America is not growing hostile towards Chriastians; it is hostile towards religious bullies.

Well done, I love a good rationalization. :thup:
Not entirely sure what you mean by that.

Let me help then.

ra·tion·al·i·za·tion

/ˌraSH(ə)n(ə)ləˈzāSH(ə)n,ˌraSH(ə)n(ə)līˈzāSH(ə)n/

noun

noun: rationalization; plural noun: rationalizations; noun: rationalisation; plural noun: rationalisations

1. the action of attempting to explain or justify behavior or an attitude with logical reasons, even if these are not appropriate.
"most people are prone to self-deceptive rationalization"
And who do you porpose are the ones who are "rationalising"? Me, or those who insist that "America is growing hostile to Christians"?
Both to differing degrees, it's a highly politicized issue, some choose to view it a pervasive, others like you choose to view it differently, both views are highly subjective based on pre-existing bias which obviously leads to self rationalizations. As with most highly politicized issues the reality is frequently somewhere in the middle.

Fair warning RINGEL05- You are engaging in what you suspect is a rational discussion, but I'll bet you lose some hair before you throw your hands in the air and give up.
Funny. I thought Rangel, and I were having a rational discussion. I believe we even came to some common ground in our views. Perhaps, you should read the OP, and find if there is some part of it with which you disagree, and explain why, instead of just shitting on our discussion.

Let me help then.

ra·tion·al·i·za·tion

noun

noun: rationalization; plural noun: rationalizations; noun: rationalisation; plural noun: rationalisations

1. the action of attempting to explain or justify behavior or an attitude with logical reasons, even if these are not appropriate.
And who do you porpose are the ones who are "rationalising"? Me, or those who insist that "America is growing hostile to Christians"?
Both to differing degrees, it's a highly politicized issue, some choose to view it a pervasive, others like you choose to view it differently, both views are highly subjective based on pre-existing bias which obviously leads to self rationalizations. As with most highly politicized issues the reality is frequently somewhere in the middle.

Fair warning RINGEL05- You are engaging in what you suspect is a rational discussion, but I'll bet you lose some hair before you throw your hands in the air and give up.
Also CZERNOBOG and I were having a rational discussion, he believes what he believes and that is perfectly fine, I don't necessarily agree with all his beliefs/contentions, nor does all his concerns affect me and that is perfectly fine also. We all have our windmills we tilt at.

Last edited:

Let me help then.

ra·tion·al·i·za·tion

noun

Funny. I thought Rangel, and I were having a rational discussion. I believe we even came to some common ground in our views. Perhaps, you should read the OP, and find if there is some part of it with which you disagree, and explain why, instead of just shitting on our discussion.
Looking again at your OP title I realized that this may be true to a large degree but with any such movement, human nature being what it is, there's also "spill over" affecting those who are not the supposed "bullies" as well as a certain degree of subjectivity among at least some adherents to your contention.

"America is becoming hostile towards Christians!" This seems to be becoming the most popular battle cry of the religious right of late. A growing number of Christians– a shocking amount, actually– are convinced that America’s glory days are over and that Christians are now a marginalized group on the verge of having all of their rights stripped away. right-wing politicians and religious talking-heads like Franklin Graham are trying to convince people that “religious liberty” is not only being threatened, but on the verge of disappearing.

Really? Disappearing? Recent polls show that around 83% of Americans are Christians. That long line of U.S presidents stemming back to the founding of the nation? Well, except for Abraham Lincoln and Andrew Johnson, all of them were professing Christians to varying degrees. And Congress? You know, the people who actually make the laws we live by in America? Well, that group of people is actually 91.8% Christian. And let’s not forget the Supreme Court, the body that decides which laws are constitutional and which ones are not– that’s predominantly stacked with Christians too, having two justices who are Jewish, and the rest entirely Christians.

If religious liberty is "disappearing", and Christianity is in danger of extinction in America, then Christians are certainly a self-destructive lot - because America is near-entirely controlled by Christians.

But, you see, America isn't becoming hostile towards Christians - it's just had its fill of religious bullies. No one give so much as a single fuck if one is a practicing Christian. There’s no movement to banish churches and put them under government regulation like in China. No one is stopping Christians from gathering together with other believers, from feeding the poor, or even from standing on the street corner with obnoxious signs that say “God hates f*gs!”

Religious freedom, freedom of speech, and the right to assemble are all alive, and well in the United States. These freedoms are not just tolerated; they are embraced. What is not embraced, and what America is becoming increasingly hostile towards, are Christian extremists trying to institute their own version of sharia law that infringes on the rights and liberties of the rest of us. There’s a huge difference between freedom to practice one’s religion in a pluralistic society where we all equally have that right, versus enshrining one’s religious views in laws that are imposed on the rest of us. Just as there is a difference between saying that you want to be free and not forced to marry someone of the same sex, versus wanting to deny that right to someone else you don’t even know. Again, there is a difference between wanting the freedom to own a business and conduct commerce freely in the public square, versus demanding to run a business that discriminates and infringes on the basic rights and dignities of anyone whose personal choices one finds distasteful.

The irony is that the extremists, and politicians would have everyone believe that this is a fight between the "godless", and the believers. Refer back to my paragraph describing just how much political power Christians hold. It isn't atheists, pagans, or other no-Christians opposing these draconian attempts to control the lives of others; it. Is. Christians who have said, "Enough is enough,"

No one is trying to stop you from being a Christian. The country is not growing hostile towards Christians. It’s just growing hostile towards extremist, religious bullies, who are trying to hijack the nation and force everyone to live under their own set of morals and ethics.

Let me help then.

ra·tion·al·i·za·tion

noun

The reality is not in the "middle at all" The reality is that the religious right has fabricated this who thing about Christian persecution, and they have been doing it for a long time. Those of them who actually believe that Christianity is under attack are suffering from a bad case of paranoid delusions and a persecution complex.

The Persecution Myth That Will Never Die | Right Wing Watch

Let me help then.

ra·tion·al·i·za·tion

noun

Rather like to see your evidence of this. You seem to be suggesting that, at least to some degree, America is becoming hostile to Christianity in general. And what would be your evidence of this? Are there churches that are being shut down? Are Christians being denied their right to assemble, and worship? How, precisely, is Christianity being attacked? Not, mind you, efforts to stop Christians from infringing on the rights of others in the name of their "religious convictions", but actual attack on, and infringement of Christians' right to lawfully practice their religion.
Perspective is everything......... It's difficult in this area to show evidence as one person's convictions are another's infringement and vice versa plus convictions can be viewed as positive or negative depending on the viewer's interpretation.
There are Christians who want to impose their idea of what society should look like and blame non-Christians for all the evils in the world. Conversely there are non-Christians who blame Christians for all the evils in the world and and would ban or bar the practice of Christianity or any religion for that matter. Granted both those extremes are thankfully in the minority but they do exist.
Let me ask you a question that may answer yours, do you think religious people have a right to political representation or not, political representation that espouses and promotes their viewpoint?
My perspective is that religious people have distorted and bastardized the whole concept of religious freedom to advance their agenda:

Two meanings of religious freedom/liberty:1. Freedom of belief, speech, practice. 2. Freedom to restrict services, hate, denigrate, or oppress others.

1. The historical meaning of religious freedom:
This term relates to the personal freedom:
•Of religious belief,
•Of religious speech,
•Of religious assembly with fellow believers,
•Of religious proselytizing and recruitment, and
•To change one's religion from one faith group to another -- or to decide to have no religious affiliation -- or vice-versa.

The individual believer has often been the target of oppression for thinking or speaking unorthodox thoughts, for assembling with and recruiting others, and for changing their religious affiliation. Typically, the aggressors have been large religious groups and governments. Freedom from such oppression is the meaning that we generally use on this web site to refer to any of the four terms: religious freedom, religious liberty, freedom of worship and freedom to worship.

2. A rapidly emerging new meaning of religious freedom: the freedom to discriminate and denigrate:

In recent years, religious freedom is taking on a new meaning: the freedom and liberty of a believer apply their religious beliefs in order to hate, oppress, deny service to, denigrate, discriminate against, and/or reduce the human rights of minorities.
Now, the direction of the oppression has reversed. It is now the believer who is the oppressor -- typically fundamentalist and evangelical Christians and other religious conservatives. Others -- typically some women, as well as sexual, and other minorities -- are the targets. This new meaning is becoming increasingly common. It appears that this change is begin driven by a number of factors:

•The increasing public acceptance of women's use of birth control/contraceptives. This is a practice regarded as a personal decision by most faith groups, but is actively opposed by the Roman Catholic and a few other conservative faith groups.
•The increasing public acceptance of equal rights for sexual minorities including Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals, Transgender persons and transsexuals -- the LGBT community (); and
•The increasing percentage of NOTAs in North America. These are individuals who are NOT Affiliated with an organized faith group. Some identify themselves as Agnostics, Atheists secularists, Humanists, free thinkers, etc. Others say that they are spiritual, but not religious.

The media often refer to NOTAs as "NONES" because they are affiliated to NONE of the faith groups. However, the words Nones and Nuns are homophones: words that sound alike but are spelled differently and which hold very different meanings. To avoid confusion, we recommend against this practice and recommend the unambiguous term "NOTA."

One interesting feature of this "religious freedom to discriminate" is that it generally has people treating others as they would not wish to be treated themselves. It seems to be little noticed among those who practice or advocate "religious freedom to discriminate" that this way of treating people is a direct contradiction to the Golden Rule, which Jesus required all his followers to practice. See Matthew 7:12, Luke 6:31, and the Gospel of Thomas, 6.

Source: Religious freedom & the freedom to discriminate

Let me help then.

ra·tion·al·i·za·tion

noun

The reality is not in the "middle at all" The reality is that the religious right has fabricated this who thing about Christian persecution, and they have been doing it for a long time. Those of them who actually believe that Christianity is under attack are suffering from a bad case of paranoid delusions and a persecution complex.

You rely on Right Wing Watch for your info? That would be the equivalent of the right relying on Hannity for facts.........

Let me help then.

ra·tion·al·i·za·tion

noun

Rather like to see your evidence of this. You seem to be suggesting that, at least to some degree, America is becoming hostile to Christianity in general. And what would be your evidence of this? Are there churches that are being shut down? Are Christians being denied their right to assemble, and worship? How, precisely, is Christianity being attacked? Not, mind you, efforts to stop Christians from infringing on the rights of others in the name of their "religious convictions", but actual attack on, and infringement of Christians' right to lawfully practice their religion.
Perspective is everything......... It's difficult in this area to show evidence as one person's convictions are another's infringement and vice versa plus convictions can be viewed as positive or negative depending on the viewer's interpretation.
There are Christians who want to impose their idea of what society should look like and blame non-Christians for all the evils in the world. Conversely there are non-Christians who blame Christians for all the evils in the world and and would ban or bar the practice of Christianity or any religion for that matter. Granted both those extremes are thankfully in the minority but they do exist.
Let me ask you a question that may answer yours, do you think religious people have a right to political representation or not, political representation that espouses and promotes their viewpoint?
My perspective is that religious people have distorted and bastardized the whole concept of religious freedom to advance their agenda:

Two meanings of religious freedom/liberty:1. Freedom of belief, speech, practice. 2. Freedom to restrict services, hate, denigrate, or oppress others.

1. The historical meaning of religious freedom:
This term relates to the personal freedom:
•Of religious belief,
•Of religious speech,
•Of religious assembly with fellow believers,
•Of religious proselytizing and recruitment, and
•To change one's religion from one faith group to another -- or to decide to have no religious affiliation -- or vice-versa.

The individual believer has often been the target of oppression for thinking or speaking unorthodox thoughts, for assembling with and recruiting others, and for changing their religious affiliation. Typically, the aggressors have been large religious groups and governments. Freedom from such oppression is the meaning that we generally use on this web site to refer to any of the four terms: religious freedom, religious liberty, freedom of worship and freedom to worship.

2. A rapidly emerging new meaning of religious freedom: the freedom to discriminate and denigrate:

In recent years, religious freedom is taking on a new meaning: the freedom and liberty of a believer apply their religious beliefs in order to hate, oppress, deny service to, denigrate, discriminate against, and/or reduce the human rights of minorities.
Now, the direction of the oppression has reversed. It is now the believer who is the oppressor -- typically fundamentalist and evangelical Christians and other religious conservatives. Others -- typically some women, as well as sexual, and other minorities -- are the targets. This new meaning is becoming increasingly common. It appears that this change is begin driven by a number of factors:

•The increasing public acceptance of women's use of birth control/contraceptives. This is a practice regarded as a personal decision by most faith groups, but is actively opposed by the Roman Catholic and a few other conservative faith groups.
•The increasing public acceptance of equal rights for sexual minorities including Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals, Transgender persons and transsexuals -- the LGBT community (); and
•The increasing percentage of NOTAs in North America. These are individuals who are NOT Affiliated with an organized faith group. Some identify themselves as Agnostics, Atheists secularists, Humanists, free thinkers, etc. Others say that they are spiritual, but not religious.

The media often refer to NOTAs as "NONES" because they are affiliated to NONE of the faith groups. However, the words Nones and Nuns are homophones: words that sound alike but are spelled differently and which hold very different meanings. To avoid confusion, we recommend against this practice and recommend the unambiguous term "NOTA."

One interesting feature of this "religious freedom to discriminate" is that it generally has people treating others as they would not wish to be treated themselves. It seems to be little noticed among those who practice or advocate "religious freedom to discriminate" that this way of treating people is a direct contradiction to the Golden Rule, which Jesus required all his followers to practice. See Matthew 7:12, Luke 6:31, and the Gospel of Thomas, 6.

Source: Religious freedom & the freedom to discriminate
Uuummmm, nice cut and paste, can't think for yourself, can ya. :thup:
You bring nothing to the table but your perverse bias and hatred so basically you're so full of shit your eyes are brown. When you have an actual argument come back.

Last edited:
The difference between Dominionism and Sharia Law is that I don't have to worry about this country voting for Sharia Law.

Let me help then.

ra·tion·al·i·za·tion

noun

You rely on Right Wing Watch for your info? That would be the equivalent of the right relying on Hannity for facts.........
I guess you didn't notice that it is annotated with my own remarks

Let me help then.

ra·tion·al·i·za·tion

noun

Thank you for admitting that you are ignorant about RRW:

Right Wing Watch is a project of People For the American Way (PFAW) dedicated to monitoring and exposing the activities and rhetoric of right-wing activists and organizations in order to expose their extreme agenda. Our researchers monitor dozens of broadcasts, emails and websites, and use their expertise on right-wing movements to analyze and distill that information for media, allies and the general public. By shedding light on the activities of the right-wing movement, we help expose the risks its extreme and intolerant agenda presents to our country. We do not endorse the views of groups that we report on.

People For the American Way is a progressive advocacy organization founded to fight right-wing extremism and defend constitutional values including free expression, religious liberty, equal justice under the law, and the right to meaningfully participate in our democracy. You can learn more about PFAW’s work on our website at www.pfaw.org.

Let me help then.

ra·tion·al·i·za·tion

noun

Yeah I did but that doesn't change the fact that your conclusions are based in bias and hatred.

Let me help then.

ra·tion·al·i·za·tion

noun

Right Wing Watch is a project of People For the American Way (PFAW) dedicated to monitoring and exposing the activities and rhetoric of right-wing activists and organizations in order to expose their extreme agenda. Our researchers monitor dozens of broadcasts, emails and websites, and use their expertise on right-wing movements to analyze and distill that information for media, allies and the general public. By shedding light on the activities of the right-wing movement, we help expose the risks its extreme and intolerant agenda presents to our country. We do not endorse the views of groups that we report on.

People For the American Way is a progressive advocacy organization founded to fight right-wing extremism and defend constitutional values including free expression, religious liberty, equal justice under the law, and the right to meaningfully participate in our democracy. You can learn more about PFAW’s work on our website at www.pfaw.org.
Believe what you want to believe, you have the right to be as wrong as you choose to be...... Ain't America great..........

Let me help then.

ra·tion·al·i·za·tion

noun

Oh and the far right put their faith in Hannity and Lush Limpjaw just as you put yours in RWW and PFAW......... That speaks volumes to anyone who is non partisan and utilizes critical thinking skills.......
Czernobog and I were having a rational discussion on the subject where we did find some common ground. I would suggest you read the exchange, you can agree or disagree, the choice is yours not that it really matters to me. :thup:

Yeah I did but that doesn't change the fact that your conclusions are based in bias and hatred.
Hatred??!! Bias?? Where is the bias? What is it that you can refute, and where EXACTLY did I or the author express hatred? Interesting how you first accuse me of not thinking for myself and then say that I'm biased and hatful. Show me a sign that you have a working brain.

Oh and the far right put their faith in Hannity and Lush Limpjaw just as you put yours in RWW and PFAW......... That speaks volumes to anyone who is non partisan and utilizes critical thinking skills.......
Czernobog and I were having a rational discussion on the subject where we did find some common ground. I would suggest you read the exchange, you can agree or disagree, the choice is yours not that it really matters to me. :thup:
I don't care what was going on between you and any one else. I posted information that is relevant, interesting and credible to the topic at which time you attacked me personally as not being able to think for myself, then you attacked the source of my info. I then responded to you and now all that you seem to be able to do is to dodge my comments.

I have all the sympathy in the world for Christians who get slaughtered in the Middle East because of their faith.

I have no sympathy at all for Christian Conservatives who cry persecution in America because they don't get their way.

Hatred??!! Bias?? Where is the bias? What is it that you can refute, and where EXACTLY did I or the author express hatred? Interesting how you first accuse me of not thinking for myself and then say that I'm biased and hatful. Show me a sign that you have a working brain.
All I have to do is point to your postings to prove it.

I have all the sympathy in the world for Christians who get slaughtered in the Middle East because of their faith.

I have no sympathy at all for Christian Conservatives who cry persecution in America because they don't get their way.
Neither do I, good thing we're talking about a small but vocal minority in this country.

I don't care what was going on between you and any one else. I posted information that is relevant, interesting and credible to the topic at which time you attacked me personally as not being able to think for myself, then you attacked the source of my info. I then responded to you and now all that you seem to be able to do is to dodge my comments.
Look up bias reinforcement and justification. When you have something that isn't highly partisan and actually relevant then feel free to hop back in. :thup:

Neither do I, good thing we're talking about a small but vocal minority in this country.
Yeah...my concern is that that vocal minority is making some disturbing headway. They have found a way to legislate legal abortion centers out of several states; they are getting "slut shaming" ultrasound laws passed, they are getting "fag shaming" bathroom bills passed. I agree that they are a vocal minority. Unfortunately, because of a near decade of Republican redistricting, and gerrymandering, we have created an environment, where that vocal minority is the only voice that politicians feel the need to listen to, and, as a result, they are getting things done that, in a sane, and rational environment, they would otherwise never come close to.

This rather concerns me, and needs to change. Which means that Progressives need to stop thinking "nationally", as if electing a President is the universal panacea, and no other races really matter. We need to start worrying about state races, including gubernatorial races, and state legislations, and realise that they matter, too.

Forum List

Back