Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
Lesbian minister will challenge defrocking
Pastor will take case to church appeals court

The Associated Press
Updated: 6:41 a.m. ET Dec. 27, 2004

A Methodist minister who was defrocked for declaring that she’s a lesbian living with her partner is taking her case to a church appeals court.

The Rev. Irene Elizabeth Stroud, of Philadelphia, was ousted Dec. 2 for violating the United Methodist Church’s law against “self-avowed practicing homosexuals” in the clergy.

She decided last week to appeal but delayed the announcement until after Christmas weekend: Notice of appeal must be filed this week.

Stroud said she hesitated to appeal because she’s tired and dislikes being in the spotlight, but “there are questions the larger church needs to discuss and wrestle with.”

She said one factor in her decision was something retired Bishop Joseph Yeakel, the judge who presided at her church trial, said to her after the verdict. Yeakel told Stroud “the day will come when the church apologizes for this decision.”

Stroud was tried by her own Eastern Pennsylvania Conference. The case now goes to an appeals panel of the Northeastern Jurisdiction, which covers 12 states and the District of Columbia.

At the trial, Yeakel barred testimony from six Stroud witnesses who oppose the Methodist ban, citing both legal and theological arguments. But the six filed material that is part of the trial record and the Northeastern Jurisdiction will review that.

Stroud wants the appeals panel to consider that Methodist law, known as the Book of Discipline, “calls us a church to stand against every form of discrimination” and “treat all people as equally loved by God.”

“When you look at those provisions of the Discipline and some of the prohibitions on homosexuality, you have to make a choice,” she said. The six witnesses’ filings made similar points.

If the Northeastern Jurisdiction decides trial procedures were mistaken, it could direct a second Pennsylvania trial, Yeakel said. It could also refer questions on interpretation of Methodist law to the church’s national Judicial Council.

The case originated last year when Stroud announced her same-sex partnership in a sermon. At the trial, an all-clergy jury voted 12-1 that she was guilty of violating Methodist law. In a subsequent penalty phase, jurors voted to defrock her by 7-6.

Stroud is one of three homosexual clergy members tried since the Methodist General Conference passed its gay ban in 1984. The Rev. Rose Mary Denman of New Hampshire was defrocked in 1987 and the Rev. Karen Dammann of Washington state was acquitted last March.

Philadelphia’s First United Methodist Church of Germantown has continued to employ Stroud as a lay worker.

Link

My wife and I were married by a lesbian minister so that hit a little close to home. :) That being said, I don't see why private organizations like churches shouldn't be allowed to discriminate based on whatever terms they choose to set. If the Red Head Association of Canada doesn't want to let me join because I have brown hair, so be it. I will form the Brown Hair Association of Canada and not let them join my little club! :tng:

HorhayAtAMD said:
My wife and I were married by a lesbian minister so that hit a little close to home. :) That being said, I don't see why private organizations like churches shouldn't be allowed to discriminate based on whatever terms they choose to set. If the Red Head Association of Canada doesn't want to let me join because I have brown hair, so be it. I will form the Brown Hair Association of Canada and not let them join my little club! :tng:

I agree totally. The same can be said for sports, clubs like you mentioned and other segregated activities. Would you buy make-up from the Avonman?

A friend of mine was married by a lesbian minister too, she got drunk at the reception, and her "partner" went around telling everyone she's not really like that, she diabetic!! It was pretty funny. :D

(sigh).
The minister is a joke. The minister in that story will be very surprised when they meet God someday. :-/ It's worse to teach people that sin is good, than to never teach them what good is.

From the story:
Stroud wants the appeals panel to consider that Methodist law, known as the Book of Discipline, “calls us a church to stand against every form of discrimination” and “treat all people as equally loved by God.”

Discriminating against people for their sinful behavoir is not a bad thing. Just look at the Catholic Church and the lawsuits brought against it for the sexual deviancy of some of its priests. The fact remains that homosexuality is a sin, denounced in both the Old and New Testaments, and that those who practice it unrepentantly are no more fit for ministry than, say, a minister who cheats on his wife, or who steals from the church, or lies habitually, etc.

Ignoring part of the Bible in order to let this person be a Minister is simply odd to me.

While I may not be a Christian it is my understanding that Homosexuality is not something God adores. If the woman was Homosexual but not living in the lifestyle I can see where there would be some concern but she is actively working against the teacing of the Bible, isn't she?

If she were Buddhist it would be clearer, homosexuality is not a sin and can be practiced among the laeity, but if you are a Priest or a Monk 100% celibacy is required. She would be cast from the Monastery or Defrocked.

Interesting that this church has an appeals process at all. I grew up in a Christian church but it was not part of a large body like this or the Catholic church.

Forum List

Back