And THERE You Have It... Why You're Paying $4+ For A Gallon Of Gas...

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
Bush to Congress: Embrace Energy Exploration Now

2008-06-18 11:27:40
By H. JOSEF HEBERT Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) — With gasoline topping $4 a gallon, President Bush urged Congress on Wednesday to lift its long-standing ban on offshore oil and gas drilling, saying the United States needs to increase its energy production. Democrats quickly rejected the idea.

"There is no excuse for delay," the president said in a statement in the Rose Garden. With the presidential election just months away, Bush made a pointed attack on Democrats, accusing them of obstructing his energy proposals and blaming them for high gasoline costs. His proposal echoed a call by Republican presidential candidate John McCain to open the Continental Shelf for exploration

"Families across the country are looking to Washington for a response," Bush said.

Congressional Democrats were quick to reject the push for lifting the drilling moratorium, saying oil companies already have 68 million acres offshore waters under lease that are not being developed.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called Bush's proposals "another page from (an)... energy policy that was literally written by the oil industry — give away more public resources."

Sen. Barack Obama, the Democrats' presumptive presidential nominee, rejected lifting the drilling moratorium that has been supported by a succession of presidents for nearly two decades.

Article continues here...

Last edited:
oh bullshit. don't blame the dems for the gas prices we see now.. blame your saudi fanboy presidential choice for selling out his nation for the sake of daddies business partners. Drilling isn't going to force the price down any more than we see any other commodity price fall once it achieves an inflated prices. You free market myth believers and bush club zombies really should pull your heads out of your asses.

Ever hear an old person exclaim that the price of ANYTHING reminds them of the price they paid back in the day? Milk? Eggs? Any expense you can think of that reflects the price paid 40 years ago? THIS is the product of your hummer loving SUV culture and free market willingness to sell out your own country over some bullshit uber capitalist outsourcing for cheap labor fantasy. I realize you are about to get TROUNCED in the upcoming election but at least try to keep your bullshit in the realm of feasibility.

oh bullshit. don't blame the dems for the gas prices we see now.. blame your saudi fanboy presidential choice for selling out his nation for the sake of daddies business partners. Drilling isn't going to force the price down any more than we see any other commodity price fall once it achieves an inflated prices. You free market myth believers and bush club zombies really should pull your heads out of your asses.

Ever hear an old person exclaim that the price of ANYTHING reminds them of the price they paid back in the day? Milk? Eggs? Any expense you can think of that reflects the price paid 40 years ago? THIS is the product of your hummer loving SUV culture and free market willingness to sell out your own country over some bullshit uber capitalist outsourcing for cheap labor fantasy. I realize you are about to get TROUNCED in the upcoming election but at least try to keep your bullshit in the realm of feasibility.

Drilling "would" have kept the price down had we BEEN drilling all along... but NO, we COULDN'T! Because the democraps said NO to new exploration. You can himhaw all you want about this and that happening today, but the fact of the matter is, the DEMS are the ones RESPONSIBLE for us being in the predicament we're in today. We have LOTS of oil, we just have to GO GET IT, and it has been, IS, and probably always WILL BE the DEMOCRATS that stand in the way of it. I hope the public learns this and learns this good, and starts voting the stinking liberals beholding to the envirowhackos OUT OF OFFICE!

the dems arent responsible for CHINA and other global markets taking away our monopoly on oil use. Talking shit won't make your fantasy politics any more true than they already are not. Again, blame your last 2 presidential choices for selling out his nation for the sake of his daddies business partners. Running back to the same ole "they wont let us destroy the environment" schtick is pretty lazy this side of 8 years of damn near total republican domination of American politics, eh?

the dems arent responsible for CHINA and other global markets taking away our monopoly on oil use. Talking shit won't make your fantasy politics any more true than they already are not. Again, blame your last 2 presidential choices for selling out his nation for the sake of his daddies business partners. Running back to the same ole "they wont let us destroy the environment" schtick is pretty lazy this side of 8 years of damn near total republican domination of American politics, eh?

China, shima... who gives a fuck about china? If we used 80% of our own oil instead of importing 80% of the oil we use, we wouldn't be paying $4+ a gallon for gas, and the reason we're paying that much is because we haven't done SHIT for the last two decades to GET any more or own oil, even though we have PLENTY! And yes, it's the DEMOCRATS fault. The DEMOCRATS have OBSTRUCTED any new exploration at every turn. You can twist, spin, distort and deflect until the cows come home, but the fact of the matter is it's the democrats fault we don't NOW have our own oil to use.

Sorry the facts piss you off, but you dems are at fault... period.

Last edited:
indeed. You should probably tell another liberal that they have only the most rudimentary grasp on economics after saying something as stupid as "china smima". What you are calling facts don't piss me off, dude. I realize that your tantrum is the product of your current political impotence and that you are grasping at thin air for the miniscule chance that something will stick. I'm sure that America believes your bullshit after 8 years of baby bush kissing daddy bush's business partners asses. Not to mention, disregarding the impact of another major global nation competing with our consumption is laughable on so many levels.

hey, dude.. don't crai. This is exactly the kind of shit that your free market cult predicted anyway, right?

The best part is Barrack Manchurian Obama has said he is against it because even if we exploited our own reserves we would not see any market change for a long time. Of course, he is a moron on economics and doesn't understand futures, which will indeed directly drop the price or at least slow its climb.

Even more funny is his earlier excoriations of Mccain and Clinton for short term politicing. Now I guess MCCain is thinking "too long term". Only wise Barrack "Goldilocks" Obama knows the path that is "just right"

The best part is Barrack Manchurian Obama has said he is against it because even if we exploited our own reserves we would not see any market change for a long time. Of course, he is a moron on economics and doesn't understand futures, which will indeed directly drop the price or at least slow its climb.

Even more funny is his earlier excoriations of Mccain and Clinton for short term politicing. Now I guess MCCain is thinking "too long term". Only wise Barrack "Goldilocks" Obama knows the path that is "just right"

We don't really know what the effect on the markets would be, and this has to be weighed against environmental concerns. If offshore drilling were to only marginally slow the rate of increase in the cost of oil, it is a normative question whether this balances the environmental risks and the risks that it will reduce incentives towards conservation and alternative fuels development. I don't know the answer, but I am not sure that anyone does.

Long-term and short-term are obviously relative. Perhaps when talking about energy and environmental policy, a decade is the short-term.

Our problem is Futures being bought by speculators with just 5% down, and the lack of visibility of those that hold the future hedge funds....

The OIL market is being manipulated, because of such loopholes and congress CAN correct this today....

even with estimating the future use, both demand and supply, i heard testimony in a capital hill hearing that said that $50-$60 bucks in the price per barrel WAS NOT JUSTIFIED with future supply and demand estimates....

who the heck REALLY knows what is going on here?

jd

indeed. You should probably tell another liberal that they have only the most rudimentary grasp on economics after saying something as stupid as "china smima". What you are calling facts don't piss me off, dude. I realize that your tantrum is the product of your current political impotence and that you are grasping at thin air for the miniscule chance that something will stick. I'm sure that America believes your bullshit after 8 years of baby bush kissing daddy bush's business partners asses. Not to mention, disregarding the impact of another major global nation competing with our consumption is laughable on so many levels.

hey, dude.. don't crai. This is exactly the kind of shit that your free market cult predicted anyway, right?

Nice dance son... but you're sarcasm and spin doesn't do shit to hide the facts.

You're Bush hatred syndrom is in full bloom skip... get a grip. The facts are the facts. The dems have obstructed oil exploration for over three decades. People can thank them for the price of gas today. Blaming Bush is just moronic, and ignorant to the facts of the matter.

Go back and reread the OP, and then don't act like you haven't again.

Last edited:
Our problem is Futures being bought by speculators with just 5% down, and the lack of visibility of those that hold the future hedge funds....

The OIL market is being manipulated, because of such loopholes and congress CAN correct this today....

even with estimating the future use, both demand and supply, i heard testimony in a capital hill hearing that said that $50-$60 bucks in the price per barrel WAS NOT JUSTIFIED with future supply and demand estimates....

who the heck REALLY knows what is going on here?

jd

No doubt increased world demand is playing a big role in the price of gas, but the fact that we haven't drilled a new well or built a new refinery in over thirty years has got a LOT to do with the price of gas in America, and you can thank the dems for that. Even though we're sitting on the second largest fields of oil in the world RIGHT NOW, the dems response to GETTING it today we're basically, "FORGET IT." The dems WANT you to pay $4, $6, even $10 a gallon for gas, otherwise they'd change their tune.

You want cheaper gas, vote the sorry ass sons a bitches out of office.

Last edited:
Nice dance son... but you're sarcasm and spin doesn't do shit to hide the facts.

You're Bush hatred syndrom is in full bloom skip... get a grip. The facts are the facts. The dems have obstructed oil exploration for over three decades. People can thank them for the price of gas today. Blaming Bush is just moronic, and ignorant to the facts of the matter.

Go back and reread the OP, and then don't act like you haven't again.

you are like chicken little insisting that NOW the ground is going to fall up, dude. I don't hate bush, yo. He is about to become nothing more than a footnote in history and a jeopardy punchline. Pointing out his failure as a president, globally and domestically, must sting for you, again, this side of his time in office but.. hey.. I didnt' vote for him and doom your political chances this year so...

Indeed, the facts ARE facts: Bush's family business has proven more important than his nation. Hey, MAYBE one of his heroes, a saudi king, can elevate his family to a global wealth that will guarantee an apartment is some man made island in Dubai!

Trust me, dude.. it's pretty sad and a lotta pathetic that you really think deflecting gas prices at dems will work in this abysmal election year for republicans. Blaming bush for his own mistakes, and his dittoheads for allowing such, is why you are about to get PWNED in the upcoming national election. But, please tell me about moronic logic after your brilliant "china smima" post.

go back and think of another desperate fucking strategy, yo. This popsicle stick splint won't change the flaccid nature of your chances this year but it sure is fun to watch your panic ensue.

No doubt increased world demand is playing a big role in the price of gas, but the fact that we haven't drilled a new well or built a new refinery in over thirty years has got a LOT to do with the price of gas in America, and you can thank the dems for that. Even though we're sitting on the second largest fields of oil in the world RIGHT NOW, the dems response to GETTING it today we're basically, "FORGET IT." The dems WANT you to pay $4, $6, even $10 a gallon for gas, otherwise they'd change their tune.

gosh buddy.. what ever happened to China Smima? Where is your fucking free market capitalism now? a LOT, eh? Just pulling shit out of your ass there or do you have a source that doesn't come from a biased think tank? No, we won't thank the dems for sucking SAUDI cock for 8 years. THAT, sir, was your choice.

and, again, what happened to the "market will normalize itself" shit, capitalist? Isn't this EXACTLY what you expected ANYWAY when insisting on FREE MARKETS?

you are like chicken little insisting that NOW the ground is going to fall up, dude. I don't hate bush, yo. He is about to become nothing more than a footnote in history and a jeopardy punchline. Pointing out his failure as a president, globally and domestically, must sting for you, again, this side of his time in office but.. hey.. I didnt' vote for him and doom your political chances this year so...

Indeed, the facts ARE facts: Bush's family business has proven more important than his nation. Hey, MAYBE one of his heroes, a saudi king, can elevate his family to a global wealth that will guarantee an apartment is some man made island in Dubai!

Trust me, dude.. it's pretty sad and a lotta pathetic that you really think deflecting gas prices at dems will work in this abysmal election year for republicans. Blaming bush for his own mistakes, and his dittoheads for allowing such, is why you are about to get PWNED in the upcoming national election. But, please tell me about moronic logic after your brilliant "china smima" post.

go back and think of another desperate fucking strategy, yo. This popsicle stick splint won't change the flaccid nature of your chances this year but it sure is fun to watch your panic ensue.

Hey... earth to sho... earth to sho..... I am NOT fan of Bush, but I am a fan of the TRUTH, and the truth of the matter is it's the DEMS who have BLOCKED, OBSTRUCTED and DENIED any new exploration or drilling for oil in America, period, and that is the BIGGEST reason gas is as expensive as it is today. Had we BEEN drilling and were pumping our own oil, enough so that we didn't have to import so much, it wouldn't matter how much China needs, or India, or tim fucking buck two. We could EXPORT some and MAKE SOME MONEY.

But hey, you just keep posting your crap and spin if it makes you feel better. Still won't change the facts. The dems are at fault for our predicament here in America, who have been in the pockets of the envirowhackos for decades. You know it, I know it, everybody knows it.

Anyone who has to BEG for trust can't be a trustworthy person.

Last edited:
oh.. NOW you are not a fan of Bush, eh? Where were you circa 2004?

Again, it's not like you have full authority to drill from 2000 - 2008. I mean, you ONLY started a fucking war over bullshit lies about phantom WMDs. Don't act like it was the DEMS keeping this shit from happening while your last two presidential nominations was busy giving hand jobs to mid easterners.

oh.. NOW you are not a fan of Bush, eh? Where were you circa 2004?

Again, it's not like you have full authority to drill from 2000 - 2008. I mean, you ONLY started a fucking war over bullshit lies about phantom WMDs. Don't act like it was the DEMS keeping this shit from happening while your last two presidential nominations was busy giving hand jobs to mid easterners.

I don't care about the war in Iraq. It's irrelevant. And no, I'm not a fan of bush now, haven't been, and won't be. I also don't believe we should have invaded Iraq. So what are you going to harp about now? The price of coffee?

The fact remains, even at your best attempt to deflect, it's the dems fault we don't have our own oil flowing right now.

I don't care about the war in Iraq. It's irrelevant. And no, I'm not a fan of bush now, haven't been, and won't be. I also don't believe we should have invaded Iraq. So what are you going to harp about now? The price of coffee?

The fact remains, even at your best attempt to deflect, it's the dems fault we don't have our own oil flowing right now.

No, it's not irrelevant. It's indicative of the complete fucking faulure your presidential choices have proven to be. But, I find it three shades of rich that W bumper sticker wielding republicans NOW claim that they didn't vote for Bush. Indeed, thats some good mojo right there.

Sorry charlie. No one is going to buy this silly little adolescent deflection at the dems. Further, again, the free market cult on your side of the spectrum was predicting this as a matter of the market normalizing itself globally two years ago when gas prices REALLY started lining the pockets of oil ceos. Don't blame me out of desperation, dude. Pick a better candidate next time.

Ahmadinejad: Oil Crisis “Fake,” Result of Dollar Devaluation

Hashem Kalentari
Reuters
June 18, 2008

Editor’s note: It should be obvious where this one will lead — Ahmadinejad says the oil crisis is fake and high prices are the result of dollar devaluation. Of course, this will give neocons inside and outside of the corporate media the excuse to proclaim all talk about high gas prices being the result of the devaluation of the dollar as little more than a conspiracy theory — and an antisemitic conspiracy theory to boot.

ISFAHAN, Iran (Reuters) - The market is full of oil and the rising price trend is “fake and imposed,” Iran’s president said on Tuesday, partly blaming a weak U.S. dollar which he said was being pushed lower on purpose.

“At a time when the growth of consumption is lower than the growth of production and the market is full of oil, prices are rising and this trend is completely fake and imposed,” President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said in a televised speech.

“It is very clear that visible and invisible hands are controlling prices in a fake way with political and economic aims,” he said when opening a meeting of the OPEC Fund for International Development in the central Iranian city of Isfahan.

Iran, the world’s fourth-largest oil exporter, has repeatedly said the market is well-supplied with crude and blames rising prices on speculation, a weak U.S. currency and geopolitical factors.

“As you know the decrease in the dollar’s value and the increase in energy prices are two sides of the same coin which are being introduced as factors behind the recent instability,” Ahmadinejad said.
News ? Top US, Political, International News | Reuters.com

where do you get that we are siting on the second largest field of oil in the usa? what did i miss? i have never heard such pale....?

saudi's have the largest, iraq the second largest....canada has alot, mexico has alot, venezuela has alot....the caspean sea has alot....

and not to be difficult, but the REPUBLICANS in florida have been dead set against drilling off florida, including jeb bush and gov cris now....?

will we have to pay florida the income they lose in vacationers from an oil spill down the road? these are things to consider....their beaches are their gold?

Last edited:
I tell you what, PR. Why don't you find a cost/benefit study on drilling for oil in and around the US. How much will it cost,who will pay for it, how long it will take to actually produce any oil, what the impact on the economies of various states will be, what the impact on the environment will be--then get back to us and we'll discuss it.

Forum List

Back