An alternate view of Aunt Jemima

So true!

Sadly, nowadays when we see how a lot of younger people of that background act, "lovable" does not come to mind.
They won't allow anything positive to be seen in their view of history. Only the bad is permitted and that unacceptable or bad thing must be presented as the only thing that was important in any given time. I can't imagine being that tunnel visioned or indoctrinated with such misinformed beliefs if they in fact do believe that. Sometimes I think they just dutifully parrot the party line and don't care whether or not it is true.

Tell us again what is your complaint?
It's your thread you clueless cosplaying fucktard.... :laugh:
I’ll tell you
Exactly. You want to tell me what my complaint is because like the Pearl Milling Company you merely want to use my likeness to sell your sad fan fiction.
Aunt Jemima reminds you of a time before white people magnanimously gave black people their freedom

You owe much yo whites and that really bothers you
Now I know exactly what your fragility is all about. You fail whites like to imagine that you allow these protests and protestations to occur at your discretion and your feeble frail white mind needs to maintain that illusion.

Jesus!

She was an actress.
She did NOTHING to promote the cause of racial equality.
In fact, every bit of her fame is based on supporting racism by reinforcing the stereotypes used by racists.

No wonder you're upset.
The symbols that support your bigotry are disappearing.

(JESUS!)

oh wow. Your really a work of art mister.
Funny how the Family of MRS Green claimed that pancake recipe was her own...and tried in vain to preserve that memory. As you can see here.. they even put a plaque on her grave depicting a stack of pancakes. OHHH how racist and demeaning by her own family!!

you idiots.

Why is it that a face of a black lady on a package of pancake mix = subserviernce to you wound up people?
Her own family wanted the symbol to remain and wanted it celebrated. Liberals are always against individual expression though if it gets in the way of their herd mentality.

The sudden news in the midst of this country’s "racial reckoning" shocked both families.

MORE: Aunt Jemima brand retired by Quaker due to racial stereotype​

“I was, I was taken aback. I was really shocked. I knew people didn't realize that those were real people and, you know, to phase them out, would kind of erase their history,” Harris said.

Hayes worries about Green’s legacy when the brand goes away.

‘She's just not a character ... I really want her legacy to be told. That this is a real person. And this was her recipe. And she fed the world from her flapjacks,” he said.

Evidently not
The ad from the 50s where she’s wearing a kerchief and saying “lawsee” and “sho’nuf”, yeah those are racist.

But what sane person could possibly be offended by the woman on these bottles of syrup?
1713278449826.jpeg

Yup, they got rid of her, which was the goal all along.
That was a loooong term plan then, cause the toned-down neutral version of Aunt Jemima was a thing back when I was a kid

It only became an issue today because people are dredging up the past and pretending to be offended by some smiling lady on a syrup bottle who looks like a nice middle aged kindergarten teacher

The ad from the 50s where she’s wearing a kerchief and saying “lawsee” and “sho’nuf”, yeah those are racist.

But what sane person could possibly be offended by the woman on these bottles of syrup?
View attachment 932909
Because the original image of Aunt Jemima stuck

Calling a black person invoked the old Mammy image not the revised image

What’s there to judge?

Yeah the original Aunt Jemima was clearly a Mammy caricature. The modern one just looks like some middle aged black lady.

I’m sure any kid these days wouldn’t even make the connection. There’s a lady on the syrup bottle, and she happens to be black. That’s all they’d see.
did they change the name of the character to something like "Jennifer Aniston?"
No?
There ya go.

There is something deeply offensive in the way white culture treated Nancy Green.

There was things offensive how they treated Irish and Italian immigrants back in the day, but we got through it.

Mostly by taking the jobs the WASPs didn't want, and getting power that way.

That and at least the Italians could go with their cuisine.

It was sold as her recipe... this somehow offends you that a black lady would be depicted as coming up with a pancake mix... a black lady actually cooked in a kitchen! wow... how demeaning.
Then why didn’t they let her dress normally and speak proper English like they would for an older white woman?

The image that black women are good cooks?

Thats a positive image
Don't be stupid.
People may get the right idea.

Jemima, Ben, Hattie McDaniel, Dudley Henry Dickerson Jr., Tim Moore, Alvin Childress...

They made money reinforcing the racist stereotypes of the day.

And those stereotypes were of unintelligent servants who could do no better.

Which, it seems, fits your world view.

Forum List

Back