Another success story for Home Schooling

Homeschool parents do not need to submit academic assessments or show evidence that they are educating their children. There is no process to ensure that their children are involved in the community, nothing to ensure that they have contact with anyone at all.

The solution is relatively easy: Force contact with mandatory reporters. States could require annual assessments by a certified teacher and annual doctor’s visits, creating at least two opportunities for a trained professional to recognize abuse.
Liar.

Five areas of academic pursuit were measured. In reading, the average home-schooler scored at the 89th percentile; language, 84th percentile; math, 84th percentile; science, 86th percentile; and social studies, 84th percentile. In the core studies (reading, language and math), the average home-schooler scored at the 88th percentile.

HOME-SCHOOLING: Outstanding results on national tests

What does that have to do with homeschools that are abject failures?

What do you intend to do about them?

1. Set up parent training courses to ensure they are adequately equipped to be the best teachers they can be?

2. Supply home schoolers with top notch modern equipment so even the poorest parents can compete with government schools?

3. Set up scholarships so home schooled kids can go to college?

--or--

4. Whine on an internet board about the few bad examples of home schoolers while ignoring the majority that are very successful?
I think home schoolers should have access to all facilities and resources of the local school. Also training for parents

However, their children should be subject to the same aptitude tests as other children. If they are not cutting it......the home school fails
I have no problem with the kids being assessed. Are we then going to hold government schools to the same standard and fail them if their kids don't keep up?

Homeschool parents do not need to submit academic assessments or show evidence that they are educating their children. There is no process to ensure that their children are involved in the community, nothing to ensure that they have contact with anyone at all.

The solution is relatively easy: Force contact with mandatory reporters. States could require annual assessments by a certified teacher and annual doctor’s visits, creating at least two opportunities for a trained professional to recognize abuse.
Liar.

Five areas of academic pursuit were measured. In reading, the average home-schooler scored at the 89th percentile; language, 84th percentile; math, 84th percentile; science, 86th percentile; and social studies, 84th percentile. In the core studies (reading, language and math), the average home-schooler scored at the 88th percentile.

1. Set up parent training courses to ensure they are adequately equipped to be the best teachers they can be?

2. Supply home schoolers with top notch modern equipment so even the poorest parents can compete with government schools?

--or--

4. Whine on an internet board about the few bad examples of home schoolers while ignoring the majority that are very successful?
I think home schoolers should have access to all facilities and resources of the local school. Also training for parents

However, their children should be subject to the same aptitude tests as other children. If they are not cutting it......the home school fails
I have no problem with the kids being assessed. Are we then going to hold government schools to the same standard and fail them if their kids don't keep up?
We already do
They undergo testing and certification

home school does not

maybe if progressives didn't decide schools should double as indoctrination centers people wouldn't have to resort to Private Schools/Homeschooling.
You know...public schools are the default position...they have to be everything for everyone.....If it's not for you and your kids, make other arrangements.

They are not "Default" anymore. Go to most schools and ask for a breakdown of teacher political affiliation, and see how "default" they are.

And no, I don't want to impose MY views on Public Education, what should happen is up to grade 8 or so worry about the basics, from 8-12 expand a bit more but be neutral as possible, and let them become hippy dippy lefties in college like in the old days.
Public school most certainly IS the default position. You don't like it...private school or homeschool. And your comment "go to most schools and ask for a breakdown of teacher political affiliation" is a fascinating take on your desire to know way too much information about people.
Do you really think that it is appropriate for a school district to gather, file and GIVE OUT that kind of information on their employees?

If you are saying public schools are "default" by which you imply neutral, why shouldn't they have to show they are?

And the whole thing about this thread is "Me hatez teh homseschools" by the OP.
No....school failed you, I see. "default" means, that's the position if parents don't actively take another one.....private or homeschooling.

https://www.quora.com/What-does-default-position-mean

I did just fine in school. And while public school is default, a big reason people don't want to deal with it is the indoctrination they see being done in some of them.

Liar.

--or--

You know that's being done right now....don't you?

A student is 100 times more likely to be sexually abused in a school than by a priest.

Where is the media on this?

There are 7 million plus teachers in the US. How many priests are there and how many people are Catholic?

Another example of people using stats that do not understand them

The point is sexual abuse by educators in the US is an epidemic. Deny it and you're a liar
Not as pandemic as sexual abuse by religious leaders is.

Complete unadulterated bullshit
How many homeschool students were tested in that group that were using homeschooling as a dodge of mandatory attendance laws and never completed their high school diploma?

Self-selection bias.
Tell us. Funny how I couldn’t find any study showing public schools outperform homeschools.

Do you want a valid comparison? Test all homeschool students and compare the results against the public and private school students who are also required to take the tests. Otherwise, there is no valid comparison because of the inconsistent data that is being used.

As I said, homeschooled students SHOULD be getting better scores. Unfortunately you method of trying to do that is flawed.

My two biggest concerns about homeschooling were the use of home schooling to dodge mandatory attendance laws, and the parents who fail at homeschool and then dump their kids back into public school after missing years of any quality education. Teachers are forced to make up for that time in addition to all of their other duties. I have seen far too many cases of each, up close and personally!
The fact remains that, for whatever reason, Home-schooled children do better than kids in public schools. Same with private Christian schools. They are way ahead of kids in public schools. I went to a Christian school. By the time I finished 10th grade, I was better educated than 12th grade kids in public school. Fact. I know this because I was forced to go to public school. They weren't teaching anything I didn't already know. So I dropped out and joined the Military. Smartest decision I ever made. I also did well enough to graduate second in A-school and choose where I wanted to be posted, thanks to my 10th grade education.

That's called anecdotal information, but I am glad it worked out for you. I took my high school diploma, went to A-school and then managed a 4-year college scholarship and commission. So who wins the comparison? Who cares?

Now, what about the kid who was struggling in my 9th grade Algebra classes and had never passed a math class in her life because she was blessed with a learning disability? Her parents took her out of school to homeschool her. Neither parent graduated from high school. (Big surprise!) They just got tired of making her get out of bed and go to school every day. How well do you think her education stacks up against yours or mine? We'll never know because she never took those tests that are being touted about the wonders of homeschooling.
None of what you say changes the fact that I was two years ahead of those in the public school system. That is not anecdotal information. It's a fact. Compared to what I was used to, public school was a hell hole of dysfunctional, illiterate criminals. I couldn't leave fast enough. This was in 1984. It's worse now.

So? My parents were given the option to move me from 5th grade to 7th grade, and even without that, I could have graduated at age 16. Some schools are like that.

I attended a suburban school in the late 70s and it was fine. I taught in a suburban school in Florida 1996-2006 that my oldest two children also attended and it was both good and bad. I taught in military dependents high school that was perfection except for the administration. I then taught in a middle school right off post, and it was a challenge because of all of the poor kids (non-military). I then taught for 3 years in possibly the worst school in these United States, filled with kids whose parents were in prison or just got off the boat from some third world shithole. I spent the next four and a half years in rural high schools and all three were outstanding schools and ranked highly in the state.

You never know what you are going to get. It all depends on the student's efforts.

You know...public schools are the default position...they have to be everything for everyone.....If it's not for you and your kids, make other arrangements.

They are not "Default" anymore. Go to most schools and ask for a breakdown of teacher political affiliation, and see how "default" they are.

And no, I don't want to impose MY views on Public Education, what should happen is up to grade 8 or so worry about the basics, from 8-12 expand a bit more but be neutral as possible, and let them become hippy dippy lefties in college like in the old days.
Public school most certainly IS the default position. You don't like it...private school or homeschool. And your comment "go to most schools and ask for a breakdown of teacher political affiliation" is a fascinating take on your desire to know way too much information about people.
Do you really think that it is appropriate for a school district to gather, file and GIVE OUT that kind of information on their employees?

If you are saying public schools are "default" by which you imply neutral, why shouldn't they have to show they are?

No....school failed you, I see. "default" means, that's the position if parents don't actively take another one.....private or homeschooling.

I did just fine in school. And while public school is default, a big reason people don't want to deal with it is the indoctrination they see being done in some of them.

I keep asking when you people bring up this indoctrination bullshit to provide examples and the only places you can provide are in absolutely liberal shitholes, and nowhere else. Why is that, do you think?

I keep asking when you people bring up this indoctrination bullshit to provide examples and the only places you can provide are in absolutely liberal shitholes, and nowhere else. Why is that, do you think?

Considering I live in a "liberal shithole" It is a topic of concern for me if I eventually have Children.

Considering I live in a "liberal shithole" It is a topic of concern for me if I eventually have Children.

Then I suggest you get to work getting it changed where you live!

Don't expect the rest of us to get the vapors and fall on our fainting couches because you won't stand up and be counted.

Don't expect the rest of us to get the vapors and fall on our fainting couches because you won't stand up and be counted.

How is me discussing it on a message board expecting everyone else to get the vapors about it?

This is a common issue....certain people here complain about conditions where they live...the schools, the PA laws....but they will do nothing to work towards change. And get quite hostile, as you can see, if it is suggested they take action.

This is a common issue....certain people here complain about conditions where they live...the schools, the PA laws....but they will do nothing to work towards change. And get quite hostile, as you can see, if it is suggested they take action.

because "take action" requests are nothing but excuses to not discuss the issue.

This is a message board/discussion board, not a promise to do something about it or shut up board.

How is me discussing it on a message board expecting everyone else to get the vapors about it?
It's called projection.

because "take action" requests are nothing but excuses to not discuss the issue.

This is a message board/discussion board, not a promise to do something about it or shut up board.
No...take action is exactly that....something that requires effort...and time. Imagine if the gays in this country had just sat at their computers and whined about how we were treated as 2nd class citizens and never took action at the state and federal level to get rid of things like DADT and getting marriage equality? Imagine if African Americans in this country has just sat at home and whined about how they were treated by Jim Crow and never took action at the state and federal level to gain voting rights and integration? Imagine if women in this country had just sat at home and whined about not having the vote and never took action at the state and federal level to gain the vote?

No...take action is exactly that....something that requires effort...and time. Imagine if the gays in this country had just sat at their computers and whined about how we were treated as 2nd class citizens and never took action at the state and federal level to get rid of things like DADT and getting marriage equality? Imagine if African Americans in this country has just sat at home and whined about how they were treated by Jim Crow and never took action at the state and federal level to gain voting rights and integration? Imagine if women in this country had just sat at home and whined about not having the vote and never took action at the state and federal level to gain the vote?

Actually most of you relied on others to do the dirty work. showing up with a placard and going "rabble rabble rabble" may make one feel good, but doesn't mean you did anything.

In any event its still nothing more than a ploy by people who can't argue their point effectively to attempt a "game over".

I.e. you signature, and so far only, move.

One again we see the value of home schooling in raising well rounded, articulate and socially adjusted children. More evidence of why home schools should be able to do whatever they want

The sickening danger of home-schooling

David and Louise Turpin ran a sickening school in Perris, California.

It had just six students, all of them children of the school's sole teacher (Louise) and its principal (David), and all of them held against their will — shackled, tortured, and horribly malnourished in their putrid family home, which doubled as their school and which they shared with seven former students, older offspring of the same couple, who were treated in the same appalling way.

That's your pathetic example RW?

Look at Pumpkin Row on here she is just 16 years old , home schooled and would tear you apart for lunch..

One again we see the value of home schooling in raising well rounded, articulate and socially adjusted children. More evidence of why home schools should be able to do whatever they want

It had just six students, all of them children of the school's sole teacher (Louise) and its principal (David), and all of them held against their will — shackled, tortured, and horribly malnourished in their putrid family home, which doubled as their school and which they shared with seven former students, older offspring of the same couple, who were treated in the same appalling way.

Look at Pumpkin Row on here she is just 16 years old , home schooled and would tear you apart for lunch..

Bring it on
I'm a stellar example of the wonders of public school education (Washingtonville HS Class of 74)

I'd show her to be the precocious child she is

Check so you wine and cry you got the rules changed and cry some more no one takes you seriously?

Why is that?

Because you cried so bad?

Bring it on
I'm a stellar example of the wonders of public school education (Washingtonville HS Class of 74)

I read her and know this little kid she will destroy you, hell I don't even want to get on the bad side of Pumpkin Row

She is way to smart, for just being a 16 year old girl. Even I don't like messing with the real deal.

Bring it on

I read her and know this little kid she will destroy you, hell I don't even want to get on the bad side of Pumpkin Row

She is way to smart, for just being a 16 year old girl. Even I don't like messing with the real deal.
Precocious tot unable to run with the big dogs

Rehashing conservative blogs does not a scholar make. Give her time and she will turn into another Political Chic

ROTFLMAO!!!!! Equating faggotry with racial inequality!!!! No one would ever know you were a queer unless you told them.....can't hide skin tint! LMAO!!!!!!

Forum List

Back