Anti-Christianity Thread

Abbey Normal said:
Why bother debating someone whose sole purpose in coming here is to spread his utter contempt for Christianity? Do you think you will change his thinking ? It's worse than a waste of time. I couldn't care less how Spidey chooses to live his bitter and angry life, but he apparently is very much bothered by the way Christians choose to live ours. He is polluting the board with his incessant Christophobic diatribes, and I for one find it predictable, sad, and a huge waste of time.

Root_Bitterness_Tree.gif

Yea, its like picking a scab or squeezing zits, you know you shouldnt but.....

Bonnie said:
Look Kal, do yourself a favor and please do speak your opinion, but don't lump christians into some group of uneducated, easily led, and overly lacking in logic. Many christians here on this board and elsewhere in the world are very well educated, have done their homework, and you don't know them or know why or what brought them to their faith, it's a deeply personal thing. If you wish to make a point try doing it by showing the respect, and tolerance that you liberals claim to have in abundance and you will be responded to in kind. You come across as a pompious ass who really knows little about what you claim to know and that will never sway anyone's mind in a debate.. rather you will just turn people off.

I'm the first to admit that most Christians are very well educated, intelligent, and can think rationally, that is, when it comes to the bible.

Abbey Normal said:
Hey Kal, you have made it clear that you do not believe in God, and think anyone who does is an idiot.

Let me clear this up now, so there's no confusion. I believe the god of the bible does not exist. But, there may be a god.

So one must assume that you also think the God of Islam is a figment of the imagination.

That would be correct.

Do you therefore think that all followers of Allah are idiots as well?

Not exactly, just misinformed.

If so, please state as much, and while you're at it, could you include your real name and address? I am sure that our Islamic brothers would be very interested in getting to know you better.

Now why would I want to invite trouble? You're being rather obtuse here.

kal-el said:
I'm the first to admit that most Christians are very well educated, intelligent, and can think rationally, that is, when it comes to the bible.

I'm the first to admit that most non-Christians are very well educated, intelligent, and can think rationally, that is, when it comes to unimportant issues.

no1tovote4 said:
You wouldn't think that Pascal's Wager is rational?

Sure it is, it is the best-known argument for any type of theism.

Just because some people have faith in a Deity doesn't make them irrational

When it comes to normal, everday things, no, you would be correct. But to think that something special awaits us after death; humans were made for a greater purpose, and we each have a unique "soul" that escapes our bodies after death is rather poetic, and not supported by any factual evidence.

any more than suggesting that since there is no evidence you will accept there must not be one at all would be rational.

Look, do you not deny the existence of the tooth fairy because of the overwhelming lack of supporting evidence? Well, the same could be said about your invisable man.

There is an equal lack of evidence to disprove the existence of such a Deity. It takes just as much faith to believe that there is not a God as it does to believe that there is one. The truly rational people would be agnostic, not atheist.

Uhh, nope. I don't need faith to show me that god doesn't exist. I throw down the existence of god for the identical reason I turn down the existence of the tooth fairy and Santa- One need not faith to reject these, it's the only logical conclusion to come up with when shown the abundant lack of evidence. When shown the claim that the tooth fairy exists, the only logical thing is to deny it. Athesim is based on reason, not faith.

manu1959 said:
I'm the first to admit that most non-Christians are very well educated, intelligent, and can think rationally, that is, when it comes to unimportant issues.

Great response. Did you come up with that line yourself, or did your sky pixie assist you?

Yurt said:
Pray tell us how destroying sin is bloodthirsty.

This world should contain no sin, but since he dosen't destroy it, he's either not omnipotent, or not omnibenevolent.

How protecting God's people from people who would destroy them bloodthirsty?

Uhh, sending animals to devour juveniles for making fun of one of his prophet's baldness is not saving him from people that would destroy him.

How is being "slow to anger" bloodthirsty.

A perfect entity wouldn't show any emotions, as an emotion is a reaction to something unexpected. And being omniscient, nothing would be unexpected, hence no use for emotions.

Or are you telling us that if your children (assuming you had them) were being attacked by killers, that you would stand by and yell loudly for them to stop or, or, or, else, cause I won't interfere because I am not a bloodthristy person?

Irrelevant argument. I have no children.

For what you have posted as beign bloodthirsty is anything but, it is the reality of sin. That is why the price of sin is death. It all makes sense. Not bloodthristy as you would have us believe.

What? God created everything, right? Then he created sin.

GotZoom said:
I'm still curious about your weenie and milk statement.

Ok

Can you at least agree that you did not wake up one day knowing a weenie was called a weenie and milk was milk - that your mom and/or dad taught you those things.

Yep, we we're all indoctrinated certain things when we were young. But, as I grew older, I have stumbled onto the facts.

You are born with no knowledge at all. Everything is learned. Parents, school, friends, etc..

Correct. Now can you agree that everyone is an atheist at birth, you've already in so many words, admitted it.

Someone told you milk was milk, kool-aid was kool-aid, a pencil was a pencil, and the color blue was the color blue.

Wow, you're batting 1000.

What did those people tell you about God?

For your information, I used to be a Christian.

kal-el said:
Sure it is, it is the best-known argument for any type of theism.

When it comes to normal, everday things, no, you would be correct. But to think that something special awaits us after death; humans were made for a greater purpose, and we each have a unique "soul" that escapes our bodies after death is rather poetic, and not supported by any factual evidence.

Look, do you not deny the existence of the tooth fairy because of the overwhelming lack of supporting evidence? Well, the same could be said about your invisable man.

Uhh, nope. I don't need faith to show me that god doesn't exist. I throw down the existence of god for the identical reason I turn down the existence of the tooth fairy and Santa- One need not faith to reject these, it's the only logical conclusion to come up with when shown the abundant lack of evidence. When shown the claim that the tooth fairy exists, the only logical thing is to deny it. Athesim is based on reason, not faith.

The comparison to entirely fictional characters notwithstanding, there is an incredible amount of evidence of the non-existence of Santa and the Tooth Fairy, not so much supporting evidence of the non-existence of a Deity.

Once again, lack of evidence is not proof of non-existence. The truly rational mind would understand that there might actually be one, and understand that the choice to not believe is as rational as the choice to believe in its existence.

To many there is direct evidence, they believe that they have touched this Deity and have a personal relationship with the Deity. You would be unable to convince them that chance saved their lives or whichever personal experience they observed. Others would deny because of anger. However none would deny all existence based on no evidence.

There is at least as much evidence for a Deity as there is for Bigfoot, there are many people that will believe 100% because they had seen a footprint, others would deny that evidence and show how easily it could be faked. I will wait for more evidence and make no judgement. Nor will I insult the sanity of those that might believe. Their Deity might not be to your taste, but it is unlikely for you to change their thoughts and I fail to see the reason it would be so important for you to do so. It is irrational to attempt to change what somebody else takes on faith or personal experience, especially when you have no evidence that they are wrong.

Also a study in Social Sciences will show that Atheism is not the 'default' of a human being. All societies around the world have believed in a Deity or Deities. You would do well to look into that and maybe change the idea. They didn't come up with separate Deity ideas against their very nature and 'default setting' of Atheist. It is within human nature to believe in a Deity. There are even Psychological studies on the effect. Your idea of a 'default setting' of atheism flies directly into the face of modern scientific study, and rational thought.

Some of those studies for you:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4351726,00.html

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/31/1728_77081

The fact is God lives. Anyone who says otherwise is ignoring everything in the universe. Because all things testify that there is a God.

Anyone who would disbelieve in God, or the God of the Bible simply because those stories are toooo unbelievable to be true, are not being honest at all, or are absolutely, stark raving stupid.

What they would believe instead is that a being powerful enough to create trillions and trillions of stars, couldnt make a virgin pregnant, yet our doctors can. Couldnt part the Red sea, yet we could. Couldnt flood the earth and keep Noah and his alive.

yea, right,,,,I can drive a car 140 on a freeway, but I wouldnt be able to handle a go kart at the local kiddie palace.

LuvRPgrl said:
Anyone who would disbelieve in God, or the God of the Bible simply because those stories are toooo unbelievable to be true, are not being honest at all, or are absolutely, stark raving stupid.

Umm, not believing something unbelievable makes someone dishonest or stupid? You need to rethink this one.

LuvRPgrl said:
What they would believe instead is that a being powerful enough to create trillions and trillions of stars, couldnt make a virgin pregnant, yet our doctors can. Couldnt part the Red sea, yet we could. Couldnt flood the earth and keep Noah and his alive.

Not real sure what you are trying to say in parts of this.

no1tovote4 said:
The comparison to entirely fictional characters notwithstanding, there is an incredible amount of evidence of the non-existence of Santa and the Tooth Fairy, not so much supporting evidence of the non-existence of a Deity.

Your blatant lack of fundamental conceptions non withstanding. If there exists so much evidence disproving Santa and the tooth fairy, I'm sure you won't mind enlightening me?

Once again, lack of evidence is not proof of non-existence. The truly rational mind would understand that there might actually be one, and understand that the choice to not believe is as rational as the choice to believe in its existence.

Why not? Everything that exists leaves some trace of evidence as it's existence. Look believing that a god exists, and knowing that a god exists are 2 totally different things. Some people can believe in a sky pixie without knowing he exists, and someone does not need to believe in a god if they know that a god exists, hence knowledge is more than suffiecient here.

To many there is direct evidence,

I guess if one spends their time reading fairy stories, totally illogical acts portray themselves as direct evidence.

they believe that they have touched this Deity and have a personal relationship with the Deity.

Yes, they might actually believe this, but by proclaiming that they "believe this", they made an obligation to present proof of this.

You would be unable to convince them that chance saved their lives or whichever personal experience they observed. Others would deny because of anger. However none would deny all existence based on no evidence.

Maybe so, because they are too entangled in their religious cacoon's to open the eye of reason.

There is at least as much evidence for a Deity as there is for Bigfoot, there are many people that will believe 100% because they had seen a footprint, others would deny that evidence and show how easily it could be faked. I will wait for more evidence and make no judgement. Nor will I insult the sanity of those that might believe.

Listen, once they say "God exists" they are under an obligation to prove it. Some assertions are not under such obligations, but when people assert that their beliefs carry validity, they have entered their beliefs into the realm of "Burden of proof", hece must defend them.

eity might not be to your taste, but it is unlikely for you to change their thoughts and I fail to see the reason it would be so important for you to do so. It is irrational to attempt to change what somebody else takes on faith or personal experience, especially when you have no evidence that they are wrong.

Right, but you must also say the same about the theists who attempt to convert atheists. IMO it is rather asinine to attempt to convert without any evidence whatsoever, a simple photograph will do, but no, theists won't introduce me to their sky man!

Forum List

Back