Another success story for Home Schooling

One again we see the value of home schooling in raising well rounded, articulate and socially adjusted children. More evidence of why home schools should be able to do whatever they want

The sickening danger of home-schooling

David and Louise Turpin ran a sickening school in Perris, California.

It had just six students, all of them children of the school's sole teacher (Louise) and its principal (David), and all of them held against their will — shackled, tortured, and horribly malnourished in their putrid family home, which doubled as their school and which they shared with seven former students, older offspring of the same couple, who were treated in the same appalling way.

And for the nitwits that want taxpayers to pay for these religious whack home schoolers this is the cautionary tale. There is a concrete reason you go to public school and get socialized. You get to find out what normal and healthy is and what a religious fundy hellhole is. Why David Koresh was a pedophile psychopath and not a christ-like servant.

It is beyond evil to keep children locked away from the world like that and brainwash them in a closed environment. This is what North Korea is on a gigantic scale.

A student is 100 times more likely to be sexually abused in a school than by a priest.

Where is the media on this?

There are 7 million plus teachers in the US. How many priests are there and how many people are Catholic?

Another example of people using stats that do not understand them

The point is sexual abuse by educators in the US is an epidemic. Deny it and you're a liar
Not as pandemic as sexual abuse by religious leaders is.

Complete unadulterated bullshit

Homeschool parents do not need to submit academic assessments or show evidence that they are educating their children. There is no process to ensure that their children are involved in the community, nothing to ensure that they have contact with anyone at all.

The solution is relatively easy: Force contact with mandatory reporters. States could require annual assessments by a certified teacher and annual doctor’s visits, creating at least two opportunities for a trained professional to recognize abuse.
Liar.

Five areas of academic pursuit were measured. In reading, the average home-schooler scored at the 89th percentile; language, 84th percentile; math, 84th percentile; science, 86th percentile; and social studies, 84th percentile. In the core studies (reading, language and math), the average home-schooler scored at the 88th percentile.

HOME-SCHOOLING: Outstanding results on national tests

What does that have to do with homeschools that are abject failures?

What do you intend to do about them?

1. Set up parent training courses to ensure they are adequately equipped to be the best teachers they can be?

2. Supply home schoolers with top notch modern equipment so even the poorest parents can compete with government schools?

3. Set up scholarships so home schooled kids can go to college?

--or--

4. Whine on an internet board about the few bad examples of home schoolers while ignoring the majority that are very successful?
I think home schoolers should have access to all facilities and resources of the local school. Also training for parents

However, their children should be subject to the same aptitude tests as other children. If they are not cutting it......the home school fails

Homeschool parents do not need to submit academic assessments or show evidence that they are educating their children. There is no process to ensure that their children are involved in the community, nothing to ensure that they have contact with anyone at all.

The solution is relatively easy: Force contact with mandatory reporters. States could require annual assessments by a certified teacher and annual doctor’s visits, creating at least two opportunities for a trained professional to recognize abuse.
Liar.

Five areas of academic pursuit were measured. In reading, the average home-schooler scored at the 89th percentile; language, 84th percentile; math, 84th percentile; science, 86th percentile; and social studies, 84th percentile. In the core studies (reading, language and math), the average home-schooler scored at the 88th percentile.

How many homeschool students were tested in that group that were using homeschooling as a dodge of mandatory attendance laws and never completed their high school diploma?

Self-selection bias.
Tell us. Funny how I couldn’t find any study showing public schools outperform homeschools.

Do you want a valid comparison? Test all homeschool students and compare the results against the public and private school students who are also required to take the tests. Otherwise, there is no valid comparison because of the inconsistent data that is being used.

As I said, homeschooled students SHOULD be getting better scores. Unfortunately you method of trying to do that is flawed.

My two biggest concerns about homeschooling were the use of home schooling to dodge mandatory attendance laws, and the parents who fail at homeschool and then dump their kids back into public school after missing years of any quality education. Teachers are forced to make up for that time in addition to all of their other duties. I have seen far too many cases of each, up close and personally!
The fact remains that, for whatever reason, Home-schooled children do better than kids in public schools. Same with private Christian schools. They are way ahead of kids in public schools. I went to a Christian school. By the time I finished 10th grade, I was better educated than 12th grade kids in public school. Fact. I know this because I was forced to go to public school. They weren't teaching anything I didn't already know. So I dropped out and joined the Military. Smartest decision I ever made. I also did well enough to graduate second in A-school and choose where I wanted to be posted, thanks to my 10th grade education.
Not relevant to those who are failing

Liar.

1. Set up parent training courses to ensure they are adequately equipped to be the best teachers they can be?

2. Supply home schoolers with top notch modern equipment so even the poorest parents can compete with government schools?

--or--

4. Whine on an internet board about the few bad examples of home schoolers while ignoring the majority that are very successful?
I think home schoolers should have access to all facilities and resources of the local school. Also training for parents

However, their children should be subject to the same aptitude tests as other children. If they are not cutting it......the home school fails
Half the high schoolers in Los Angeles can’t read or write, Dufus.

Liar.

How many homeschool students were tested in that group that were using homeschooling as a dodge of mandatory attendance laws and never completed their high school diploma?

Self-selection bias.
Tell us. Funny how I couldn’t find any study showing public schools outperform homeschools.

Do you want a valid comparison? Test all homeschool students and compare the results against the public and private school students who are also required to take the tests. Otherwise, there is no valid comparison because of the inconsistent data that is being used.

As I said, homeschooled students SHOULD be getting better scores. Unfortunately you method of trying to do that is flawed.

My two biggest concerns about homeschooling were the use of home schooling to dodge mandatory attendance laws, and the parents who fail at homeschool and then dump their kids back into public school after missing years of any quality education. Teachers are forced to make up for that time in addition to all of their other duties. I have seen far too many cases of each, up close and personally!
The fact remains that, for whatever reason, Home-schooled children do better than kids in public schools. Same with private Christian schools. They are way ahead of kids in public schools. I went to a Christian school. By the time I finished 10th grade, I was better educated than 12th grade kids in public school. Fact. I know this because I was forced to go to public school. They weren't teaching anything I didn't already know. So I dropped out and joined the Military. Smartest decision I ever made. I also did well enough to graduate second in A-school and choose where I wanted to be posted, thanks to my 10th grade education.

That's called anecdotal information, but I am glad it worked out for you. I took my high school diploma, went to A-school and then managed a 4-year college scholarship and commission. So who wins the comparison? Who cares?

Now, what about the kid who was struggling in my 9th grade Algebra classes and had never passed a math class in her life because she was blessed with a learning disability? Her parents took her out of school to homeschool her. Neither parent graduated from high school. (Big surprise!) They just got tired of making her get out of bed and go to school every day. How well do you think her education stacks up against yours or mine? We'll never know because she never took those tests that are being touted about the wonders of homeschooling.

Liar.

--or--

Oh, but I bet you do just fine in Spanish!

It's being reported most of the children didn't know what a police officer was, didn't know what medication, medicine, or pills were.

The preppers around the country must be furious. These people actually LIVE the pure prepper life, totally separate from society, while preppers only dream of doing that.

It's being reported most of the children didn't know what a police officer was, didn't know what medication, medicine, or pills were.

The preppers around the country must be furious. These people actually LIVE the pure prepper life, totally separate from society, while preppers only dream of doing that.

Good grief.....:uhoh3:

And for the nitwits that want taxpayers to pay for these religious whack home schoolers this is the cautionary tale. There is a concrete reason you go to public school and get socialized. You get to find out what normal and healthy is and what a religious fundy hellhole is. Why David Koresh was a pedophile psychopath and not a christ-like servant.

It is beyond evil to keep children locked away from the world like that and brainwash them in a closed environment. This is what North Korea is on a gigantic scale.

A student is 100 times more likely to be sexually abused in a school than by a priest.

There are 7 million plus teachers in the US. How many priests are there and how many people are Catholic?

The point is sexual abuse by educators in the US is an epidemic. Deny it and you're a liar

Liar.

Self-selection bias.

That's called anecdotal information, but I am glad it worked out for you. I took my high school diploma, went to A-school and then managed a 4-year college scholarship and commission. So who wins the comparison? Who cares?

Now, what about the kid who was struggling in my 9th grade Algebra classes and had never passed a math class in her life because she was blessed with a learning disability? Her parents took her out of school to homeschool her. Neither parent graduated from high school. (Big surprise!) They just got tired of making her get out of bed and go to school every day. How well do you think her education stacks up against yours or mine? We'll never know because she never took those tests that are being touted about the wonders of homeschooling.
None of what you say changes the fact that I was two years ahead of those in the public school system. That is not anecdotal information. It's a fact. Compared to what I was used to, public school was a hell hole of dysfunctional, illiterate criminals. I couldn't leave fast enough. This was in 1984. It's worse now.

Self-selection bias.

None of what you say changes the fact that I was two years ahead of those in the public school system. That is not anecdotal information. It's a fact. Compared to what I was used to, public school was a hell hole of dysfunctional, illiterate criminals. I couldn't leave fast enough. This was in 1984. It's worse now.
Good for you...were you ahead in all subjects? Or did your parents focus on one or two subjects more? Did you feel more successful when you were one on one with a parent/teacher as opposed to being in a class with 1 teacher and up to 32 other students of all ability levels and desires?

Liar.

--or--

At what level? Remember that public school is the default position....parents who "have other things to do besides care about their kids' education" are going to put them in public school...how do you think that affects the others there?

It's very true...but then again, it's been easy for religious pedophiles because so many....so many of their followers look the other way or excuse it or point fingers at other groups like public school teachers. :eusa_whistle:

Liar.

--or--

Schools are held accountable for their performance

home schools are not

Self-selection bias.

Nobody is questioning that Home Schools can be successful
But what about those who are failures or are like the Turpins

Liar.

--or--

home schools are not
Who got fired for the 54% graduation rate?
Who got fired for pissing away $1.3B on iPads?

--or--

home schools are not
Who got fired for the 54% graduation rate?
Who got fired for pissing away $1.3B on iPads?
Has nothing to do with poor performing or dangerous home schools

Forum List

Back