Answer this

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Avatar4321, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,152
    Was God ever a man? I am having a debate on some other forums and im curious what the people here say. Im surprised at the answers. particularly from christians

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    From a Buddhist perspective it is possible for a human to become a god, over long ages of working to eliminate negative karma and engender positive karma. But wishining to remain in a state of godhood is nothing more than petty clinging to and grasping after that which is impermanent and transitory, resulting in reincarnation in the hell realms upon death.

3. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +490
    That's simple ---- No -- for God the Father and Yes --- for God the Son

If God the Father were a man, He would be subject to the laws of this universe, which to me seems a contradiction.

God the Father is not subject to time or space.... in fact His name is YAHWEH -- meaning "I AM"

If you analyze it... "I" --- meaning God the Father has an individuality

"AM" - God the Father exists

"I AM" - God the Father exists in an everlasting "present" without a past or a future.... He was not created, nor was He born, nor does He age, nor will He die.

However, God the Son (that is Jesus) was a man.... and being a man, He was subject to birth, death and suffering.... which is what His whole purpose for coming to this Earth was... i.e. to be a sin offering on our behalf so that we can at least get a chance at salvation.

4. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +490
    So.... does Buddhism acknowledge that eventually the universe will end?
    According to what we know, the universe does not have enough mass to contract back onto itself. That means that the universe will keep on expanding indefinitely. If that is so, eventually all the energy will be used up and we will have nothing but entropy. Even matter will eventually disintegrate leaving behind a very very very thin cloud of subatomic particles or perhaps even superstrings.

BTW --- have you ever heard of a "palya"? I once read about it when I was a kid. A palya was, as I recall, the amount of time required to empty a well a mile deep and a mile wide filled with fine hairs, but removing a single hair once a century. According to my calculations a palya is about 10 raised to the 17th power years.

If what I read about the universe is true.... it will take 10 to the 17th power "palya" or 10 to the 34th power years (at least) before all the matter in the universe evaporates.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    John 1:1-5, 14:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it... And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth."

We see this about the Word (Jesus):
    1. He is God.
    2. He existed from the beginning (which is to say, He has always been God).
    3. He created the world (another act of God, see Genesis 1).
    4. He became flesh - i.e. became a man.

Also, Hebrews 2:10-17:

"For it was fitting that he, for whom and by whom all things exist, in bringing many sons to glory, should make the founder of their salvation perfect through suffering. For he who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one origin. That is why he is not ashamed to call them brothers, saying,

"I will tell of your name to my brothers;
    in the midst of the congregation I will sing your praise."

And again,

"I will put my trust in him."

And again,

"Behold, I and the children God has given me."

Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery. For surely it is not angels that he helps, but he helps the offspring of Abraham. Therefore he had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people."

According to this passage, it was necessary for Jesus to be fully human, so that He could provide a fitting sacrifice for the sins of humans. If non-human blood could have satisfied the justice that God required, then the animal sacrifice system set up in the Mosaic Law would have sufficed. But it was not sufficient; it was, as the author of Hebrews goes on to say, a shadow of that which was to come.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. pllove

pllove Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    funny.

7. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

Are you simply replying to build up your post count? That reply makes no sense.

8. softwaremama

softwaremama Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No, it's not that simple. In Hebrew, it means many things--the meaning is much richer than in English. Please...

9. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +490
    I'm sure it is.... and I would like to know.... do you have a link?

10. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    A Bible scholar I'm not...Heck, I can barely remember the "now I lay me down to sleep" stuff.
    But, what about the "created in his own image" thing?

My answer is, Yes.:)