Am I the only one who sees the glaring flaw in the "logic" here?

So Mr. Sean Ryan here of Columbia University is on to discuss (promote?) a couple of "safe spaces" that Columbia has set up for their African-American students and their homosexual students. Tucker Carlson of Fox News wisely points out that this is going back to the days of segregation - and defeats the argument that diversity is critical.

Here is where things get really bizarre - Sean Ryan states that these spaces are vital because "isolationism" has caused a host of serious issues for students - including suicide. Yet neither he nor Tucker Carlson saw the obvious flaw here: creating these spaces is causing the isolation. When you take a subset of people out of their community and place them in rooms with a small group of people exactly like them - you have isolated them from the rest of their community. :eusa_doh:

Yes, I see the questionable logic here as well as the total disconnect from reality. When I was in college, segregation was still legal, but many, if not most, places had already desegregated. Certainly that was the case with most universities. So among my classmates in college were black people, brown people, Asian people, local Indians, a smattering of foreign student, along with white people who made up the majority.

But that was in the days before political correctness became a religion, but good manners and courtesy was expected of all in the culture. So bullying was not a blood sport and the student body did not go out of their way to make the minority students feel different or in need of a safe space.

That was also when universities encouraged critical thinking, logic, reason, and consideration and exchange of all manner of ideas. We had speakers on campus ranging from everything from the Temperance Society, Birchers, Communists, environmentalists, and military experts, and would you believe not a single student needed a 'safe space' to protect them from unpopular theories or ideology different from their own? And nobody would presume to be unkind or hostile to or treat any of those speakers with anything other than the utmost respect.

I long for higher education to return to a culture of good manners and respect and allow exchange of ideas and differences of opinion instead of being high priced indoctrination centers.

a culture of good manners and respect and allow exchange of ideas and differences of opinion
If that were the case, no one would be asking for safe spaces. Respect, good manners and allowing for the exchange of ideas goes both ways. The people here calling college students "weenies" for asking for a place they won't be harassed is an indication of how intolerant some people still are. I think.

The only groups that are harassed routinely on college campuses are Jews and Christians.

.....and by the very people for whom you require a safe place where they can express their hatred.

What are we using our military for if not to create safe spaces for our "job creator" class to "do business" in across the globe?
Uh-oh....another fragile little snowflake "triggered" because other people have more money and have been more successful than she has.

So Mr. Sean Ryan here of Columbia University is on to discuss (promote?) a couple of "safe spaces" that Columbia has set up for their African-American students and their homosexual students. Tucker Carlson of Fox News wisely points out that this is going back to the days of segregation - and defeats the argument that diversity is critical.

Here is where things get really bizarre - Sean Ryan states that these spaces are vital because "isolationism" has caused a host of serious issues for students - including suicide. Yet neither he nor Tucker Carlson saw the obvious flaw here: creating these spaces is causing the isolation. When you take a subset of people out of their community and place them in rooms with a small group of people exactly like them - you have isolated them from the rest of their community. :eusa_doh:

Yes, I see the questionable logic here as well as the total disconnect from reality. When I was in college, segregation was still legal, but many, if not most, places had already desegregated. Certainly that was the case with most universities. So among my classmates in college were black people, brown people, Asian people, local Indians, a smattering of foreign student, along with white people who made up the majority.

But that was in the days before political correctness became a religion, but good manners and courtesy was expected of all in the culture. So bullying was not a blood sport and the student body did not go out of their way to make the minority students feel different or in need of a safe space.

That was also when universities encouraged critical thinking, logic, reason, and consideration and exchange of all manner of ideas. We had speakers on campus ranging from everything from the Temperance Society, Birchers, Communists, environmentalists, and military experts, and would you believe not a single student needed a 'safe space' to protect them from unpopular theories or ideology different from their own? And nobody would presume to be unkind or hostile to or treat any of those speakers with anything other than the utmost respect.

I long for higher education to return to a culture of good manners and respect and allow exchange of ideas and differences of opinion instead of being high priced indoctrination centers.

'94 to '96 I went to a Liberal Arts college (heavy on the Liberal) on a job retraining program. As a cowboy boot and hat wearing 45+ year old Conservative, many of the professors and most of the younger students basically ran me off of the campus. Professors gave me very low grades, even though many of my exams got good marks, simply because I would not, and could not, accept their truths on the superiority of Liberalism. I made the mistake of challenging the professors and resenting my views, observations, and experiences.

I went back to my grant administrator, showed him be evidence, and he put my grant on an indefinite hold. Several years later, after clearing a few hurdles, I was issued a new grant and got a degree in Integrated Computer Technology from a school that sought out and appreciated older students.

I hear that.

I was blessed with a university education that did not include any form of ideology or partisanship. To this day, I could not tell you the ideological or political or religious leanings of any of my professors, because they ALL presented both sides of every issue and argument without prejudice and encouraged us to consider it critically and logically and come up with a reasoned conclusion. We didn't always agree, but we were graded on the merit of a competent argument and not on the merit of what the professor thought to be the correct conclusion. (In science, math, and other fixed subjects of course we were required to arrive at a specific answer. :) )

But I will always appreciate and feel blessed by receiving an education like that. And I pity those leaving college indoctrinated instead of being educated.

That is the only glaring logic failure here, the bizarre claim that because at a 'safe space' exists, it means the people never leave it.
Bwahahahahaha! The same was said by your side of the aisle during segregation, snowflake. It was ok to make black people use separate bathrooms and drink from separate water fountains because they were integrated at "other" times with white people.

Your hate, racism, and ignorance is always on display mammaries! It's almost like you're proud of it... :lmao:

'94 to '96 I went to a Liberal Arts college (heavy on the Liberal) on a job retraining program. As a cowboy boot and hat wearing 45+ year old Conservative, many of the professors and most of the younger students basically ran me off of the campus. Professors gave me very low grades, even though many of my exams got good marks, simply because I would not, and could not, accept their truths on the superiority of Liberalism. I made the mistake of challenging the professors and resenting my views, observations, and experiences.

I went back to my grant administrator, showed him be evidence, and he put my grant on an indefinite hold. Several years later, after clearing a few hurdles, I was issued a new grant and got a degree in Integrated Computer Technology from a school that sought out and appreciated older students.

I hear that.

I was blessed with a university education that did not include any form of ideology or partisanship. To this day, I could not tell you the ideological leanings of any of my professors, because they ALL presented both sides of every issue and argument without prejudice and encouraged us to consider it critically and logically and come up with a reasoned conclusion. We didn't always agree, but we were graded on the merit of a competent argument and not on the merit of what the professor thought to be the correct conclusion. (In science, math, and other fixed subjects of course we were required to arrive at a specific answer. :) )

But I will always appreciate and feel blessed by receiving an education like that. And I pity those leaving college indoctrinated instead of being educated.

For many americans, an education is tantamount to indoctrination; their television said so.

So we're not going to allow the market to decide? Poor Tuck misses a lot of obvious shit.
Public universities are funded by the taxpayers, dumbass.
And it is up to students and their parents to decide where they go and who they will support dumbass.
I don't the option of not paying for it, dumbass.
You ain't paid for shit your whole life.

Apparently obvious lies are what you have devolved to.

Most of the ugliness here from the far right comes from people in their sixties and older.

They are dying off, the world of their youth is gone forever, and the Republic is different from then and will continue to be so.

All of their crying means absolutely nothing in reality. Nothing.

That is the only glaring logic failure here, the bizarre claim that because at a 'safe space' exists, it means the people never leave it.

I know, the snowflakes will now be very angry at us for pointing out such an obvious thing. The solution? A safe space for conservative snowflakes here on USMB, where liberals won't be allowed to contaminate the purity of conservative thought with logic and reason.
We already have that in the Conservative Lounge, don't we?

So we're not going to allow the market to decide? Poor Tuck misses a lot of obvious shit.
Public universities are funded by the taxpayers, dumbass.
And it is up to students and their parents to decide where they go and who they will support dumbass.
I don't the option of not paying for it, dumbass.
You ain't paid for shit your whole life.

Apparently obvious lies are what you have devolved to.

You post that as if you have a problem with it, and your other posts illustrate that you don't at all.

a culture of good manners and respect and allow exchange of ideas and differences of opinion
If that were the case, no one would be asking for safe spaces. Respect, good manners and allowing for the exchange of ideas goes both ways. The people here calling college students "weenies" for asking for a place they won't be harassed is an indication of how intolerant some people still are. I think.

The only groups that are harassed routinely on college campuses are Jews and Christians.

.....and by the very people for whom you require a safe place where they can express their hatred.

Interesting take. I guess where I've been, religion is the LAST thing millenials are going to throw a fit over.

The term "political correctness is often code, and it's been pretty well established that many whites prefer them good ole days where segregation was still the law of the land. It felt like a safe space to them.

It's been pretty well established that you are a bigoted, hateful moron.
Stay in your safe space shoog.

Addle-brained as usual. I'm not the one who advocates for and supports the ideology that results in Safe Space Newspeak Brainscrubbing.

Sure you do, you just want it your way.

^^^ Diagnosis: Projection ^^^

Most of the ugliness here from the far right comes from people in their sixties and older.

They are dying off, the world of their youth is gone forever, and the Republic is different from then and will continue to be so.

All of their crying means absolutely nothing in reality. Nothing.

That's funny coming from a senile old coot like you.

The term "political correctness is often code, and it's been pretty well established that many whites prefer them good ole days where segregation was still the law of the land. It felt like a safe space to them.

"Code" is "code" for I am a pussy troll who really has nothing valid to add so he/she will just act tough. If one needs a "safe space because one is terrified of "micro aggressions" one should just crawl back into mommy's basement where one can feel "safe".

I know, the snowflakes will now be very angry at us for pointing out such an obvious thing. The solution? A safe space for conservative snowflakes here on USMB, where liberals won't be allowed to contaminate the purity of conservative thought with logic and reason.
We already have that in the Conservative Lounge, don't we?
That's not what they're after, they are after never having to hear anything other than the fiction of the american political system.

Forum List

Back