And THERE You Have It... Why You're Paying $4+ For A Gallon Of Gas...

My question is what make anyone think if the oil companies were able to drill off the coast gas would be any cheaper? They would still ultimately be in charge of prices. Would they keep prices lower out of the kindness of their hearts or still attempt to make every penny possible?

My question is what make anyone think if the oil companies were able to drill off the coast gas would be any cheaper? They would still ultimately be in charge of prices. Would they keep prices lower out of the kindness of their hearts or still attempt to make every penny possible?

So are you contending that there is a global cartel that controls the price of oil ? Supply and demand, environmental concerns and political power do not come into play ?

We don't really know what the effect on the markets would be, and this has to be weighed against environmental concerns. If offshore drilling were to only marginally slow the rate of increase in the cost of oil, it is a normative question whether this balances the environmental risks and the risks that it will reduce incentives towards conservation and alternative fuels development. I don't know the answer, but I am not sure that anyone does.

Long-term and short-term are obviously relative. Perhaps when talking about energy and environmental policy, a decade is the short-term.

You guys speak of enviromental risks, when was the last time there was a major oil spill due to drilling? Hurricane Rita or Hurricane Katrina? No, both hurricanes slammed into drilling operations with no oil spillages.

No, it's not irrelevant. It's indicative of the complete fucking faulure your presidential choices have proven to be. But, I find it three shades of rich that W bumper sticker wielding republicans NOW claim that they didn't vote for Bush. Indeed, thats some good mojo right there.

Sorry charlie. No one is going to buy this silly little adolescent deflection at the dems. Further, again, the free market cult on your side of the spectrum was predicting this as a matter of the market normalizing itself globally two years ago when gas prices REALLY started lining the pockets of oil ceos. Don't blame me out of desperation, dude. Pick a better candidate next time.

Shogun,

I've know PR for several years and he is NOT a Bush fan. The mentality of "you slam Dems so you're a Bush or McLame fan" is getting old, and it's pointless. He supported Tancredo in the primaries and said fuck it when Tancredo dropped.

I've gotten the same shit recently and Bush as far as I'm concerned turned his back on conservatives, and the GOP has the done the same with "Not enough of One or the Other What is He Really?" McLame.

But I'll vote AGAINST that idiot Obama.

I tell you what, PR. Why don't you find a cost/benefit study on drilling for oil in and around the US. How much will it cost,who will pay for it, how long it will take to actually produce any oil, what the impact on the economies of various states will be, what the impact on the environment will be--then get back to us and we'll discuss it.

Since you brought it up, feel free to provide it. It's not up to him to support your argument or do your research.

Exactly. The rest of this is a pipe dream unless the government intends to nationalize all US oil and take over the industry. That ought to be real good for the economy.

I tell you what, PR. Why don't you find a cost/benefit study on drilling for oil in and around the US. How much will it cost,who will pay for it, how long it will take to actually produce any oil, what the impact on the economies of various states will be, what the impact on the environment will be--then get back to us and we'll discuss it.

Better idea: let oil companies pay for those studies. Makes sense, since it would be their time and money. (hint: they already do this) Assuming they can do it without harming the environment (offshore drilling actually helps marine life), they should be free to proceed.

Of course they are always looking to maximize their profits--just like any sensible firm. They were just as greedy in the 90's as they are now, only gas was dirt cheap then. Greed/kindness has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

Prices are determined by supply and demand, not because oil companies can increase and lower prices at will. If they could, why wasn't oil $135 five years ago? Why wait until now to drive up the price?

A few days ago, Florida governor Charlie Crist came out in support of offshore drilling, after campaigning against it in a long line of previous Florida governors, including Jeb Bush. Crist is angling to be McCain's VP. As someone said to me a few days ago, Crist is a populist, and right now, he has a constituency of one.

Wall Street Journal had an article a few days ago about opening up unavailable land for drilling. Someone in the article said it would take 10 years before any hydrocarbons were pulled out off the Florida coast if the energy companies were granted licenses today.

The most recent estimate of recoverable oil in the offshore areas of FLA that I heard is about 19 billion barrells.

Ten years from now, they might start drilling for it.

Won't help us much today, of course, but if it can be done without destroying the ecology of that area, why not consider it?

STILL, the long run solution, and the one I do not see a whole lot of investment and support going into, is sustaining NON POLLUTING energy sourcing.

Maybe it's time to do some horse trading with the power mongers who work for big oil and who basically control this administration lock stock and barrell.

A simple, we'll let you drill is we get the investment (BIG MONEY", none of this pittance crap) to get people OFF the carbon addiction.

Shogun,

I've know PR for several years and he is NOT a Bush fan. The mentality of "you slam Dems so you're a Bush or McLame fan" is getting old, and it's pointless. He supported Tancredo in the primaries and said fuck it when Tancredo dropped.

I've gotten the same shit recently and Bush as far as I'm concerned turned his back on conservatives, and the GOP has the done the same with "Not enough of One or the Other What is He Really?" McLame.

But I'll vote AGAINST that idiot Obama.

weather or not you are a fan doesn't belay the choices that were made during 00 and 04. Not to mention, this silly ass "dems said no" crap just doesn't gel after 8 years of near total control of our gov. Saying FUCKIT after the primaries doesn't make those hands come clean, yo. Indeed, vote against Obama. Thankfully, this time around, 8 years of his presidency will keep the right from having to run and purchase W sticker remover for their cars.

Maybe it's time to do some horse trading with the power mongers who work for big oil and who basically control this administration lock stock and barrell.

A simple, we'll let you drill is we get the investment (BIG MONEY", none of this pittance crap) to get people OFF the carbon addiction.

Some negotiation....why would oil companies want to have a hand in their own demise?

Quite a thread ... took me awhile to read it all.......
I never realized Shogun was as freekin' stupid as hes shown in this thread....

Just how dumb can you be to think that drilling, pumping, refining and using our own oil (rather than buying ME oil at 140 bucks a bbl) is somehow bad for the country.....

that logic is so convoluted, it defies the imagination....

Its utterly useless to try to reason with someone so immersed in the koolade of the left ...this idiot will next tell us its cheaper to buy bottled water from France than to turn on our kitchen taps....

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: 007
At February Press Conference, President Bush Was Unaware that Gas Prices Could Reach $4 a Gallon. Asked at a February 2008 press conference what he would tell the average American who was looking at the prospect of $4 per gallon gas, President Bush was surprised. "Wait, what did you just say? You're predicting $4-a-gallon gasoline?" He added, "That's interesting. I hadn't heard that. . . . I know it's high now." [President Bush Press Conference, 2/28/08]

REID: BUSH-MCCAIN REPUBLICANS SAY NO TO STRENGTHENING ECONOMY, YES TO IGNORING ENERGY CRISIS | Politicker NV

what you mean that pathetic monkey in white house didn't even have the intelligence to try the absurd claim pale makes here.

color me surprised...as if.

Some negotiation....why would oil companies want to have a hand in their own demise?

We are STILL going on need petroleum even if we stopped burning it tomorrow. It is a raw natural resource for chemicals, fertilizers and such.

Of course, the price for the stuff would fall if it weren't used for internal combustions and heat, to be sure, so you point is does have great merit.

And if you point was also that the oiliocracy aren't going to be willing to make such compromises because they have more than enough political influence not to have to negotiate with those seeking a solution to this civilization's dependence on oil, then I quite agree with that, as well.

They've got a lot of money tied up in the infrastructure to support our current use of oil, their shares prices are dependent on that dependence, too.

Upon reflection, you're completely right, come to think of it.

No oil executive doing his job (which is to protect share prices of his company) should want to enter into such a sensible compromise. Not even if by doing so they'd be helping this nation, indeed mankind's survival in the medium run.

Another perfect example of another tragedy of the commons.

Forum List

Back