Anti Government = Mental Illness: Study

Anti-Government Phobia has a worldwide distribution, but has a particularly high incidence in the United States. Infection rates are estimated by mental health officials to be about 5% of the general population, and this rate is growing at an alarming rate. Rates are highest, but not limited to, those who are disaffected in some fashion, especially those who have a strong personal grudge against the federal government for one reason or another.

Although certain variants of the illness have been around for many years, it is only in the last decade or so that the more virulent and infectious strains have appeared. This is most likely due to the rapid buildup of government, at all levels, during the 1980's. Closely paralling this trend was an explosion in the number of cases in which individuals were diagnosed as having unfounded fears concerning such.

Clinical Manifestations and Diagnosis Anti-Government Phobia is marked by extreme suspiciousness toward government. Onset is acute. Symptoms start almost immediately after a run-in with some agency or institution of the government, or when the patient is introduced to anti-government propaganda, in one form or another, by a self-styled "patriot." Common ways in which this harmful, anti-government propaganda is spread include: books, pamphlets, magazines, newspapers, audiotapes, videotapes, short-wave and conventional radio programs, computer bulletin boards, and various Internet sites.

Upon exposure to "patriotic" propaganda, the patient mysteriously begins to imagine hidden links between unrelated current events, weaving these gross distortions of reality into a complex delusional web; a labyrinth of conspiracy theories with all imagined clues leading straight to the federal government. With further exposure, the patient becomes increasingly paranoid, and slowly withdrawals from reality. However, mental deterioration is usually so gradual that the patient is often unaware of it.

This mysterious malady progresses until the patient invariably assumes a staunch "us against them" mentality. For instance, in the patient's warped mind-set, each new piece of gun-control legislation is oddly rationalized to be merely one additional step in an ultimate plot by the federal government to confiscate guns altogether. In some unusually severe cases, the patient assumes a survivalist mentality, stockpiling guns, ammunition, de-hydrated food, and other "essentials," in preparation for "D-Day" or "Armageddon."

At this stage, the patient also inexplicity experiences increased delusional thinking. For instance, he may start fallaciously believing that the Federal Reserve is not in fact part of the federal government, but is instead controlled by wealthy Zionists. Other far-flung delusions may involve the United Nations, "black helicopters," concentration camps, or the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR). Delusions involving "takeovers" by foreign military troops, or jack-booted government storm troopers dressed in all black, are also commonly diagnosed.

Anti-Government Phobia is often associated with religious fanaticism. An excellent example of this is the infamous Branch Davidian case, in which most cult members preferred a fiery suicide over peaceful surrender to the forces of what they considered to be "Mystery Babylon." There have been other prominant cases in which "patriots" have became involved with terrorist activity, fallaciously believing that they were somehow doing the "will of God." More commonly, "patriots" have been involved in aggressive outbursts in courtrooms, and other public places such as town-hall meetings.

ANTI-GOVERNMENT PHOBIA

The folks at the onion have a hard time coming up with satire that is as silly as some actual government studies.

Anti-Government Phobia has a worldwide distribution, but has a particularly high incidence in the United States. Infection rates are estimated by mental health officials to be about 5% of the general population, and this rate is growing at an alarming rate. Rates are highest, but not limited to, those who are disaffected in some fashion, especially those who have a strong personal grudge against the federal government for one reason or another.

Although certain variants of the illness have been around for many years, it is only in the last decade or so that the more virulent and infectious strains have appeared. This is most likely due to the rapid buildup of government, at all levels, during the 1980's. Closely paralling this trend was an explosion in the number of cases in which individuals were diagnosed as having unfounded fears concerning such.

Clinical Manifestations and Diagnosis Anti-Government Phobia is marked by extreme suspiciousness toward government. Onset is acute. Symptoms start almost immediately after a run-in with some agency or institution of the government, or when the patient is introduced to anti-government propaganda, in one form or another, by a self-styled "patriot." Common ways in which this harmful, anti-government propaganda is spread include: books, pamphlets, magazines, newspapers, audiotapes, videotapes, short-wave and conventional radio programs, computer bulletin boards, and various Internet sites.

Upon exposure to "patriotic" propaganda, the patient mysteriously begins to imagine hidden links between unrelated current events, weaving these gross distortions of reality into a complex delusional web; a labyrinth of conspiracy theories with all imagined clues leading straight to the federal government. With further exposure, the patient becomes increasingly paranoid, and slowly withdrawals from reality. However, mental deterioration is usually so gradual that the patient is often unaware of it.

This mysterious malady progresses until the patient invariably assumes a staunch "us against them" mentality. For instance, in the patient's warped mind-set, each new piece of gun-control legislation is oddly rationalized to be merely one additional step in an ultimate plot by the federal government to confiscate guns altogether. In some unusually severe cases, the patient assumes a survivalist mentality, stockpiling guns, ammunition, de-hydrated food, and other "essentials," in preparation for "D-Day" or "Armageddon."

At this stage, the patient also inexplicity experiences increased delusional thinking. For instance, he may start fallaciously believing that the Federal Reserve is not in fact part of the federal government, but is instead controlled by wealthy Zionists. Other far-flung delusions may involve the United Nations, "black helicopters," concentration camps, or the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR). Delusions involving "takeovers" by foreign military troops, or jack-booted government storm troopers dressed in all black, are also commonly diagnosed.

Anti-Government Phobia is often associated with religious fanaticism. An excellent example of this is the infamous Branch Davidian case, in which most cult members preferred a fiery suicide over peaceful surrender to the forces of what they considered to be "Mystery Babylon." There have been other prominant cases in which "patriots" have became involved with terrorist activity, fallaciously believing that they were somehow doing the "will of God." More commonly, "patriots" have been involved in aggressive outbursts in courtrooms, and other public places such as town-hall meetings.

ANTI-GOVERNMENT PHOBIA

OH horse shit the video is only talking about people who are against left wing liberal government. You are being a patriot opposing RIGHT OF CENTER REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT.

This is why we do Article V, a lawful and peaceful revolution.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX_QFllnynQ]Uncle Kracker - Smile starring Allie Allie - YouTube[/ame]

Considering what the government considers suspicious behavior these days, it is only healthy to be wary of government.

For example, did you know that buying a cup of coffee with cash is considered to be suspicious?

How about growing or shaving a beard?
Dyeing your hair?
Changing you clothing style?
Being concerned about privacy?

More and more the activities of basic daily living are being considered terrorist like behavior by the government and if we're concerned about that we are labeled as "sick"?

It's sad, but so true. Words to look for: "jack-booted thugs", "taxes are theft", etc.

Just goes to show you, the money that goes to the NIH, NIMH and Dr. Tower in particular, is money well-spent. :cool:

The anti-authoritarian neurotic doesn't limit his anti-authority behavior to just hating government, so I am dubious that this POV is much more than a political slam

But I will note that it is as much the sign of troubled mind to support authority blindly as it is to hate authority blindly.

Partisans of neither party are really anti-authoriarian.

Somebody who is truly anti-authoritarian really cannot support political parties, either.

We have some authentic anti-authoritaians here, I suspect.

They are posting from both leftist and rightest and radically centrist POVs.

Last edited:
The anti-authoritarian neurotic doesn't limit his anti-authority behavior to just hating government, so I am dubious that this POV is much more than a political slam

But I will note that it is as much the sign of troubled mind to support authority blindly as it is to hate authority blindly.

Somebody who is truly anti-authoritarian really cannot support political parties, either.

We have met the enemy and he is us! :eek:

I agree with you up until the last statement. I am anti-authoritarian but I am definately not centrist. I am a Libertarian. Centrists trust government quite a lot, they support things like Obamacare, the Patriot Act, entitlement programs. They don't trust a politician simply because of it's party affiliation, that much is true, but trusting government, that is something they do too much of.

Last edited:

And post such delusions on internet message boards.

I agree with you up until the last statement. I am anti-authoritarian but I am definately not centrist. I am a Libertarian. Centrists trust government quite a lot, they support things like Obamacare, the Patriot Act, entitlement programs. They don't trust a politician simply because of it's party affiliation, that much is true, but trusting government, that is something they do too much of.

Yeah, well I am not using these words from the standard partisan POV that is most commonly used.

One CAN be a radical centrist if one eschews the POV of those leaning right or left.

I actually think a lot of the right wnger and left wingers here are actually, if not on the same page, certainly in the same chapter.

But their understanding and use of the LANGUAGE we share is really getting in their way.

For example, when some people here speak of "LIBERALS" they are talking power grabbing authoritarians.

A lefty might call that same kind of person a "FASCIST.

Note that they both hate the same KIND of behavior?

But each was taught a different LABEL to DESCRIBE such behavior.

My theory is that one ought to hate the BEHAVIOR, not the label.

And post such delusions on internet message boards.

The shoe was on the other foot when Bush was POTUS.

Everything he did was questioned and everything he didn't do was blamed on him.

If a group of guards in Abu Grab started abusing prisoners it was considered to be on direct orders from Bush. Katrina was caused by Bush because he hates Blacks.

Forum List

Back