Lesbian minister will challenge defrocking

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Said1, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Link

2. HorhayAtAMD

HorhayAtAMD Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    My wife and I were married by a lesbian minister so that hit a little close to home. :) That being said, I don't see why private organizations like churches shouldn't be allowed to discriminate based on whatever terms they choose to set. If the Red Head Association of Canada doesn't want to let me join because I have brown hair, so be it. I will form the Brown Hair Association of Canada and not let them join my little club! :tng:

3. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    I agree totally. The same can be said for sports, clubs like you mentioned and other segregated activities. Would you buy make-up from the Avonman?

A friend of mine was married by a lesbian minister too, she got drunk at the reception, and her "partner" went around telling everyone she's not really like that, she diabetic!! It was pretty funny. :D

4. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    (sigh).
    The minister is a joke. The minister in that story will be very surprised when they meet God someday. :-/ It's worse to teach people that sin is good, than to never teach them what good is.

5. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    From the story:
    Discriminating against people for their sinful behavoir is not a bad thing. Just look at the Catholic Church and the lawsuits brought against it for the sexual deviancy of some of its priests. The fact remains that homosexuality is a sin, denounced in both the Old and New Testaments, and that those who practice it unrepentantly are no more fit for ministry than, say, a minister who cheats on his wife, or who steals from the church, or lies habitually, etc.

6. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Ignoring part of the Bible in order to let this person be a Minister is simply odd to me.

While I may not be a Christian it is my understanding that Homosexuality is not something God adores. If the woman was Homosexual but not living in the lifestyle I can see where there would be some concern but she is actively working against the teacing of the Bible, isn't she?

If she were Buddhist it would be clearer, homosexuality is not a sin and can be practiced among the laeity, but if you are a Priest or a Monk 100% celibacy is required. She would be cast from the Monastery or Defrocked.

Interesting that this church has an appeals process at all. I grew up in a Christian church but it was not part of a large body like this or the Catholic church.