Americans’ Dismal Views of the Nation’s Politics - Pew Research Center study

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
This article shows a study that has to be on the minds of every political professional. Any candidate running that doesn't have somebody in their campaign looking at this is foolish. I bet every serious presidential candidate is worried about this if has been brought to their attention. Same with the major political parties.

But voting in elections is very different from being satisfied with the state of politics – and the public is deeply dissatisfied.

The new study of Americans’ views of the state of the political system is primarily based on a survey conducted July 10-16, 2023, among 8,480 adults, with additional data from a survey conducted June 5-11, 2023, among 5,115 adults. Both were conducted on Pew Research Center’s nationally representative American Trends Panel.

A little more than a year before the presidential election, nearly two-thirds of Americans (65%) say they always or often feel exhausted when thinking about politics, while 55% feel angry. By contrast, just 10% say they always or often feel hopeful about politics, and even fewer (4%) are excited.

• Just 4% of U.S. adults say the political system is working extremely or very well;

• Positive views of many governmental and political institutions are at historic lows.

• A growing share of the public dislikes both political parties.

• Candidate choices are underwhelming.

• Majorities back age and term limits and eliminating the Electoral College.

This article shows a study that has to be on the minds of every political professional. Any candidate running that doesn't have somebody in their campaign looking at this is foolish. I bet every serious presidential candidate is worried about this if has been brought to their attention. Same with the major political parties.

But voting in elections is very different from being satisfied with the state of politics – and the public is deeply dissatisfied.

The new study of Americans’ views of the state of the political system is primarily based on a survey conducted July 10-16, 2023, among 8,480 adults, with additional data from a survey conducted June 5-11, 2023, among 5,115 adults. Both were conducted on Pew Research Center’s nationally representative American Trends Panel.

A little more than a year before the presidential election, nearly two-thirds of Americans (65%) say they always or often feel exhausted when thinking about politics, while 55% feel angry. By contrast, just 10% say they always or often feel hopeful about politics, and even fewer (4%) are excited.

• Just 4% of U.S. adults say the political system is working extremely or very well;

• Positive views of many governmental and political institutions are at historic lows.

Positive views of many governmental and political institutions are at historic lows.
look at the candidates we've had for the last 25 years, I'm surprised it's not lower.

Majorities back age and term limits and eliminating the Electoral College.
age and term limits I'm fine with.

electoral college we need.

I'm not fond of the idea of less than 1/4 of the states being important,

democrats no longer care about votes, they care about ballots.

"I consider it completely unimportant who in the party will vote, or how; but what is extraordinarily important is this—who will count the votes, and how." Joseph Stalin
said in 1923; Boris Bazhanov The Memoirs of Stalin's Former Secretary

look at the candidates we've had for the last 25 years, I'm surprised it's not lower.

age and term limits I'm fine with.

electoral college we need.

I'm not fond of the idea of less than 1/4 of the states being important,
The less than '1/4 states' thing? I know of no one in politics who is serious thinks of them as unimportant.

The way people act today, why would most decent and honorable men and women volunteer?

I know there are good, decent, and honorable people serving. But the most recent crop of statewide and national candidates are not examples to copy or admire.

The less than '1/4 states' thing? I know of no one in politics who is serious thinks of them as unimportant.

The way people act today, why would most decent and honorable men and women volunteer?

I know there are good, decent, and honorable people serving. But the most recent crop of statewide and national candidates are not examples to copy or admire.
YOU'RE saying they are unimportant. without the EC, they have little if any say in who is president.

YOU'RE saying they are unimportant. without the EC, they have little if any say in who is president.

Dante has never said a state is unimportant, though he has laughed at people who believe their single vote matters in the overall count. It's like imbeciles who complain their taxes are funding something, when reality is their personal tax payments most like equal less than a fraction of a percent of any program budget.

People in every state have an equal vote. People/voters. The states do not have equal say. I'd ask, why should they? Some people want to see all states have equal representation -- a state with 1,000 people equal to a state with 1,000,000 people. The ratification of the US Constitution was probably the very first time Americans voted as a national group people. They were given an up or down vote on ratification. Of course every state was not given equal representation, but the people were given equality.

Distribution of Electoral Votes​

Allocation among the States​

Electoral votes are allocated among the States based on the Census. Every State is allocated a number of votes equal to the number of Senators and Representatives in its U.S. Congressional delegation—two votes for its Senators in the U.S. Senate plus a number of votes equal to the number of its Congressional districts.

Under the 23rd Amendment of the Constitution, the District of Columbia is allocated three electors and treated like a State for purposes of the Electoral College.

Each State (which includes the District of Columbia for the Electoral College) decides how to appoint its electors; however, they must do so according to law enacted before Election Day. Currently all States use the popular vote results from the November general election to decide which political party chooses the individuals who are appointed.

Dante has never said a state is unimportant, though he has laughed at people who believe their single vote matters in the overall count. It's like imbeciles who complain their taxes are funding something, when reality is their personal tax payments most like equal less than a fraction of a percent of any program budget.

People in every state have an equal vote. People/voters. The states do not have equal say. I'd ask, why should they? Some people want to see all states have equal representation -- a state with 1,000 people equal to a state with 1,000,000 people. The ratification of the US Constitution was probably the very first time Americans voted as a national group people. They were given an up or down vote on ratification. Of course every state was not given equal representation, but the people were given equality.

Distribution of Electoral Votes​

Allocation among the States​

Electoral votes are allocated among the States based on the Census. Every State is allocated a number of votes equal to the number of Senators and Representatives in its U.S. Congressional delegation—two votes for its Senators in the U.S. Senate plus a number of votes equal to the number of its Congressional districts.

Under the 23rd Amendment of the Constitution, the District of Columbia is allocated three electors and treated like a State for purposes of the Electoral College.

Each State (which includes the District of Columbia for the Electoral College) decides how to appoint its electors; however, they must do so according to law enacted before Election Day. Currently all States use the popular vote results from the November general election to decide which political party chooses the individuals who are appointed.

Dante has never said a state is unimportant,
Dante talks out his ass.

This is why independents are now the largest voting group in the nation.

Forum List

Back