Any nerds into computer programming?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
One of my latest interests. Been doing some C+, java, SQL and others, all at a low level, but I enjoy self learning.

With my computer technology background in sales and continued interest over the years, it might make sense for a future career in some hybrid role. I just love to continuously learn, keep the brain sharp and active.

If any of you are also interested, share some thoughts please.

Thank you for your time.

I learned in Highschool hat its C++ to augment C programming, that's the "++" part. Then I had a college education in it too. Doh… //syntax error

One of my latest interests. Been doing some C+, java, SQL and others, all at a low level, but I enjoy self learning.

With my computer technology background in sales and continued interest over the years, it might make sense for a future career in some hybrid role. I just love to continuously learn, keep the brain sharp and active.

Thank you for your time.

I’ve been working for the last 10 months as an Account Manager for a software company here in Guelph, headquartered in Toronto. Did an 8-month co-op work term in Product Management before that as I was completing my Masters. Education is in no way related to tech. (hard sciences).

I’m learning SQL and Python on my own time- been going steady for the past 6 months. Like you, I prefer to keep my brain engaged and sharpened. Have to say though, I don’t see myself working in the technology field for much longer. While immensely stimulating, it fails to provide me with a sense of gratification in that I’m bettering the world.

Thank you for your time.

I’ve been working for the last 10 months as an Account Manager for a software company here in Guelph, headquartered in Toronto. Did an 8-month co-op work term in Product Management before that as I was completing my Masters. Education is in no way related to tech. (hard sciences).

I’m learning SQL and Python on my own time- been going steady for the past 6 months. Like you, I prefer to keep my brain engaged and sharpened. Have to say though, I don’t see myself working in the technology field for much longer. While immensely stimulating, it fails to provide me with a sense of gratification in that I’m bettering the world.
That's interesting. Are you really considering leaving your field of work that you enjoy for something that betters the world? What type of work would that be?

Thank you for your time.

That's interesting. Are you really considering leaving your field of work that you enjoy for something that betters the world? What type of work would that be?

Lol thanks. Yeah, I’m strongly considering going for an after-degree in pre med (either biological sciences or health sci.). It will only be 20 courses (more like 15 actually) for credit as I already have a bachelors in the sciences.

Only issue is time really. I’m already 30 so even if I fast-track a second bachelors in a span of a couple years max while still working full-time, and assuming I am able to get into a medical school, I wouldn’t really see the fruits of said labour until my late 30s/nearly 40 at the earliest.

But to be honest I would deem it worth it.

Thank you for your time.

Lol thanks. Yeah, I’m strongly considering going for an after-degree in pre med (either biological sciences or health sci.). It will only be 20 courses (more like 15 actually) for credit as I already have a bachelors in the sciences.

Only issue is time really. I’m already 30 so even if I fast-track a second bachelors in a span of a couple years max while still working full-time, and assuming I am able to get into a medical school, I wouldn’t really see the fruits of said labour until my late 30s/nearly 40 at the earliest.

Have you thought about volunteering? I'm a lot older than you but I'm finding it rewarding working with poor kids in a music program. There's all kinds of stuff you can do.

Thank you for your time.

Have you thought about volunteering? I'm a lot older than you but I'm finding it rewarding working with poor kids in a music program. There's all kinds of stuff you can do.

I volunteer at a local hospital. It’s actually the source of inspiration for me wanting to pursue medicine. That and my older sister is a Radiologist.

I've been working a lot with Internet of Things (IoT) over the last year. Really cheap ESP8266 devices that can be hooked up to sensors and relays to control literally anything over the Internet.

Programmed in Arduino IDE (essentially C++) or in Python, you can build a lot of cool stuff.

And you're working with both hardware and software.

esp-thermostat-featured.jpg

Thank you for your time.

Welcome to the club! I didn't discover programming until I was in my forties, but I've managed a career change and actually enjoy my job now.

Thank you for your time.

Combine what you already know with what you want to do. I've been a database administrator for decades, and spent 12 years working for the non-profit that matches all the organ donors with recipients in the US, and that was very rewarding. With the way healthcare is exploding, it shouldn't be too difficult to do IT in healthcare.

Forum List

Back