Another vacation for President Bush

sagegirl said:
The out to lunch comment was a cheap shot. His delivery of his message is less than convincing....so many times he stops mid sentence and says something like ....look, its tough, we are fighting for the freedom of the Iraqi people......to make the world a safer place...We get it. For you to say that he has eliminated 2 terrorist supporting regimes and neutralized 2 others is a bit of a stretch. He said he was gonna get Bin Laden......some hunting simile like, we're gonna chase him and there wont be any hole for him to hide in....Bin Laden has yet to be found. Remember too that the 9/11 terrorists all had Saudi connections, which in fact tied them more closely than to Afghanistan, and there is evidence that there is still a strong terrorist connection with the Saudis, we have not address that. We have not seen any action on North Korea, seems like a non-issue, or Iran, Pakistan, and India. Nuclear proliferation is as big a threat as terrorism and needs to be addressed.

I can agree with the saudis. But i believe the plan is too establish a democracy in the center of the middle East and then dictate to the other countries what the deal is. (IRan, Saudi, Syria)

The present economy is a false indicator of whats to come. We have huge debt, federal, and personal, as well as budget deficits that increase both of these over the next ten years. We are living high on the spoils of this future debt.

I dont believe so. In our history, debt has never been the major cause of recessions. Clinton had a very low deficit and yet at the end of his term we were heading into a recession. The government opperates on ficticious money. We have a gold reserve but we spend way more then is sitting there. We think debt is bad because in our personal lives we cant operate with debt. We cant buy a house, we cant buy a car, we cant pay bills, etc. The government operates under debt without severe hinderance. The tax cuts were meant to restart the economy and get people spending again, which they did. The only way you get out of a recession is to get consumer confidence back. If consumers have more money they regain confidence to purchase stuff. With more stuff being bought, more people are employed. More people employed generates more tax revenues which are now reducing the deficit. ITs a good plan that takes patience to realize. Alot of people want the quick fix and that never works in economic sectors.

Severe budget cuts have occurred in education, enviornmental, and cultural areas, we havent seen a balanced budget yet.

Budget cuts DO NOT mean they get no money. It just means they get less money then they were already getting. IMO that is a very good thing and we need more of it. Government agencies DO NOT know how to "budget" themselves. They simply bank on getting more funding the following year to pay for whatever they need. They have no idea what it takes to run a business. With expenses going against income, government run programs often have expenses that FAR exceed their income. Budget cuts will wake them up to this little reality that money does not grow on trees. It is taken from the private sector.

Enough
My opinion is that Bush has a set of priorities that serve some but not most. Sure we want freedom and dignity for the Iraqi people and we want to rid the world of terrorism, but there are many people who suffer, some are starving and some are fighting, lots of it going on....but our actions in Iraq are out of balance with our involvement elsewhere. Get it? We havent achieved our goals, stated or concealed, (the Downing Street Memo) and the fighting and dying will continue until we have. It does seem inappropriate that with all this going on Bush takes time off......a vacation.

Bush's priorities cant serve most by definition. Everyone wants something completely different. Some want alittle of this and some want alittle of that. So he does what he thinks is best for the country regardless of the so called polls.

A vacation is alittle misleading. Bush is in crawford but he is by no means on vacation. No more then the senators and congressmen are on vacation right now. Bush is still being briefed with daily presidential information. He still has visited with foreign leaders and dealt with domestic issues. Think of it not as a vacation but more like an employee that works from home on their laptop. Except his work comes to him.

A President goes on what is called a "Working Vacation"....something Liberals have a hard time understanding...since they are on vacation 24/7 and their main focus is protesting...even though I suppose this could qualify as a full time job! :scratch:

insein said:
. We have a gold reserve but we spend way more then is sitting there. We think debt is bad because in our personal lives we cant operate with debt. We cant buy a house, we cant buy a car, we cant pay bills, etc.
We are not on a gold standard, we are way over the "value" of the gold. Our personal credit is a problem....we dont just owe for housing and cars, the problem is multiple credit cards and owing on all of them. More money is made "on money" than on commerce, its big business.

insein said:
Budget cuts DO NOT mean they get no money. It just means they get less money then they were already getting. IMO that is a very good thing and we need more of it. Government agencies DO NOT know how to "budget" themselves. They simply bank on getting more funding the following year to pay for whatever they need. They have no idea what it takes to run a business. With expenses going against income, government run programs often have expenses that FAR exceed their income. Budget cuts will wake them up to this little reality that money does not grow on trees. It is taken from the private sector.
No doubt there is alot of waste....but what does that say about the new transportation bill that Bush just signed...full of glut.

sagegirl said:
We are not on a gold standard, we are way over the "value" of the gold. Our personal credit is a problem....we dont just owe for housing and cars, the problem is multiple credit cards and owing on all of them. More money is made "on money" than on commerce, its big business.

No doubt there is alot of waste....but what does that say about the new transportation bill that Bush just signed...full of glut.

And people's inability to say "no, I can't afford this so I won't buy it" is President Bush's fault?

sagegirl said:
We are not on a gold standard, we are way over the "value" of the gold. Our personal credit is a problem....we dont just owe for housing and cars, the problem is multiple credit cards and owing on all of them.
Sounds like a personal problem then.
More money is made "on money" than on commerce, its big business.
It's called interest. It why banks give loans so new businesses can start up and old ones can stay in business over periods of poor cash flow. It's a good thing.

rtwngAvngr said:
Sounds like a personal problem then.

It's called interest. It why banks give loans so new businesses can start up and old ones can stay in business over periods of poor cash flow. It's a good thing.

I pay my credit card off each month and own my home (no mortgage), dont owe anybody anything. The credit card people refer to us as dead beats.
Interest......so what does that say when foreign "interests" buy our bonds. When they lose "interest" and pull out their investments to serve their "interests" elseshere, where does that leave us?. Our economy suffers, it is happening and as the Euro rises and foreign investors pull their money out and our trade deficit soars. We are trying to keep ahead of all of this but the comfort zone is narrowing and it doesnt need much impetus to all come crashing down. Its like the weather.....too many variables to make accurate predictions but unlike the weather we can alter trends that could adversely affect the outcome.

sagegirl said:
I pay my credit card off each month and own my home (no mortgage), dont owe anybody anything. The credit card people refer to us as dead beats.
Interest......so what does that say when foreign "interests" buy our bonds. When they lose "interest" and pull out their investments to serve their "interests" elseshere, where does that leave us?. Our economy suffers, it is happening and as the Euro rises and foreign investors pull their money out and our trade deficit soars. We are trying to keep ahead of all of this but the comfort zone is narrowing and it doesnt need much impetus to all come crashing down. Its like the weather.....too many variables to make accurate predictions but unlike the weather we can alter trends that could adversely affect the outcome.

Good for you on your zero debt situation.

The rest of your post is just negativism.

What course should we alter to affect your "sky is falling" outlook?

The banks want to buy the future, let them, what are you gonna do with it?

Forum List

Back