NATOAIR and the Pres.

CSM

Jul 7, 2004
Northeast US
Korea Times
November 14, 2005

Bush May Stay In US Aircraft Carrier

By Jung Sung-ki, Staff Reporter

PUSAN--U.S President George W. Bush may stay in the U.S. aircraft carrier USS Kitty Hawk, which arrived in the port of Pusan (Busan) for military exercises, while attending the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) forum in Pusan, sources said Sunday.

Bush will arrive in South Korea Wednesday, one day ahead of the scheduled summit with President Roh Moo-hyun in the southeastern city of Kyongju, a U.S. Embassy official said.

Washington has kept secret where Bush will stay during the global meeting, fearing potential terrorist attacks against the U.S. president.

Earlier yesterday, the USS Kitty Hawk from Yokosuka, Japan, arrived at Pusan with about 5,200 sailors and 60 aircraft, including F-18 Super Hornets, for a joint military exercise training between South Korea and the U.S. planned to start next week. But there are speculations that Bush will stay in the advanced aircraft carrier.

Officials at the United States Forces Korea (USFK) declined to comment on the issue, citing security concerns.

``I don’t see any relation between the aircraft carrier’s arrival and Bush’s location. Actually I don’t have information on that,’’ a USFK official said on condition of anonymity.

Bush had stayed in the US aircraft carrier USS Enterprise during a G-8 summit in Italy in 2001.

The U.S. president is scheduled to arrive at Pusan’s Kimhae International Airport. Bush and Roh will meet in Kyongju Thursday to discuss issues of mutual concern, including the North Korean nuclear programs.

Bush is also expected to meet some Southeast Asian leaders on the sidelines of the APEC summit, according to Vietnam's APEC delegates. Bush will meet with seven heads of state from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), who will be in South Korea for the APEC forum, the delegates said.

Before coming to South Korea, Bush will meet Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi in Kyoto, Japan. From South Korea, he will travel to China and Mongolia.

Maybe NATO can get his autograph and give him some advice!

CSM said:
Korea Times
November 14, 2005

Bush May Stay In US Aircraft Carrier

By Jung Sung-ki, Staff Reporter

PUSAN--U.S President George W. Bush may stay in the U.S. aircraft carrier USS Kitty Hawk, which arrived in the port of Pusan (Busan) for military exercises, while attending the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) forum in Pusan, sources said Sunday.

Bush will arrive in South Korea Wednesday, one day ahead of the scheduled summit with President Roh Moo-hyun in the southeastern city of Kyongju, a U.S. Embassy official said.

Washington has kept secret where Bush will stay during the global meeting, fearing potential terrorist attacks against the U.S. president.

Earlier yesterday, the USS Kitty Hawk from Yokosuka, Japan, arrived at Pusan with about 5,200 sailors and 60 aircraft, including F-18 Super Hornets, for a joint military exercise training between South Korea and the U.S. planned to start next week. But there are speculations that Bush will stay in the advanced aircraft carrier.

Officials at the United States Forces Korea (USFK) declined to comment on the issue, citing security concerns.

``I don’t see any relation between the aircraft carrier’s arrival and Bush’s location. Actually I don’t have information on that,’’ a USFK official said on condition of anonymity.

Bush had stayed in the US aircraft carrier USS Enterprise during a G-8 summit in Italy in 2001.

The U.S. president is scheduled to arrive at Pusan’s Kimhae International Airport. Bush and Roh will meet in Kyongju Thursday to discuss issues of mutual concern, including the North Korean nuclear programs.

Bush is also expected to meet some Southeast Asian leaders on the sidelines of the APEC summit, according to Vietnam's APEC delegates. Bush will meet with seven heads of state from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), who will be in South Korea for the APEC forum, the delegates said.

Before coming to South Korea, Bush will meet Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi in Kyoto, Japan. From South Korea, he will travel to China and Mongolia.

Maybe NATO can get his autograph and give him some advice!

Whoo hoo! I'm sure he would bring up Darfur if given half chance.

Kathianne said:
Whoo hoo! I'm sure he would bring up Darfur if given half chance.

You know it!

No, this report was absolutely off base anyway, we didn't go anywhere near Pusan the entire deployment... we were doing our ANNUALEX wargames with the Japanese SDF most of the time until we went to Hong Kong.

Interesting note on Pusan (our worst port) the US is waiting for the Koreans to complete the upgrade of their port facilities to be able to become a repair facility ala Singapore, Perth, Guam and Yokosuka (the only other places in Asia where the US can get an aircraft carrier fixed... believe it or not Malaysia is working on a port that can do this, should be done in a few years). PACOM is taking the LONG view on alliances and relationships with nations other than China.

One time earlier this year when we were close to Korea Condeleeza Rice was supposed to visit, but cancelled at the last minute because the Japanese wanted to extend their consultation with her and start them early.

The best we've ever had VIP wise has been Gordon England (one-time Sec. of the Navy, now the #2 at DOD) and that hypocrite Jackie Chan. Oh and Goldberg the professional wrestler.

NATO AIR said:
You know it!

No, this report was absolutely off base anyway, we didn't go anywhere near Pusan the entire deployment... we were doing our ANNUALEX wargames with the Japanese SDF most of the time until we went to Hong Kong.

Interesting note on Pusan (our worst port) the US is waiting for the Koreans to complete the upgrade of their port facilities to be able to become a repair facility ala Singapore, Perth, Guam and Yokosuka (the only other places in Asia where the US can get an aircraft carrier fixed... believe it or not Malaysia is working on a port that can do this, should be done in a few years). PACOM is taking the LONG view on alliances and relationships with nations other than China.

One time earlier this year when we were close to Korea Condeleeza Rice was supposed to visit, but cancelled at the last minute because the Japanese wanted to extend their consultation with her and start them early.

The best we've ever had VIP wise has been Gordon England (one-time Sec. of the Navy, now the #2 at DOD) and that hypocrite Jackie Chan. Oh and Goldberg the professional wrestler.

LOL.

Nice to see you back. Here long?

NATO AIR said:
Yep, for a good number of months actually. Then many many deployments and short inport periods to follow until I finally escape the navy in oct. 2007.

I was going to say I thought you were going to be a land-lover pretty soon. :D

I'm sure you'll miss it once you're gone!

Said1 said:
I was going to say I thought you were going to be a land-lover pretty soon. :D

I'm sure you'll miss it once you're gone!

Heh... cruises are a no-no for me for the first five years after i'm out of the navy.

2 more years....

NATO AIR said:
Heh... cruises are a no-no for me for the first five years after i'm out of the navy.

2 more years....

Trust me, you will miss it. Just won't realise it till you are sitting in a bar somewhere and some loudmouth disses your Navy.

:laugh:

pegwinn said:
Trust me, you will miss it. Just won't realise it till you are sitting in a bar somewhere and some loudmouth disses your Navy.

:laugh:

I can see the possibilities in that. My Navy (and its men's department- the marines).

i'll just steer the subject towards UPS for the military, I mean the Air Farce.

Actually, in the old days, the Army picked their locations for an Army post by following ex Navy guys. The ex Navy guy was cajoled into carrying an oar over one shoulder and walking inland. As soon as one of the indegenous population asked the ex Navy guy "What is that you are carrying on your shoulder?" the Army would build a post.

There's a job for ya out there NATO!

Forum List

Back