Another tariff failure

Rural Pa. supported trump heavily in 2016 and now the hardwood sales to China are down 43%. There is no free money for them like the corn and soybean farmers are getting and they can`t switch to another crop.
What Trump has done for the Maine lobster industry he`s done for the Pa. timber industry.

Pennsylvania Republicans: Tariffs bringing 'incredible challenges' for hardwood lumber companies

If tariffs don’t work, then why is China using them?

Retaliation. Simple enough.

Tariff's harm importers in the country the tariff's are assessed in, and exporters in the countries that ship to that country.

So U.S. tariff's harm Chinese exporters(reduced business) and American businesses and consumers(who pay the tariff's)
Chinese tariff's harm American exporters(farmers, mills, Boeing, auto companies) and Chinese businesses and consumers(who pay the Chinese tariffs)

China has ALWAYS had tariffs against us you jackass. How is someone as stupid as you, capable of feeding yourself?

I find it ironic that left-wingers now are against taxes.

Here they are, correctly, putting taxes on buying and selling with other countries is bad.

Yet, in any other context, you'd think taxes never have a negative effect.

Last edited:
Rural Pa. supported trump heavily in 2016 and now the hardwood sales to China are down 43%. There is no free money for them like the corn and soybean farmers are getting and they can`t switch to another crop.
What Trump has done for the Maine lobster industry he`s done for the Pa. timber industry.

Pennsylvania Republicans: Tariffs bringing 'incredible challenges' for hardwood lumber companies

If tariffs don’t work, then why is China using them?

Retaliation. Simple enough.

Tariff's harm importers in the country the tariff's are assessed in, and exporters in the countries that ship to that country.

So U.S. tariff's harm Chinese exporters(reduced business) and American businesses and consumers(who pay the tariff's)
Chinese tariff's harm American exporters(farmers, mills, Boeing, auto companies) and Chinese businesses and consumers(who pay the Chinese tariffs)

So you want to just allow China to put tariffs on the US and not do anything about it?

When did I say that?

America and China- before the trade war- both put tariffs on imported products. What changed is that Trump unilaterally raised tariffs on specific Chinese goods- yes to counter unfair Chinese competition- and of course China retaliated by raising their tariffs by a large amount.

American farmers have been harmed by the trade war- though the government handouts have helped some- American farmers are losing market share to Australia and Brazil that they may never get back.

Chinese companies have been hurt too.

Remember how Trump told you that Trade Wars are easy?

“When a country (USA) is losing many billions of dollars on trade with virtually every country it does business with, trade wars are good, and easy to win,” Trump tweeted Friday morning. “When we are down $100 billion with a certain country and they get cute, don’t trade anymore – we win big. It’s easy!”

So far it hasn't been good or easy.

It’s only been bad for people who rely on communists to buy their products. Don’t depend on communists for your livelihood, simple as that.

I'm starting to think this board is filled with Chinese spybots.....

They are checking on your every click.......
Well...what should I think when people here are defending China's unfair trade practices....and intellectual property theft....

Who here has defended any of China's unfair trade policies?

Pointing out that the Trade War is hurting Americans is not defending China.

How is it hurting Americans? Buy local

If you drastically increase the cost of goods.... that hurts the American people.

If I can't afford stuff anymore, because the cost is drastically higher, then my standard of living goes down.

Well...what should I think when people here are defending China's unfair trade practices....and intellectual property theft....

If you drastically increase the cost of goods.... that hurts the American people.

If I can't afford stuff anymore, because the cost is drastically higher, then my standard of living goes down.
Nothing is drastically higher except for things the government taxes like California Gasoline...where do you get the word Drastically from? Over reaction is a mental disorder....

With high tariffs, the cost of importation makes return of manufacturing to OUR shores more likely, which helps the people employed there, which helps their local communities, which helps all Americans.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Hardwood lumber is a valuable resource. Why not get the absolute top dollar instead of shipping it to freaking China at a loss?

Trump has not yet decided which American industry to destroy after agriculture. He has his eye on putting American dealers of European cars out of business, but he wants to slap tariffs on wine, motorcycles, and many other thriving industries. GM says that they have already raised their cost by a billion dollars per year. Maybe he should go after shoes and clothing next. So many industries to disrupt and destroy; so little time.

Nothing is drastically higher except for things the government taxes like California Gasoline...where do you get the word Drastically from? Over reaction is a mental disorder....

I was speaking generally.

If you increase tariffs on all imports, the result will be that everything will cost more.
If everything costs more, the result will be people will be able to afford less, and the standard of living will decline.

If you doubt this, then I would ask you this question....

Why do people want sanctions against China? Why do you support sanctions against Russia? Why do we have sanctions against any country? Why have sanctions against Iran?

If preventing the importing of goods was a net benefit to the economy.... then by that logic we are directly boosting the economy of every evil country in the world.

Right? Functionally, protectionist tariffs (driving up the price so that it is too expensive to import goods) and sanctions (banning the import of goods), they are functionally identical.

So why is it that we preventing imports to ourselves, and banning imports into other countries, is supposed to have opposite effects?

Why do we prevent imported goods into Russia supposedly to harm their economy, and then we prevent imports into our country supposedly to benefit our economy?

This is contradictory ideology. One of these two situations can't be true. Either we're intentionally boosting the economy of all our enemies.... or tariffs are not a boost to our economy.

Hardwood lumber is rare and expensive. That word can easily be sold to almost any solid wood manufacturing company.

If you increase tariffs on all imports, the result will be that everything will cost more.
But not as much as was predicted...are you seeing drastic increases in Chinese made goods?...their Solar panels are still hundreds of dollars below ours and dito for electronics...just calm down and root for America in this conflict will ya?....for a change...support America over China....

But not as much as was predicted...are you seeing drastic increases in Chinese made goods?...their Solar panels are still hundreds of dollars below ours and dito for electronics...just calm down and root for America in this conflict will ya?....for a change...support America over China....
Actually, no, in the case of a competitive market, increases in tariffs will see compensation in other costs and lower profits.

The reason we have not seen drastic increases, is because the tariffs have had virtually no effect yet.

This is good. But it also isn't doing anything you seem to think either.

Trump has not yet decided which American industry to destroy after agriculture. He has his eye on putting American dealers of European cars out of business, but he wants to slap tariffs on wine, motorcycles, and many other thriving industries. GM says that they have already raised their cost by a billion dollars per year. Maybe he should go after shoes and clothing next. So many industries to disrupt and destroy; so little time.

Bill already destroyed the clothing and shoe industry, would you like to try again?

Bill already destroyed the clothing and shoe industry, would you like to try again?

I just left Walmart, where I bought a HP 952 XL set of 4 color ink cartridges for $100.67, made in China. Thank you, Donny Trump.

I just left Walmart, where I bought a HP 952 XL set of 4 color ink cartridges for $100.67, made in China. Thank you, Donny Trump.

So your bragging you bought sweat shop labor at Walmart?

If you want ink for your printer, dear, it is going to be made in either one of the following countries: China, Singapore, Ireland or the Czech Republic.You are given no other choice in the matter, nor are you even allowed to open the package to determine which of those countries produced those ink cartridges that your need for your particular printer. Try your guilt trip on someone who cares.

If you want ink for your printer, dear, it is going to be made in either one of the following countries: China, Singapore, Ireland or the Czech Republic.You are given no other choice in the matter, nor are you even allowed to open the package to determine which of those countries produced those ink cartridges that your need for your particular printer. Try your guilt trip on someone who cares.

What guilt trip? Just pointing out you support sweat shop labor and don't want to pay for higher labor cost.

Kind of scummy dont you think?

What guilt trip? Just pointing out you support sweat shop labor and don't want to pay for higher labor cost.

Kind of scummy dont you think?

Right. Me, and all 250 million Walmart shoppers, as well as 1 in every 7 Americans who are on food stamps are all scum.

Forum List

Back