And THERE You Have It... Why You're Paying $4+ For A Gallon Of Gas...

I dont consider Obama anything close to a moron even if your conservtive side chaffes at his nomination. In fact, given the repeat that you admitted regarding 04 and 00 it's pretty silly to point a finger at dems while calling for a better candidate, eh?

I realize that many think that throwing Carters name around is supposed to mean something but i just don't subscribe to that silliness. We can point out the flaws of ole Ray gun too. It just so happens that your last two choices is why we find ourselves were we are at today. Don't lecture me about better choices given the jackass you fell hook line and sinker for last time. No one thought W would last a second term either. Seems to me that America is ready to move beyond 20th century politics NOW since we didn't get a chance to in 2000. Please, vote your concious.. But just know that it's pretty laughable for a single W voter to point a single finger at Barack HEUSEIN Obama.

I realize you don't. Obviously. But no, I'd vote for Bush for a 3rd term before I'd vote for Obama.

You seem to not be able to get past the part where voting for one person instead of the other does NOT equate to "falling hook, line and sinker for." Either you are incapable of, or just don't want to differentiate between that and choosing the lesser of two evils. I don't like Bush, and I could string off quite a list of why.

he was still the better choice than Mr Global Warming Alarmist and the stupid elitist that was dumb enough to try to run for office on war record nobody gave a shit about. I didn't agree with his voting in the Senate and I didn't agree with his rather obviously shallow opportunistic politicking. Just like Obama and his preacher of 20 years, Kerry would throw anything under the bus he found politically expedient.

McLame is a doddering old fool. He's still represents less a menace to this nation than Obama.

I'm happy you're swallowing Obama hook, line and sinker. At least you HAVE someone you think is worthy. The one I was leaning toward voting for got defrauded by her own party.

All I can offer you is the use of my flak jacket and helmet. You're going to need them. That shit you've been dishing out the past 7+ years? Should Obama get elected, it's on its way back.:eusa_angel:

You are wrong. My second car in HS was a 78 ltd. A car that turned a three point turn into about6 points. My favorite car thus far has been a 79 Ranchero. I didn't come from a class of people who could afford new cars. Hell, you cant tell me that a 2000+ SUV had a FRAME that was sturdier than one of those iron horse german tanks that came out of the 70s. Indeed, in 90s I was in an auto accident driving a Silverado sport and a pinto, A FUCKING PINTO, ran into my ass putting their windshield against my bumper, sandwiching my truck against some early 80s caddy. This bent MY frame and totaled my truck. The Caddy? a broken tail light and a superficial dent on the bumper.

SUVs were sold to the population for the sake of overblown prediction of oil prices AND via tax incentives. Hell, my own company saw a full round of brand new SUVs after the gov decided to help out auto companies who, rather than provide economically friendly cars as had been desired since the mid 90s, decided to start pumping out road behemoths. Just look at the fucking Hummer, for christs sakes.

Im just not interested in blaming carter or looking for a reason to suck off an oil ceo. Its time to innovate rather than haggle over prices of oil, imho.

Oh man. My condolences, dude. A 78 LTD? I came from a class a people that once I savd up the $400 to pay for it and $35 for PIP insurance, I got a 69 Mercury Montego in 1977.

Two topics I can rant on as long as you can or more. The Hummer is a tactical military vehicle and THAT is what it's good for. I find it completely idiotic to drive one of those things on the street, and where the hell can you park it?

SUV's ruined perfectly good 4-wheel drive vehicles. You used to could buy them ready to go, Once it became cool to have one though, they basically went about turning them into cars so the wipms could have their soft rides, AC and other such superficial crap. If you buy one, you'll speng $5k turning it back into what it was supposed to be.

I realize you don't. Obviously. But no, I'd vote for Bush for a 3rd term before I'd vote for Obama.

You seem to not be able to get past the part where voting for one person instead of the other does NOT equate to "falling hook, line and sinker for." Either you are incapable of, or just don't want to differentiate between that and choosing the lesser of two evils. I don't like Bush, and I could string off quite a list of why.

he was still the better choice than Mr Global Warming Alarmist and the stupid elitist that was dumb enough to try to run for office on war record nobody gave a shit about. I didn't agree with his voting in the Senate and I didn't agree with his rather obviously shallow opportunistic politicking. Just like Obama and his preacher of 20 years, Kerry would throw anything under the bus he found politically expedient.

McLame is a doddering old fool. He's still represents less a menace to this nation than Obama.

I'm happy you're swallowing Obama hook, line and sinker. At least you HAVE someone you think is worthy. The one I was leaning toward voting for got defrauded by her own party.

All I can offer you is the use of my flak jacket and helmet. You're going to need them. That shit you've been dishing out the past 7+ years? Should Obama get elected, it's on its way back.:eusa_angel:

CLEARLY, he was not the better choice this side of his tenure in office. Lotsa W sticker having peeps might wanna whitewash the notion of their two previous votes but im just not buying it.

And yes, im looking forward to a president who can speak without widespread American embarrassment. The FACT is, he can't do any worse than the blood W sticker fans are trying to wipe off of their hands.

and, please do return the favor.. If Obama crashes and burns like Bush did i'll hold him to the same fire I would otherwise. Im not one that has a problem throwing worthless politicians under the bus.

Oh man. My condolences, dude. A 78 LTD? I came from a class a people that once I savd up the $400 to pay for it and $35 for PIP insurance, I got a 69 Mercury Montego in 1977.

Two topics I can rant on as long as you can or more. The Hummer is a tactical military vehicle and THAT is what it's good for. I find it completely idiotic to drive one of those things on the street, and where the hell can you park it?

SUV's ruined perfectly good 4-wheel drive vehicles. You used to could buy them ready to go, Once it became cool to have one though, they basically went about turning them into cars so the wipms could have their soft rides, AC and other such superficial crap. If you buy one, you'll speng $5k turning it back into what it was supposed to be.

I recall in 95, my freshman year of college, the only real SUVs around were Broncos and the like. I mean, I LIKE the body style and would love to see the same option on a frame that wasnt so heavy. Hell, I WANT to see big giant scooby do type vans with teardrop back windows and murals on the side. But, the auto companies were not making wise decisions because they knew they'd get bailed out. Instead of predicting where we are now, they said fuckit and took the money and ran. Hummers? I STILL flip off hummers when I see em. Yet, truth be told, if they were not such gas hogs and were on a frame that didnt' require such pathetic gas mileage I'd think they were cool as shit. I WANT to see an age in America that reflects the good ole says of route 66 where Americans traveled and enjoyed the fruits of our culture. This is where the innovation comes into play.

OBTW .... you ain't SHIT 'til you drive a 78 Gremlin painted it 3 different colors of primer.:lol:

HA!

fair enough.. but, I did sport two different dodge omnis and two different Horizons which were basically the exact same car. But, speaking of shitty cars, Lemme tellya.. a Ford Aspire was not only cheap as hall but about the dumbest name for a 3 cylander skate that I've ever heard of.. ASPIRE? as in, It ASPIRES to be an actual car? But, I will say this, if you ever got stuck all it took was 3 or 4 people to lift the bastard out of the ditch.

CLEARLY, he was not the better choice this side of his tenure in office. Lotsa W sticker having peeps might wanna whitewash the notion of their two previous votes but im just not buying it.

And yes, im looking forward to a president who can speak without widespread American embarrassment. The FACT is, he can't do any worse than the blood W sticker fans are trying to wipe off of their hands.

and, please do return the favor.. If Obama crashes and burns like Bush did i'll hold him to the same fire I would otherwise. Im not one that has a problem throwing worthless politicians under the bus.

I disagree. This side of his tenure, I'd STILL vote for him given the same choices. But no whitewashing. Just keeping it real. It hasn't been all that bad the past 7+ years. The economy was fine until this year, and Bush hardly caused the lending practices couple with buyer stupidity that caused it, nor is he in charge of the price of oil on the world market.

You may be an exception, but the left in general is not going to call Obama on his screwups anymore than they would call Clinton on his. Any and everything wrong will be "this wouldn't have happened if Bush hadn't left it that way." Heard THAT tune for 8 years.

I'm not going to trash Obama for no reason any more than I will Bush, or Clinton, et al. I will have NO problem calling him on anything he does that I disagree with or think is stupid, the same as I have Bush, and Clinton, et al.

I really don't see what the optimism on the left stems from though. Nothing is going to actually change much. The bureaucracy will live on, and continue to suck the life out of us via taxes and continue to step all over the Constitution and screw with our individual freedoms. Obama, if elected, is just the next big disappointment for you folks who have your hopes up, just as the Republicans that were put in Congress in 96 and electing Bush President was for those of us on the right that had our hopes up.

Be all that as it may, I am ideologically opposed to just about everything Obama stands for, and speaking of whitewashing -- no matter much is pushed aside, Obama's got some REAL issues that you on the left don't want to deal with and if it was the GOP candidate you'd be going berserk.

So far he's displayed elitism, racism and that he attended a church for 20+ years where the church and state are not considered separate issues. Get a Republican doing that and he'd already be buried by the left and the media.

I recall in 95, my freshman year of college, the only real SUVs around were Broncos and the like. I mean, I LIKE the body style and would love to see the same option on a frame that wasnt so heavy. Hell, I WANT to see big giant scooby do type vans with teardrop back windows and murals on the side. But, the auto companies were not making wise decisions because they knew they'd get bailed out. Instead of predicting where we are now, they said fuckit and took the money and ran. Hummers? I STILL flip off hummers when I see em. Yet, truth be told, if they were not such gas hogs and were on a frame that didnt' require such pathetic gas mileage I'd think they were cool as shit. I WANT to see an age in America that reflects the good ole says of route 66 where Americans traveled and enjoyed the fruits of our culture. This is where the innovation comes into play.

Those good old days are gone. That travelling was based on excess. The cars were gas hogs for one thing. IF you ever HAD to travel those old US highways where you had to pass through ever Tom, Dick and Harry little town and hit all their lights and get nailed by the local yokels' speed traps, or nailed with an absurd auto mechanic charge, you might think differently.

Then too, the culture that was then no longer exists. We used to be the USofA. Now, we're a conglomerate of irreconcilable differences.

If we force it to sell the oil to us at market rates, then it doesn't really do any good.

Oh they could sell it at market rates...but only American market rates. since the oil could not be sold elsewhere that would tend to increase supply so the market rates should be lower than world rates unless the world's oil production outside the USA somehow dramaitically increased.

But, for what it's worth, I have never agreed with the free market capitalists anyway and would probably hop on board as long as restrictions didn't allow oil profits to hemmorage out of the US.

Not likely that would happen. There'd still be significant profits to be made from pumping America's oil, refining it here and selling it here, too.

Oh they could sell it at market rates...but only American market rates. since the oil could not be sold elsewhere that would tend to increase supply so the market rates should be lower than world rates unless the world's oil production outside the USA somehow dramaitically increased.

Not likely that would happen. There'd still be significant profits to be made from pumping America's oil, refining it here and selling it here, too.

Come on dude ... with a moniker like "editec" don't tell me you don't know how to use the multi-quote function. :lol:

Seriously, if you don't, I can explain it. After all, it only took me YEARS to figure it out. The advantage is it identifies who you are quoting.

No oil executive doing his job (which is to protect share prices of his company) should want to enter into such a sensible compromise. Not even if by doing so they'd be helping this nation, indeed mankind's survival in the medium run.

Another perfect example of another tragedy of the commons.

Nothing you listed there has anything to do with a tragedy of the commons. :confused:

Sure it is.

Players (peteroleum corporations) would be doing what is perfectly sensible in their own interests (not participating in a compromise that would cost them money).

While perfectly sensible for them, the net effect of their not helping us all to solve the energy crisis is bad for the commons (in this case the world).

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
progress.gif

GunnyL queried
Come on dude ... with a moniker like "editec" don't tell me you don't know how to use the multi-quote function. :lol:

Seriously, if you don't, I can explain it. After all, it only took me YEARS to figure it out. The advantage is it identifies who you are quoting.

I think I don't use that feature because it then captures the entire post doesn't it?

I am often simply responding to one point in someone's post, rather than the entire post.

I will endeavor to identify the person I'm quoting from here on.

It does get confusing if people have to go back to see who I'm quoting, I suppose.

OBTW .... you ain't SHIT 'til you drive a 78 Gremlin painted it 3 different colors of primer.:lol:

I've never had the supreme honor of doing so...but I've RIDDEN in one!

Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

My best friend and I tooled around in her first car, an orange and white (dreamsicle...) Pinto.

My first car was a 72 Malibu.

I won't say that it's all the Dems fault, but they certainly aren't doing anything to ease the pain.....at least as long as a Repub is in office. You watch, as soon as Democrat becomes president, they'll pass something that allows for drilling somewhere and it'll seem as though the Democrats came up with the idea and are responsible for "fixing" the country. Typical political move. They vote FOR stupid stuff while a repub is in office and then turn around to criticize them. They vote against good stuff while a repubs in office so they can save it for their own "rule". Republicans do the same thing when the tables are turned.

I won't say that it's all the Dems fault, but they certainly aren't doing anything to ease the pain.....at least as long as a Repub is in office. You watch, as soon as Democrat becomes president, they'll pass something that allows for drilling somewhere and it'll seem as though the Democrats came up with the idea and are responsible for "fixing" the country. Typical political move. They vote FOR stupid stuff while a repub is in office and then turn around to criticize them. They vote against good stuff while a repubs in office so they can save it for their own "rule". Republicans do the same thing when the tables are turned.

Now THAT is an asute observation, in my almost never humble opinion. BrianH.

It took NiXXon to go to China.

It took CLINTON to reform welfare.

Go figure!

At February Press Conference, President Bush Was Unaware that Gas Prices Could Reach $4 a Gallon. Asked at a February 2008 press conference what he would tell the average American who was looking at the prospect of $4 per gallon gas, President Bush was surprised. "Wait, what did you just say? You're predicting $4-a-gallon gasoline?" He added, "That's interesting. I hadn't heard that. . . . I know it's high now." [President Bush Press Conference, 2/28/08]

REID: BUSH-MCCAIN REPUBLICANS SAY NO TO STRENGTHENING ECONOMY, YES TO IGNORING ENERGY CRISIS | Politicker NV

what you mean that pathetic monkey in white house didn't even have the intelligence to try the absurd claim pale makes here.

color me surprised...as if.

Say what?

Bush Says Democrats Keep Blocking His Energy Plans

Saturday, June 21, 2008 11:06 AM EDT
The Associated Press
By DEB RIECHMANN Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) &#8212; President Bush is accusing Democrats in Congress of blocking his energy proposals, saying they are partly to blame for high gasoline costs pinching Americans' budgets.

In his Saturday radio address, Bush urged Congress to lift its long-standing ban on offshore oil and gas drilling to increase U.S. energy production. Democrats have rejected the idea.

"This is a difficult time for many American families," Bush said. "Rising gasoline prices and economic uncertainty can affect everything from what food parents put on the table to where they can go on vacation."

Bush said offshore drilling could yield up to 18 billion barrels of oil over time, although it would take years for production to start.

There are two prohibitions on offshore drilling, one imposed by Congress and another by executive order signed by Bush's father in 1990. Bush's brother, Jeb, fiercely opposed offshore drilling when he was governor of Florida. What the president now proposes would rescind his father's decision &#8212; but the president took the position that Congress had to act first and then he would follow behind.

Congressional Democrats have been quick to reject the push for lifting the drilling moratorium, saying oil companies already have under lease 68 million acres on federal lands and waters &#8212; outside the ban area &#8212; that are not being developed. Drilling proponents say that number is misleading because sometimes it takes years for actual development to take place.

Article continues here...

GunnyL queried

I think I don't use that feature because it then captures the entire post doesn't it?

I am often simply responding to one point in someone's post, rather than the entire post.

It does get confusing if people have to go back to see who I'm quoting, I suppose.

So it takes two seconds to edit out the portion of ones post you don't want to respond to and keep what you do.

Left click, hold, move mouse to highlight what you want deleted, right click on highlighted portion, delete.

Last edited:
GunnyL queried

If you hit the quote function, it will pull up the entire post you are quoting. If you block/highlight what you wish to delete in between the quote brackets (the first one contains the name of who you are quoting) and hit del, only what you wish to respond to will remain between the brackets and the person's ID will also show up.

People do the same to separate and respond to different items in one post, only when you block what you don't want in the first quote, copy and cut it. The go outside the quote brackets from the first post and paste it. You can then block and quote it however you wish to respond to it.

If you wish to quote multiple posts, you click on the multiquote button of each post, then click on quote in the last thread you click on the multiquote button. Each post you clicked on will appear in your single response. You can "divide and conquer" them the same way as stated above for quoting a single post.

Sounds complicated, but it's actually simple.

If you hit the quote function, it will pull up the entire post you are quoting. If you block/highlight what you wish to delete in between the quote brackets (the first one contains the name of who you are quoting) and hit del, only what you wish to respond to will remain between the brackets and the person's ID will also show up.

People do the same to separate and respond to different items in one post, only when you block what you don't want in the first quote, copy and cut it. The go outside the quote brackets from the first post and paste it. You can then block and quote it however you wish to respond to it.

If you wish to quote multiple posts, you click on the multiquote button of each post, then click on quote in the last thread you click on the multiquote button. Each post you clicked on will appear in your single response. You can "divide and conquer" them the same way as stated above for quoting a single post.

Sounds complicated, but it's actually simple.

Given that all I wanted to quote was that last sentence, I'll just have to take your word for that.

Forum List

Back