it so much easier. I have lost 20 lbs so far, my goal is to lose 100 lbs in 1.5 years.

I have tried high protein diets before like Atkins, but honestly a more traditional diet always seemed to work better for me. I felt for a long term diet that went on for many months to a year or longer the high protein diet just didn't seem to work out for me.

Forum List

Back