America: A House Divided

When it comes to the truth, compromise is idiotic. Why would anyone compromise on what is true? That kinda defeats the purpose of truth and renders it untruthful. So, sometimes, as ugly as it may seem, one "side" has to win and the other "side" has to lose for truth to prevail.
What is your definition of "truth" in this context?

I don't know what you mean... you want me to define what truth means? :dunno:

"Yeah, this country is terribly divided, it's killing us, and it's all THEIR fault, THOSE guys, over THERE."

:rolleyes-41:

No kidding. The problem is (as I see it) that everyday American's refuse to accept the truth. The Party's are two sides of the same coin. Everything, including our concept of freedom and choice is an illusion.

When it comes to the truth, compromise is idiotic. Why would anyone compromise on what is true? That kinda defeats the purpose of truth and renders it untruthful. So, sometimes, as ugly as it may seem, one "side" has to win and the other "side" has to lose for truth to prevail.

Yes. You said "when it comes to the truth, compromise is idiotic."

What is "the truth"? For example, do you mean being honest ("mom, I broke the vase") or some over-arcing Truth of Life?

I spent 2 hours watching Fox News, and another 2 hours watching MSNBC last weekend. It was like listening to 2 completely different and hostile counties. Each side sought to drive up their ratings by trashing the other side, while turning a blind eye to their own faults. If this attitude is allowed to grow and fester, America may not be here much longer. I know it's fun to trash the other side, but Conservatives and Liberals are going to have to wake up to the fact that one side is not going to push the other off the planet. Compromise and respect for each other are not signs of weakness, they are signs of intelligence. Maybe it's time to insist our lawmakers and our media outlets learn this lesson...before it's too late.

P.S. A very wise man once said: "A house divided against itself cannot stand"
Like you, President Trump believes Fox News is a news station.

What is "the truth"? For example, do you mean being honest ("mom, I broke the vase") or some over-arcing Truth of Life?

I mean just what I said... there is only ONE truth. There aren't TWO truths. You either broke a vase or you didn't break a vase... there is not a way for both things to be true. You cannot break the vase yet not break the vase at the same time. So one thing is true and anything else is not true. There is nothing to compromise, the truth is the truth and anything that isn't the truth is not true.

I mean just what I said... there is only ONE truth. There aren't TWO truths. You either broke a vase or you didn't break a vase... there is not a way for both things to be true. You cannot break the vase yet not break the vase at the same time. So one thing is true and anything else is not true. There is nothing to compromise, the truth is the truth and anything that isn't the truth is not true.
Okay, what is an example or two of a truth or truths that you feel the other "side" has wrong?

I spent 2 hours watching Fox News, and another 2 hours watching MSNBC last weekend. It was like listening to 2 completely different and hostile counties. Each side sought to drive up their ratings by trashing the other side, while turning a blind eye to their own faults. If this attitude is allowed to grow and fester, America may not be here much longer. I know it's fun to trash the other side, but Conservatives and Liberals are going to have to wake up to the fact that one side is not going to push the other off the planet. Compromise and respect for each other are not signs of weakness, they are signs of intelligence. Maybe it's time to insist our lawmakers and our media outlets learn this lesson...before it's too late.

I have no respect for the Left and no interest in compromise with them.

"We" are not a house divided, but two separate camps altogether: Americans who value the laws and traditions of the nation as created by the Founders, and those who wish to destroy those laws and traditions and replace them with something foreign, repressive and utterly unsavory.

To the Left compromise means capitulation.

Yup. They seek incremental victory. Give them nothing.

Okay, what is an example or two of a truth or truths that you feel the other "side" has wrong?

It doesn't matter, you can apply it to anything. There is only one truth. There is no situation where two truths simultaneously exist. Two different things can both be true at the same time but the same thing can't have multiple truths.

Is this hard to wrap you brain around or something? :dunno:

It doesn't matter, you can apply it to anything. There is only one truth. There is no situation where two truths simultaneously exist. Two different things can both be true at the same time but the same thing can't have multiple truths.

Is this hard to wrap you brain around or something? :dunno:
Could be that's it's just too complicated for me.

But it sure seems to me that "the Truth" for many people is simply a euphemism for "stuff that I agree with".

Yes, that's half the story, anyway.
We are divided because the ruling elite want us divided and they control much of the government and media. The wealthy like those in Hollywood and Wall Street, are part of the ruling elite. Keeping Americans divided allows them to take power and wealth. They buy the politicians with their enormous wealth. Both parties work in tandem to enrich and empower themselves.

Democrats hide it better and throw lifesavers. With Republicans its on full display and do not give a rip about life savers.
See? Now this post is a good example. The poster thinks Ds are different from Rs. Duped again.

They sure are, the GOP can careless about the less fortunate and mainly run by white CINO people. The Freedom Caucus does not even pretend to care , but even the Ryans of the GOP are disgusting.

Like I said Dems hide it better and give life savers which the GOP wants to take away.

We have a huge Class Divide and growing every year.
Yeha, sure they are, stupid twit, here the Republicans believe that when you bring jobs to people then people can earn a living, taking personal pride in what they do, while supporting their families.
Liberals believe that people are too stupid, too black, or female, too victimized to do a job, so Uncle Sugar is there to take care of them as long as they don't leave the plantation, or else be called Oreos, Uncle Toms, or other race baiting names. Yeah, you liberals sure are wanting to take care of the poor, because Obama put even more in poverty. When everyone is poor and miserable, then everyone is equal, that is called FAIRNESS.

Poverty level under Obama breaks 50-year record
Fifty years after President Johnson started a $20 trillion taxpayer-funded war on poverty, the overall percentage of impoverished people in the U.S. has declined only slightly and the poor have lost ground under President Obama.

What jobs, Wall street jobs, MIC jobs, military jobs. Yes really needed. Led us right into the 29 depression and 08 recession and Trump and the GOP will lead us into another increase of Class Divide and less and less jobs for the blue collar worker and low income white collar worker.

Like you, President Trump believes Fox News is a news station.
Name a station that you think is "news".

I think we're mistaken to take the current political divide in the US as a serious indication of underlying social discord. It's the two parties vying for control of our government who are bitterly opposed. Their opposition spills over into society - more so in this last election than any I've seen - but I think we have it backward if we think a social dispute is driving the politics. It's the other way around.

I also think it's important to recognize how much the partisan divide is driven by the rules we use for elections and lawmaking. With plurality, winner-take-all voting, there's simply no incentive for leaders to build broad consensus. Arguably, it's a waste of political capital to do so. This is why Democrats voted for a health care law with slim majority support. They didn't need more than a slim majority to pass the bill and had no incentive to write a law that would appeal to more voters. Now that the Republicans are in power, they're likely to do the same thing. They'll squeeze in the most radical changes they can manage, as long as they can eek out a win. And the pendulum will swing back after they push it too far, as they almost certainly will.

My point here is that the more or less even split between the left and right our country isn't a reflection of a real split in our values. It's an artifact or the two-party system, which is itself an artifact of our election systems. If we want to unite the country we have to address the root cause and fix the system.

I like to use Gay Marriage as an example.

I think we're mistaken to take the current political divide in the US as a serious indication of underlying social discord. It's the two parties vying for control of our government who are bitterly opposed. Their opposition spills over into society - more so in this last election than any I've seen - but I think we have it backward if we think a social dispute is driving the politics. It's the other way around.

I also think it's important to recognize how much the partisan divide is driven by the rules we use for elections and lawmaking. With plurality, winner-take-all voting, there's simply no incentive for leaders to build broad consensus. Arguably, it's a waste of political capital to do so. This is why Democrats voted for a health care law with slim majority support. They didn't need more than a slim majority to pass the bill and had no incentive to write a law that would appeal to more voters. Now that the Republicans are in power, they're likely to do the same thing. They'll squeeze in the most radical changes they can manage, as long as they can eek out a win. And the pendulum will swing back after they push it too far, as they almost certainly will.

My point here is that the more or less even split between the left and right our country isn't a reflection of a real split in our values. It's an artifact or the two-party system, which is itself an artifact of our election systems. If we want to unite the country we have to address the root cause and fix the system.

Well said, I would replace "artifact" with "weapon" though, but that's just me.

The parties are actually far more cozy with each other than the constituents they represent.

Republicans in Congress are a pathetic paper tiger, and Democrats in Congress are wolves in sheep's clothing.

People have been crying "we've never been so divided!" since the beginning of the Republic.

Forum List

Back