Am I the only one who sees the glaring flaw in the "logic" here?

P@triot

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2011
United States
So Mr. Sean Ryan here of Columbia University is on to discuss (promote?) a couple of "safe spaces" that Columbia has set up for their African-American students and their homosexual students. Tucker Carlson of Fox News wisely points out that this is going back to the days of segregation - and defeats the argument that diversity is critical.

Here is where things get really bizarre - Sean Ryan states that these spaces are vital because "isolationism" has caused a host of serious issues for students - including suicide. Yet neither he nor Tucker Carlson saw the obvious flaw here: creating these spaces is causing the isolation. When you take a subset of people out of their community and place them in rooms with a small group of people exactly like them - you have isolated them from the rest of their community. :eusa_doh:

So we're not going to allow the market to decide? Poor Tuck misses a lot of obvious shit.

So Mr. Sean Ryan here of Columbia University is on to discuss (promote?) a couple of "safe spaces" that Columbia has set up for their African-American students and their homosexual students. Tucker Carlson of Fox News wisely points out that this is going back to the days of segregation - and defeats the argument that diversity is critical.

Here is where things get really bizarre - Sean Ryan states that these spaces are vital because "isolationism" has caused a host of serious issues for students - including suicide. Yet neither he nor Tucker Carlson saw the obvious flaw here: creating these spaces is causing the isolation. When you take a subset of people out of their community and place them in rooms with a small group of people exactly like them - you have isolated them from the rest of their community. :eusa_doh:

Yes, I see the questionable logic here as well as the total disconnect from reality. When I was in college, segregation was still legal, but many, if not most, places had already desegregated. Certainly that was the case with most universities. So among my classmates in college were black people, brown people, Asian people, local Indians, a smattering of foreign student, along with white people who made up the majority.

But that was in the days before political correctness became a religion, but good manners and courtesy was expected of all in the culture. So bullying was not a blood sport and the student body did not go out of their way to make the minority students feel different or in need of a safe space.

That was also when universities encouraged critical thinking, logic, reason, and consideration and exchange of all manner of ideas. We had speakers on campus ranging from everything from the Temperance Society, Birchers, Communists, environmentalists, and military experts, and would you believe not a single student needed a 'safe space' to protect them from unpopular theories or ideology different from their own? And nobody would presume to be unkind or hostile to or treat any of those speakers with anything other than the utmost respect.

I long for higher education to return to a culture of good manners and respect and allow exchange of ideas and differences of opinion instead of being high priced indoctrination centers.

Yes, I see the questionable logic here as well as the total disconnect from reality. When I was in college, segregation was still legal, but many, if not most, places had already desegregated. Certainly that was the case with most universities. So among my classmates in college were black people, brown people, Asian people, local Indians, a smattering of foreign student, along with white people who made up the majority.

But that was in the days before political correctness became a religion, but good manners and courtesy was expected of all in the culture. So bullying was not a blood sport and the student body did not go out of their way to make the minority students feel different or in need of a safe space.

That was also when universities encouraged critical thinking, logic, reason, and consideration and exchange of all manner of ideas. We had speakers on campus ranging from everything from the Temperance Society, Birchers, Communists, environmentalists, and military experts, and would you believe not a single student needed a 'safe space' to protect them from unpopular theories or ideology different from their own? And nobody would presume to be unkind or hostile to or treat any of those speakers with anything other than the utmost respect.

I long for higher education to return to a culture of good manners and respect and allow exchange of ideas and differences of opinion instead of being high priced indoctrination centers.

The term "political correctness is often code, and it's been pretty well established that many whites prefer them good ole days where segregation was still the law of the land. It felt like a safe space to them.

The term "political correctness is often code, and it's been pretty well established that many whites prefer them good ole days where segregation was still the law of the land. It felt like a safe space to them.

You need a better class of friends. I don't know ANY people, white or any other color, who think segregation should be the law of the land. And safe spaces have nothing to do with that--my compliments on introducing a nice red herring though--but I do know people who refuse to consider any other point of view than the partisan or ideological one and who think college students should have places safe from any kind of scary ideas..

'94 to '96 I went to a Liberal Arts college (heavy on the Liberal) on a job retraining program. As a cowboy boot and hat wearing 45+ year old Conservative, many of the professors and most of the younger students basically ran me off of the campus. Professors gave me very low grades, even though many of my exams got good marks, simply because I would not, and could not, accept their truths on the superiority of Liberalism. I made the mistake of challenging the professors and resenting my views, observations, and experiences.

I went back to my grant administrator, showed him be evidence, and he put my grant on an indefinite hold. Several years later, after clearing a few hurdles, I was issued a new grant and got a degree in Integrated Computer Technology from a school that sought out and appreciated older students.

Here ya go, Fenton Lum

Last two safe space reminders

th

A lot of silly comments from older Americans above who still refuse to understand that America is not what they think it is today as well as what was when we were much younger.

This Republic is going forward not backwards to the culture and mores of the 1950s.

You all sound as out of touch as did my grandparents in the 1970s.

Life here and now is what it is RIGHT NOW, and the consistency of human existence is that it is always change.

It's been pretty well established that you are a bigoted, hateful moron.

Forum List

Back