An amazing work-out

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Evangelical, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Evangelical

Evangelical Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Oh man, I just had an amazing work-out today; chest-back split. It was truly phenomenal feeling. So does anyone else lift? :) If so let's talk!

2. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,779

sounds like torture,,do we need to try you at the Hague?

3. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    I used to throw iron about, some. For a couple years in the 80s.

Is there a whole lot of say about it?

My favorite technique was working with two 25 lb dumbells.

I'd imagine that the weights were swords and then do katas with them until I couldn't continue the process and maintain total control over the weights as I threw them about.

The beauty of this was that it demanded that I use the full range of motion for my upper body, while maintaining balance as I threw those weights in ways that used to make my trainer cringe in fear.

Then after about three months of that, he saw the value of it because not only did it create real upper body strength and increased body mass, but it also insured that every muscle bundle in the upper body was being worked equally and in ways that gave that strength complete range of motion, too.

I did the normal routines on the universal, too, of course, but what's to say about that?

BORING!

4. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,684
    I lifted weights on and off for about 30 years. I do P90X now, which is a combination of aerobics and resistance training, a few weights thrown in as well. I'm 45 years old by the way.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/p90x.do?code=BBHOME_CONTROL_P90X

Since I stopped lifting weights my back pain has disappeared. My weight has gone from from 234 to 212 and is still going down. My goal is to get back to the 175-185 range so I'll be able to run again.
    My brother-in-law is a big weight lifter and a former Mr. Nevada in his age division. So far he's had two knee surgeries and a hip replacement.

Not trying to be a downer on your weight lifting experience, but that was mine.

5. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,130
    How do you like the P90X? What was it like when you started vs. now in terms of increased strength, endurance, difficulty, etc.?

6. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,684
    The Cardio 1-2 workout kicked my ass at first. It took me two weeks before I could do it without stopping then I moved on to the full P90X program.
    It definitely gets easier as you go along but they have a new routine right behind that one that is more difficult.
    It's a three month program that changes the routine every three weeks so your muscles don't get used to it and weight loss stops.
    I feel like I have a lot more endurance. Walking up stairs and hills are a lot less tiresome and I don't breathe as heavy as I used to. I haven't got back into running yet but I'm sure there's improvement there as well.
    I use my garage as a gym. I have a computer that I use to play the DVD's and I put a hook on the wall to attach my elastic bands that I use during the workouts. The DVD's show alternate exercises for you if you want to use bands instead of free weights. I go probably 50/50 bands/free weights.

If you wanna' be fit and lean, not like a WWF wrestler, then this would be good for you. Search YouTube for a whole bunch of Before/After P90X stories.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  7. Phate

Phate Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Why are you doing a Chest-Back Split?

Unless you are working out only 3x a week working Chest/Back/tri/bi in one workout isn't the most efficient way of doing it. Unless you are going low-volume and higher-intensity.

I have back-bi's today.

8. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,130
    Hey thanks. I"ve seen the commercials but didn't know anyone who'd used it. Might look into it. The running and free-weights thing are getting old. Need to change it up. Are the dvd's split differently for guys and girls or do they use the same one?

9. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    I lift! My coffee cup in the morning...yeah I know I should exercise but everytime I attempt it the mind is willing but the body says..."I don't think so lady"

10. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,022
    100 Crunches + leg lifts and as many push-ups as I can stand to do in the morning....

Hoisting beer mugs and gardening in the evening.

... Almost no time for sex... :beer: ......Almost... ​

-Joe