Anti-War Protesters Fight Military Recruiters in Schools

The ClayTaurus said:
I misunderstood, apparently. I thought you wanted to pull all funding from the state.
I dont think that is how it works. I know that in Massacheussetts, when Harvard banned recruiters from campus, the Federal funds were pulled from that establishment ONLY.

CSM said:
I dont think that is how it works. I know that in Massacheussetts, when Harvard banned recruiters from campus, the Federal funds were pulled from that establishment ONLY.

So, in the hypothetical, if you pulled ALL federal funding from a state, would you still expect that state to participate in federal taxation? I think that if something caused you to pull all funding to a state, then you should just expel them from the country altogether. You can't make an entire state pay into a system that they see no return on.

The ClayTaurus said:
I just don't see how you can pull their federal funding, yet continue to require them to pay federal tax. If you want to pull their funding, then cancel their taxes and effectively let them seceed.

Hey Clay. Each state receives a specific dollar amount from the feds that is required by law to be spent on education. Being the bean counters they are the feds micromanage that money down to the individual schools allocation. All schools in the state receive a certain base amount. They may receive additional funds depending on how many students are children of federal employees (normally the US Military dependents). One of the conditions of receiving these funds is that contact data and access is provided to recruiters to eligible kids.

IF that school declines, then the feds are fine to pull the $$. It will not effect the grade schools for example, or any school in compliance.

The tax dollars you mentioned are collected from individuals and corporations. They fund many things. Including as CSM puts it, "art".

pegwinn said:
Hey Clay. Each state receives a specific dollar amount from the feds that is required by law to be spent on education. Being the bean counters they are the feds micromanage that money down to the individual schools allocation. All schools in the state receive a certain base amount. They may receive additional funds depending on how many students are children of federal employees (normally the US Military dependents). One of the conditions of receiving these funds is that contact data and access is provided to recruiters to eligible kids.

IF that school declines, then the feds are fine to pull the $$. It will not effect the grade schools for example, or any school in compliance.

The tax dollars you mentioned are collected from individuals and corporations. They fund many things. Including as CSM puts it, "art".

Not to mention that most school funding comes from local taxes, such as city property tax.

Hobbit said:
Not to mention that most school funding comes from local taxes, such as city property tax.

Yeah, and the Texas Supreme Court just declared ours unconstitutional as it constitutes a state tax; which, is unconstitutional in TX. The legislature has until June 06 to get it straight.

GunnyL said:
Yeah, and the Texas Supreme Court just declared ours unconstitutional as it constitutes a state tax; which, is unconstitutional in TX. The legislature has until June 06 to get it straight.

And if they don't we will divide into five individual states and set up a power bloc in the House and Senate. Then everyone can stand the hell by :rock:

Bonnie said:
Yes War is bad but sometimes necessary, what is also bad are those that claim to be responsible for children during the hours of 9am to 2pm fostering their own liberal beliefs upon other people's children..........I thought education was about reading, writing, and math???
and the rest was up to parents?? Or are schools/teachers in this country now using tactics from the North Vietcong's playbook, making parents irrelevant????????? Communist Automitons anyone???

Oh I agree, if I had kids I'd want them learning the 3 R's, not liberal propaganda and progressive values (nor conservative propaganda and traditional values). The whole institution of government-funded education is the problem here, abolish it and parents can choose the school that suits them best.

CSM said:
I hope not. Of course, then when (not if) the city drops into the ocean we wont have to worry about sending in FEMA to rebuild, etc.

No FEMA to c**kblock the efforts of locals in their rescue/rebuilding efforts? Sounds like a blessing to me!

Hobbit said:
Actually, they get quite a return. They just don't appreciate it. If somebody doesn't want to pay taxes, you have to pull their highway access, emergency services, and many other things they get from the government that they just don't appreciate.

Your avatar looks like a conservative's, but you sound like a Clinton-era liberal. None of the things you listed cannot be provided by state and local governments, much less the private sector. The unfortunate truth is, the government doesn't just yank services if you don't want to pay taxes--they ultimately will come to your house and point a gun in your face if you don't pay.

Man...I remember when federalism and states rights was one of the key talking points of conservatism only a few years ago.

pegwinn said:
And if they don't we will divide into five individual states and set up a power bloc in the House and Senate. Then everyone can stand the hell by :rock:

Works for me. I'm going to run for office on the platform of a "No Existence Zone" from Brownsville to El Paso. :thewave:

Abbey Normal said:
Okay, then, can we please keep all National Guard troops permanently out of Seattle? They dont deserve them.

Yes, and also close any military instalations. Seattle probably doesn't like any of that pesky military payrole filtering down into their businesses either... :rolleyes:

Pale Rider said:
Yes, and also close any military instalations. Seattle probably doesn't like any of that pesky military payrole filtering down into their businesses either... :rolleyes:

Ever seen a town dry up because the CG places it off limits? Some of the predators whose sole purpose in life is to fleece the young-n-dumb ("we finance E-1 & Up") grovel rather well when the General has enough of their crap and places their establishments off limits. There are so many welcome signs you'd think we were returning from a 2 year deployment. :laugh:

Forum List

Back