Am I the only one who sees the glaring flaw in the "logic" here?

So Mr. Sean Ryan here of Columbia University is on to discuss (promote?) a couple of "safe spaces" that Columbia has set up for their African-American students and their homosexual students. Tucker Carlson of Fox News wisely points out that this is going back to the days of segregation - and defeats the argument that diversity is critical.

Here is where things get really bizarre - Sean Ryan states that these spaces are vital because "isolationism" has caused a host of serious issues for students - including suicide. Yet neither he nor Tucker Carlson saw the obvious flaw here: creating these spaces is causing the isolation. When you take a subset of people out of their community and place them in rooms with a small group of people exactly like them - you have isolated them from the rest of their community. :eusa_doh:

Yes, I see the questionable logic here as well as the total disconnect from reality. When I was in college, segregation was still legal, but many, if not most, places had already desegregated. Certainly that was the case with most universities. So among my classmates in college were black people, brown people, Asian people, local Indians, a smattering of foreign student, along with white people who made up the majority.

But that was in the days before political correctness became a religion, but good manners and courtesy was expected of all in the culture. So bullying was not a blood sport and the student body did not go out of their way to make the minority students feel different or in need of a safe space.

That was also when universities encouraged critical thinking, logic, reason, and consideration and exchange of all manner of ideas. We had speakers on campus ranging from everything from the Temperance Society, Birchers, Communists, environmentalists, and military experts, and would you believe not a single student needed a 'safe space' to protect them from unpopular theories or ideology different from their own? And nobody would presume to be unkind or hostile to or treat any of those speakers with anything other than the utmost respect.

I long for higher education to return to a culture of good manners and respect and allow exchange of ideas and differences of opinion instead of being high priced indoctrination centers.

The term "political correctness is often code, and it's been pretty well established that many whites prefer them good ole days where segregation was still the law of the land. It felt like a safe space to them.

You need a better class of friends. I don't know ANY people, white or any other color, who think segregation should be the law of the land. And safe spaces have nothing to do with that--my compliments on introducing a nice red herring though--but I do know people who refuse to consider any other point of view than the partisan or ideological one and who think college students should have places safe from any kind of scary ideas..

I'll pass, but thanks so much for the offer.

So Mr. Sean Ryan here of Columbia University is on to discuss (promote?) a couple of "safe spaces" that Columbia has set up for their African-American students and their homosexual students. Tucker Carlson of Fox News wisely points out that this is going back to the days of segregation - and defeats the argument that diversity is critical.

Here is where things get really bizarre - Sean Ryan states that these spaces are vital because "isolationism" has caused a host of serious issues for students - including suicide. Yet neither he nor Tucker Carlson saw the obvious flaw here: creating these spaces is causing the isolation. When you take a subset of people out of their community and place them in rooms with a small group of people exactly like them - you have isolated them from the rest of their community. :eusa_doh:

Yes, I see the questionable logic here as well as the total disconnect from reality. When I was in college, segregation was still legal, but many, if not most, places had already desegregated. Certainly that was the case with most universities. So among my classmates in college were black people, brown people, Asian people, local Indians, a smattering of foreign student, along with white people who made up the majority.

But that was in the days before political correctness became a religion, but good manners and courtesy was expected of all in the culture. So bullying was not a blood sport and the student body did not go out of their way to make the minority students feel different or in need of a safe space.

That was also when universities encouraged critical thinking, logic, reason, and consideration and exchange of all manner of ideas. We had speakers on campus ranging from everything from the Temperance Society, Birchers, Communists, environmentalists, and military experts, and would you believe not a single student needed a 'safe space' to protect them from unpopular theories or ideology different from their own? And nobody would presume to be unkind or hostile to or treat any of those speakers with anything other than the utmost respect.

I long for higher education to return to a culture of good manners and respect and allow exchange of ideas and differences of opinion instead of being high priced indoctrination centers.

The term "political correctness is often code, and it's been pretty well established that many whites prefer them good ole days where segregation was still the law of the land. It felt like a safe space to them.

It's been pretty well established that you are a bigoted, hateful moron.

Stay in your safe space shoog.

Well, if you are a minority that tends to get dissed, it doesn't hurt to have a place to go where you're not going to get mocked for being a faggot or handed a banana by a guy in a gorilla suit. A place where you can relax. I don't know that it causes unhealthy isolation. They don't LIVE in their safe space. I see your point, but they do attend classes, eat lunch, go to school functions, etc.

a culture of good manners and respect and allow exchange of ideas and differences of opinion
If that were the case, no one would be asking for safe spaces. Respect, good manners and allowing for the exchange of ideas goes both ways. The people here calling college students "weenies" for asking for a place they won't be harassed is an indication of how intolerant some people still are. I think.

Well, if you are a minority that tends to get dissed, it doesn't hurt to have a place to go where you're not going to get mocked for being a faggot or handed a banana by a guy in a gorilla suit. A place where you can relax. I don't know that it causes unhealthy isolation. They don't LIVE in their safe space. I see your point, but they do attend classes, eat lunch, go to school functions, etc.

The purpose is abject conformity to the power structure and many never wanted "minorities" to be part of society anyway. The issue most have with a university or that entire learning experience is that this is where the system gets questioned. That's intolerable to many of a certain persuasion. The Powell Memo comes to mind.

So we're not going to allow the market to decide? Poor Tuck misses a lot of obvious shit.
Who said anything about the government stepping in, snowflake? We're simply pointing out how they are causing the problem, being hypocrites, and violating segregation laws.

Addle-brained as usual. I'm not the one who advocates for and supports the ideology that results in Safe Space Newspeak Brainscrubbing.

Addle-brained as usual. I'm not the one who advocates for and supports the ideology that results in Safe Space Newspeak Brainscrubbing.

Sure you do, you just want it your way.

That is the only glaring logic failure here, the bizarre claim that because at a 'safe space' exists, it means the people never leave it.

I know, the snowflakes will now be very angry at us for pointing out such an obvious thing. The solution? A safe space for conservative snowflakes here on USMB, where liberals won't be allowed to contaminate the purity of conservative thought with logic and reason.

No, you're not missing anything, this stuff is indeed absurd.

And it strengthens my theory that the Regressive Left really isn't trying to improve anything. They're perfectly okay with isolating blacks if they see political advantage in it.

It's worked for them for generations now, and it's been very successful politically for them.

Isolating an entire race of people for political gain. It doesn't get much more cynical than that.

That is the only glaring logic failure here, the bizarre claim that because at a 'safe space' exists, it means the people never leave it.

I know, the snowflakes will now be very angry at us for pointing out such an obvious thing. The solution? A safe space for conservative snowflakes here on USMB, where liberals won't be allowed to contaminate the purity of conservative thought with logic and reason.

See? Like I said.

a culture of good manners and respect and allow exchange of ideas and differences of opinion
If that were the case, no one would be asking for safe spaces. Respect, good manners and allowing for the exchange of ideas goes both ways. The people here calling college students "weenies" for asking for a place they won't be harassed is an indication of how intolerant some people still are. I think.

200w.gif

Last edited:

200w.gif

Someone's safe space was invaded.

Forum List

Back