America not the Greatest Anymore

OP- Total BS. WE HAVE MORE NATURAL RESOURCES AND THE BEST WORKERS IN THE WORLD. WHAT WE NEED AFTER 30 YEARS OF THE GREEDY IDIOT RICH pillaging the country and ruining the nonrich under Voodoo Reaganism is about 20 more years of intelligent Dem rule...The GOP are a catastrophe that at this point only survive by brainwashing the pathetic chumps, a disgrace. See sig

If only the liberals realize it isn't that you ignorant it is just that you know so much that isn't so, and repeat it endlessly.

Here is an article comparing Reagan to Obama, although there is no comparison.

When President Reagan entered office in 1981, he faced actually much worse economic problems than President Obama faced in 2009. Three worsening recessions starting in 1969 were about to culminate in the worst of all in 1981-1982, with unemployment soaring into double digits at a peak of 10.8%. At the same time America suffered roaring double-digit inflation, with the CPI registering at 11.3% in 1979 and 13.5% in 1980 (25% in two years). The Washington establishment at the time argued that this inflation was now endemic to the American economy, and could not be stopped, at least not without a calamitous economic collapse.

All of the above was accompanied by double -igit interest rates, with the prime rate peaking at 21.5% in 1980. The poverty rate started increasing in 1978, eventually climbing by an astounding 33%, from 11.4% to 15.2%. A fall in real median family income that began in 1978 snowballed to a decline of almost 10% by 1982. In addition, from 1968 to 1982, the Dow Jones industrial average lost 70% of its real value, reflecting an overall collapse of stocks.

President Reagan campaigned on an explicitly articulated, four-point economic program to reverse this slow motion collapse of the American economy:

1. Cut tax rates to restore incentives for economic growth, which was implemented first with a reduction in the top income tax rate of 70% down to 50%, and then a 25% across-the-board reduction in income tax rates for everyone. The 1986 tax reform then reduced tax rates further, leaving just two rates, 28% and 15%.

2. Spending reductions, including a $31 billion cut in spending in 1981, close to 5% of the federal budget then, or the equivalent of about $175 billion in spending cuts for the year today. In constant dollars, nondefense discretionary spending declined by 14.4% from 1981 to 1982, and by 16.8% from 1981 to 1983. Moreover, in constant dollars, this nondefense discretionary spending never returned to its 1981 level for the rest of Reagan’s two terms! Even with the Reagan defense buildup, which won the Cold War without firing a shot, total federal spending declined from a high of 23.5% of GDP in 1983 to 21.3% in 1988 and 21.2% in 1989. That’s a real reduction in the size of government relative to the economy of 10%.

3. Anti-inflation monetary policy restraining money supply growth compared to demand, to maintain a stronger, more stable dollar value.

4. Deregulation, which saved consumers an estimated $100 billion per year in lower prices. Reagan’s first executive order, in fact, eliminated price controls on oil and natural gas. Production soared, and aided by a strong dollar the price of oil declined by more than 50%.

These economic policies amounted to the most successful economic experiment in world history. The Reagan recovery started in official records in November 1982, and lasted 92 months without a recession until July 1990, when the tax increases of the 1990 budget deal killed it. This set a new record for the longest peacetime expansion ever, the previous high in peacetime being 58 months.

Reaganomics Vs. Obamanomics: Facts And Figures - Forbes

I'll let you go read the rest. Haaaaaaaaaa that made me laugh out loud.

Why is it that Reagan crotch suckers never say how Reagan increased govt., increased the debt and raised taxes also?

OP- Total BS. WE HAVE MORE NATURAL RESOURCES AND THE BEST WORKERS IN THE WORLD. WHAT WE NEED AFTER 30 YEARS OF THE GREEDY IDIOT RICH pillaging the country and ruining the nonrich under Voodoo Reaganism is about 20 more years of intelligent Dem rule...The GOP are a catastrophe that at this point only survive by brainwashing the pathetic chumps, a disgrace. See sig

If only the liberals realize it isn't that you ignorant it is just that you know so much that isn't so, and repeat it endlessly.

When President Reagan entered office in 1981, he faced actually much worse economic problems than President Obama faced in 2009. Three worsening recessions starting in 1969 were about to culminate in the worst of all in 1981-1982, with unemployment soaring into double digits at a peak of 10.8%. At the same time America suffered roaring double-digit inflation, with the CPI registering at 11.3% in 1979 and 13.5% in 1980 (25% in two years). The Washington establishment at the time argued that this inflation was now endemic to the American economy, and could not be stopped, at least not without a calamitous economic collapse.

All of the above was accompanied by double -igit interest rates, with the prime rate peaking at 21.5% in 1980. The poverty rate started increasing in 1978, eventually climbing by an astounding 33%, from 11.4% to 15.2%. A fall in real median family income that began in 1978 snowballed to a decline of almost 10% by 1982. In addition, from 1968 to 1982, the Dow Jones industrial average lost 70% of its real value, reflecting an overall collapse of stocks.

President Reagan campaigned on an explicitly articulated, four-point economic program to reverse this slow motion collapse of the American economy:

1. Cut tax rates to restore incentives for economic growth, which was implemented first with a reduction in the top income tax rate of 70% down to 50%, and then a 25% across-the-board reduction in income tax rates for everyone. The 1986 tax reform then reduced tax rates further, leaving just two rates, 28% and 15%.

2. Spending reductions, including a $31 billion cut in spending in 1981, close to 5% of the federal budget then, or the equivalent of about $175 billion in spending cuts for the year today. In constant dollars, nondefense discretionary spending declined by 14.4% from 1981 to 1982, and by 16.8% from 1981 to 1983. Moreover, in constant dollars, this nondefense discretionary spending never returned to its 1981 level for the rest of Reagan’s two terms! Even with the Reagan defense buildup, which won the Cold War without firing a shot, total federal spending declined from a high of 23.5% of GDP in 1983 to 21.3% in 1988 and 21.2% in 1989. That’s a real reduction in the size of government relative to the economy of 10%.

3. Anti-inflation monetary policy restraining money supply growth compared to demand, to maintain a stronger, more stable dollar value.

4. Deregulation, which saved consumers an estimated $100 billion per year in lower prices. Reagan’s first executive order, in fact, eliminated price controls on oil and natural gas. Production soared, and aided by a strong dollar the price of oil declined by more than 50%.

These economic policies amounted to the most successful economic experiment in world history. The Reagan recovery started in official records in November 1982, and lasted 92 months without a recession until July 1990, when the tax increases of the 1990 budget deal killed it. This set a new record for the longest peacetime expansion ever, the previous high in peacetime being 58 months.

Why is it that Reagan crotch suckers never say how Reagan increased govt., increased the debt and raised taxes also?

That wasn't the question. And at least we got something for the increase in debt and taxes. Very unlike what we get with Obama, debt and nothing to show for it other ten debt.

The predictable result of lowered standards and expectations, "participation medals" and a rapidly decaying culture.

Confident Idiots: American Students Growing More Confident, Less Capable

Self inflected wound.

My parents and their contemporaries were no more educated then I see the kids today. When I got out of High School there were more options for people without an education. They could go to college, and that was expensive then as now. They could go to the mills if they could get in through the Unions, or they could go to the military. The one option that is gone is going to the mills and making a living wage. What happened, in my opinion, is the Clinton "free" trade agreements and the great sucking sound of jobs leaving the country. It was predicted and has now happened.

What I do see is a bunch of young kids that are tech knowledgeable which I wish hey could put to good use.

You mean that free trade agreement pushed by Reagan and Bush sr. that was finally passed under Clinton? If you think that taking sides will improve your position in life, your mistaken.

Yes, exactly. The ones that no Republican could ever have been able to get passed. Pushed for by Clinton like nothing else during his term. HE knifed the working man like no other. You can insinuate all you want about what Reagan and Bush MIGHT have done but we know is what Clinton DID. It was predicted when he did it and it has come home to roost.

That wasn't the question. And at least we got something for the increase in debt and taxes. Very unlike what we get with Obama, debt and nothing to show for it other ten debt.

Oblama is just doing what every president since Reagan has done and your just now complaining. Hell, I started back in 1982 after his first so called tax break that increased my income taxes.

My parents and their contemporaries were no more educated then I see the kids today. When I got out of High School there were more options for people without an education. They could go to college, and that was expensive then as now. They could go to the mills if they could get in through the Unions, or they could go to the military. The one option that is gone is going to the mills and making a living wage. What happened, in my opinion, is the Clinton "free" trade agreements and the great sucking sound of jobs leaving the country. It was predicted and has now happened.

What I do see is a bunch of young kids that are tech knowledgeable which I wish hey could put to good use.

You mean that free trade agreement pushed by Reagan and Bush sr. that was finally passed under Clinton? If you think that taking sides will improve your position in life, your mistaken.

Yes, exactly. The ones that no Republican could ever have been able to get passed. Pushed for by Clinton like nothing else during his term. HE knifed the working man like no other. You can insinuate all you want about what Reagan and Bush MIGHT have done but we know is what Clinton DID. It was predicted when he did it and it has come home to roost.

Emotive intelligence is so unreliable.

WTF are you talking about now? You made a BS statement and I countered it with what actually happened. Not sure what is emotive about doing so.

WTF are you talking about now? You made a BS statement and I countered it with what actually happened. Not sure what is emotive about doing so.

Reagan Modifies Free Trade Act To Enable Monitoring Of Textiles

(May 4, 1987)

The North American Free Trade Agreement: Ronald Reagan's Vision Realized

Reagan was just as much a culprit as Clinton, too bad for someone living in denial.

Long-Standing Support for Free Trade with Mexico. Ronald Reagan first proposed a free trade agreement between the U.S. and Mexico in his 1980 presidential campaign. Since that time, The Heritage Foundation is proud of the role it has played in articulating President Reagan's vision of free trade in Latin America and around the world. Since the mid-1980s, Heritage analysts have been stressing that a free trade agreement with Mexico not only will stimulate economic growth in the U.S., but will make Mexico a more stable and prosperous country. Heritage has published over three dozen studies stressing the benefits of free trade in North America.

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/1993/11/em371-the-north-american-free-trade-agreement

Last edited:
No, there are not 25% of Americans "just trying to get by" and don't know or care that the Earth revolves around the sun in the 21st century in the richest, most scientifically advanced society in world history. That can only come from pure willful ignorance like that of religious zealots who cling to outdated dogma.

Jesus is dead and will never come back because there is not an invisible man in the sky. Modern society has learned this fact. It isn't open to debate. An invisible man in the sky did not create the universe in a week for dinosaurs on Earth. That is just stupid and it won't be taught in public schools with public funds. Your religious fairy tales belong in church and your own private home, not public institutions of higher learning.

It doesn't matter how many gaping holes are exposed in the stories of the Bible because religious followers "have faith" that their bedtime stories are true, but rational society has to keep reminging them, "Creationism is retarded." Why aren't dinosaurs mentioned in the Bible? Because the people who wrote the Bible didn't know anything about science. That's why they wrote about an invisible man in the clouds and a talking snake.

Oblama is just doing what every president since Reagan has done and your just now complaining. Hell, I started back in 1982 after his first so called tax break that increased my income taxes.

An example of the difference. Reagan went in debt to build a house. Obama debt is actually like credit card debt. He maxed out the card then complained when the credit limit wasn't raised. Yes, it has been done before, many times. But Obama told us he was going to stop it, it was unpatriotic to use the Chinese credit card. But here we are maxing it out every 3 months. Plus the printing of money called Quantitative Easing is still waiting to bite us in the ass.

An example of the difference. Reagan went in debt to build a house. Obama debt is actually like credit card debt. He maxed out the card then complained when the credit limit wasn't raised. Yes, it has been done before, many times. But Obama told us he was going to stop it, it was unpatriotic to use the Chinese credit card. But here we are maxing it out every 3 months. Plus the printing of money called Quantitative Easing is still waiting to bite us in the ass.

So every other president that has done it is okay in your eyes, except the democratic ones? I see you have your blinders on.

Last edited:

Reagan was just as much a culprit as Clinton, too bad for someone living in denial.

Long-Standing Support for Free Trade with Mexico. Ronald Reagan first proposed a free trade agreement between the U.S. and Mexico in his 1980 presidential campaign. Since that time, The Heritage Foundation is proud of the role it has played in articulating President Reagan's vision of free trade in Latin America and around the world. Since the mid-1980s, Heritage analysts have been stressing that a free trade agreement with Mexico not only will stimulate economic growth in the U.S., but will make Mexico a more stable and prosperous country. Heritage has published over three dozen studies stressing the benefits of free trade in North America.

Reagan could have never got it done as did Clinton. He screwed the working man like no other. Deflect all you want but it was Clinton who signed the treaty.

Looks Like Ross Perot Was Right About The ?Giant Sucking Sound? - Business Insider

So every other president that has done it is okay in your eyes, except the democratic ones. I see you have your blinders on.

You mean like Reagan signed MLK's birthday into law? Or how Reagan signed the EIT credit into law? Or how Reagain required hospital to treat those who showed up at the emergency room? Clinton on the other hand just sold our whole working class economy down the tubes.

I was a union steward then I listened to all the rhetoric. The Unions were going to make anyone who voted for the "free" trade agreements pay. They didn't they carved. Then they wonder why no one respects them any more.

So every other president that has done it is okay in your eyes, except the democratic ones? I see you have your blinders on.

Obama's debt is so much higher then his proceeding presidents it is hard to make a comparision.

And yes, I expected Clinton to protect working men and women. After all that is what the democrats claimed they did. He didn't, they didn't and they got away with it. So I might as well go to the republicans who are honest about what they are doing if it is going to happen any way.

So every other president that has done it is okay in your eyes, except the democratic ones. I see you have your blinders on.

You mean like Reagan signed MLK's birthday into law? Or how Reagan signed the EIT credit into law? Or how Reagain required hospital to treat those who showed up at the emergency room? Clinton on the other hand just sold our whole working class economy down the tubes.

I was a union steward then I listened to all the rhetoric. The Unions were going to make anyone who voted for the "free" trade agreements pay. They didn't they carved. Then they wonder why no one respects them any more.

Why do people hate the unions. we think it is stupid to pay some one to get a job, that has no guarantee on hours or income from the union, only the employer, and the massive infiltration of the union by the mafia turning it into a slush fund for their criminal enterprise.

Obama's debt is so much higher then his proceeding presidents it is hard to make a comparision.

And yes, I expected Clinton to protect working men and women. After all that is what the democrats claimed they did. He didn't, they didn't and they got away with it. So I might as well go to the republicans who are honest about what they are doing if it is going to happen any way.

Bush's debt was larger than Clintons. I don't hear or see you complaining about that.
The GOP sells the common citizen out also. It's all about the haves and the have nots in the political power spectrum in the USA. Our govt is heavily influenced by corporate lobbyist, intent on making US laws that benefit themselves. All the while the common citizen is made to believe it is Dem vs GOP which is not true, they both have their hands in our pockets, they are the ruling rich elite class that plays with the poli-social position in our masses.

America not the Greatest Anymore
Ignorant, partisan nonsense.

America will always be the greatest Nation in the world as long as we remain true to our principles of individual liberty and the rule of law.

More Americans enjoy greater freedom today than at any point in our Nation’s history, and the best America is yet to come once all Americans finally realize their comprehensive civil rights. And Americans’ civil liberties are more secure today than at any point in our Nation’s history.

The current president’s party affiliation is not a legitimate criterion upon which to declare America is ‘no longer great,’ as you and others on the right are wont to do.

Bush's debt was larger than Clintons. I don't hear or see you complaining about that.
The GOP sells the common citizen out also. It's all about the haves and the have nots in the political power spectrum in the USA. Our govt is heavily influenced by corporate lobbyist, intent on making US laws that benefit themselves. All the while the common citizen is made to believe it is Dem vs GOP which is not true, they both have their hands in our pockets, they are the ruling rich elite class that plays with the poli-social position in our masses.

Again, I have no debt now but I did, to buy a house. Some debt not bad but when it exceeds what you are able to pay in interest it becomes a problem.

Reagan's start of the greatest peacetime economic expansion lead to Clinton's "balanced budget." That and a republican congress. But do you give Reagan any credit???

Why do people hate the unions. we think it is stupid to pay some one to get a job, that has no guarantee on hours or income from the union, only the employer, and the massive infiltration of the union by the mafia turning it into a slush fund for their criminal enterprise.

My opinion is that the Unions have become like the corporations they like to hate. Paying their Presidents 10 times what the rank and file get. That and they have ceded what their purpose really was to the government, they made themselves somewhat irrelevant. When our company wanted a union contract the union got raises much over what the company people ever got. In the union they know what they are going to be paid and for what. The company people no such luck. They paid the company people more per hour but pretty much keep taking benefits away.

Again, I have no debt now but I did, to buy a house. Some debt not bad but when it exceeds what you are able to pay in interest it becomes a problem.

Reagan's start of the greatest peacetime economic expansion lead to Clinton's "balanced budget." That and a republican congress. But do you give Reagan any credit???

Sure, but the that economic expansion was due to Silicon Valley and the tech revolution.
Just like the recovery we seek today is being held back by greed and the wealthy.

Forum List

Back