Common core math problems ..

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Come on someone here at USMB can help me figure out my first grade home work...

What's the answer to these two simple common core math questions?

CIMG0172.JPG

p9Xelau.jpg

Don't know the answer?

It's very cool and a good idea to give kids the confidence to think about numbers, not just add/subtract/multiply/divide them by rote.

Both of these word problems help kids identify necessary information to solve a problem. There's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
Don't know the answer?

It's very cool and a good idea to give kids the confidence to think about numbers, not just add/subtract/multiply/divide them by rote.

Both of these word problems help kids identify necessary information to solve a problem. There's nothing wrong with that.
That's the self esteem bs....We lead the world in it.....Just learn the math......if you're wrong, you're wrong......nothing wrong with the truth

Don't know the answer?

Give me the answer

Don't know the answer?

identify necessary information? You mean like asking the teacher to fill in all the holes?

View attachment 172410

View attachment 172411

You silly thing. You left out part of the question.You will never figure it out until you read the entire thing. Ask your teacher for help.
Don't know the answer?

That's the self esteem bs....We lead the world in it.....Just learn the math......if you're wrong, you're wrong......nothing wrong with the truth
This has nothing to do with students' feelings. It's about giving them confidence to really understanding how and why numbers work. That is what allows students to actually DO higher math when the time comes. Some students learn better when they can visualize or manipulate the numbers, and there are many paths to the same right answer. Numbers can actually be fun when approached with curiosity and a spirit of exploration.

I never thought I'd say it. I think some of the new ways of teaching math are pretty darned good.

Don't know the answer?

identify necessary information? You mean like asking the teacher to fill in all the holes?
No I mean like figuring out for themselves that they don't have enough information to answer the question.

Don't know the answer?

Give me the answer
For both, the answer is "Not enough information."

View attachment 172410

View attachment 172411

You silly thing. You left out part of the question.You will never figure it out until you read the entire thing. Ask your teacher for help.
Don't know the answer?

This has nothing to do with students' feelings. It's about giving them confidence to really understanding how and why numbers work. That is what allows students to actually DO higher math when the time comes. Some students learn better when they can visualize or manipulate the numbers, and there are many paths to the same right answer. Numbers can actually be fun when approached with curiosity and a spirit of exploration.

I never thought I'd say it. I think some of the new ways of teaching math are pretty darned good.

New techniques are fine....I have no issue, but if they do stuff like 2+2=5 and do not say it's wrong, then it is dumb....But these word problems are not very good and confusing.

Don't know the answer?

Doesn't it frustrate the kids when key pieces of information are left out possibly making them feel like they are dumb?

Don't know the answer?

No I mean like figuring out for themselves that they don't have enough information to answer the question.
gotcha

Don't know the answer?

To the contrary ... Mathematics is probably the most enjoyable school of academics.
Probably because it is definitive ... And not based in, nor clouded by subjective opinion and absolute hogwash.

There is a correct answer in mathematics ... And everyone can come to the exact same correct answer.
There is absolutely no need to pollute mathematics with that kind of garbage.

Question 1:
Let x be number of cups of food Rusty eats.

Answer: Midnight eats |4 - x| more or fewer cups of food than does Rusty.​

Question 2:
Let x be the quantity of coins Erica bought.
Given/premise: Erica had 6 coins when she went to the coin show.
Assumption: Erica did not sell any of her coins.

Answer: Erica now has 6 + x coins.
Why did I use absolute value for the first equation and not for the second? Simply to illustrate a different way of handling the answer to the problem.

The fact that the questions, as illustrated, do not provide enough information to yield a numeric answer does not mean there is no way to answer the questions.

We had common core in Morocco so did most countries, and we scored always higher than american students....even when we came here and we took math, the average of us scored A+ easily, so did so many of my friends from Asia and Europe while american students did struggle. Is that right path to get students interested in math and encourage more to pursue higher math.

Don't know the answer?

Give me the answer
For both, the answer is "Not enough information."

At least you gave me an answer and the teacher would of gave you an F

We had common core in Morocco so did most countries, and we scored always higher than american students....even when we came here and we took math, the average of us scored A+ easily, so did so many of my friends from Asia and Europe while american students did struggle. Is that right path to get students interested in math and encourage more to pursue higher math.

American students are trained to be mindless Democrats, so beating them in math is no big deal

New Topics

Forum List

Back